News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Who had the advantage,
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:24:32 AM »
Tom Doak or Ran Morrissett ?

Was Doak's intimate familiarity with the architecture, the features and the spacial relationships an advantage or a disadvantage when he played against Ran ?

And, was Ran's total unfamiliarity with the architecture, the features and the spacial relationships an advantage or a disadvantage ?

Some golfers claim that they play a course better the first time as opposed to repeat play because they don't know where the trouble is.

How many find that applicable ?

Does repeat play reinforce the architectural positives or the negatives in terms of playability ?

John Keenan

Re:Who had the advantage,
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 04:05:10 PM »
Experience and knowledge are always an advantage. knowing where to and not to are of high value.

The benefit of a first time experience is I believe that you may be more aware since the surroundings are unfamiliar.

Point to experience
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 04:23:51 PM »
Patrick:

On 4-5 occasions, my best round on one of my own courses was my first.  I had visualized the shots to be played so many times, and mostly visualized executing them successfully, that it was easy to put those thoughts into action.  [It could also be partly that the greens were slower and it was easier to save pars after missed greens.]

Once I've played the course a few times, and missed a bunch of shots there, the confidence wears off.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 06:07:58 PM »
Tom,
I've beat the bastard on one of your courses. It took all 19 holes to do it, but I won, he lost.

Victory is so sweet.....

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:40:46 PM »

Some golfers claim that they play a course better the first time as opposed to repeat play because they don't know where the trouble is.

I would agree with this tee to green, especially when you are hitting the ball well. However, on the greens, local knowledge is king, and since "par" is roughly 50% made up by putting, I would say that Doak had the advantage.

Today, I hit the ball best that I have hit this year, but had two approach shots hit solid parts of the green and rolled off, and putted off of two greens at a new to me course. Next time will be different.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:48:50 PM »
I used to think I could go tee it up anywhere anytime and it wouldn't make much difference if I'd seen the course before or not. Now, other than the occasional dumb-luck round, I think I play significantly better on courses I've seen before. I understand the shots needed, what club is best suited to execute those shots, and most importantly, where to miss when I don't execute!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back