News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Joines

Chicago golf question
« on: August 22, 2006, 01:31:55 AM »
This week I have the opportunity to go to Chicago to play golf with a friend of mine. I can only fit in one round and our options are as follows:

North Shore CC
Sunset Ridge CC
Wynstone CC

Where should I decide to play?

I searched on here and google for information on these courses and couldn't find much. I saw that North Shore is a 1923 Colt/Alison design and that much has me intrigued. I would love to get some insight from anyone who has played these courses.

Thanks,
Brian

cary lichtenstein

Re:Chicago golf question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 01:41:19 AM »
Brian:

None of these courses are special.

I suggest you play Skokie CC located in Glenco, Il on the north side, same area as NorthShore.

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Paul Richards

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 07:17:38 AM »
brian

cary is correct.  play skokie if you have that option.

otherwise, Wynstone used to be on Golf Digests top 100 list, Sunset Ridge just went through a very successful restoration and North Shore is always a treat.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

tlavin

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 09:08:14 AM »
This week I have the opportunity to go to Chicago to play golf with a friend of mine. I can only fit in one round and our options are as follows:

North Shore CC
Sunset Ridge CC
Wynstone CC

I searched on here and google for information on these courses and couldn't find much. I saw that North Shore is a 1923 Colt/Alison design and that much has me intrigued. I would love to get some insight from anyone who has played these courses.

Thanks,
Brian

I disagree with the inference about North Shore.  It is a very good golf course which was recently re-bunkered and slightly changed.  It is a very challenging and enjoyable experience.  Wynstone is a disaster and Sunset Ridge is pleasant but sort of boring.

Brian Joines

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:23:06 AM »
As far as I know, Skokie is not an option. From the responses I have gotten it seems to go:

1. North Shore
2. Sunset Ridge
3. Wynstone

Thanks!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:34:47 AM »
Is Shores Acres an option?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brian Joines

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »
I wish Shoreacres was an option! That (along with Beverly) are on my short list of courses I really need to get to. I live about 2 hours outside of Chicago and don't have a whole lot of connections inside the Chicago golf world.

My friend is actually a member at another club in Chicago that is having the greens redone this summer. So his club sets him up at other clubs in the area and these are our options for this week. Hopefully in the future, I will get an opportunity to play some of the better courses in the area. For now, I'll have to take what I can get!

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 04:00:51 PM »
Of those three, North Shore, without question. A fine course, pro Tim O'Neal is a great guy, and there's some history there too. Enjoy!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »

North Shore CC
Sunset Ridge CC
Wynstone CC

Thanks,
Brian

I disagree with the inference about North Shore.  It is a very good golf course which was recently re-bunkered and slightly changed.  It is a very challenging and enjoyable experience.  Wynstone is a disaster and Sunset Ridge is pleasant but sort of boring.

why is Wynstone "a disaster"?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 09:44:21 PM »
what about a good public course to play on a monday up there?

JR Potts

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 09:45:40 PM »
Mistwood.

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 09:47:04 PM »
Mistwood is pretty good..any pretty cheap, I think

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 09:48:28 PM »
I am going up next monday and have my tuesday and wednesday plans set.  I have Cog Hill planned monday pm,  I was just wondering if there is anything better?

JR Potts

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 09:57:51 PM »
If you haven't played Cog Hill I would do so just because.  Plus, the back nine is pretty good.  Where are you plaing on Tuesday and Wednesday?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 09:58:15 PM by Ryan Potts »

ed_getka

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 09:58:34 PM »
Nick,
  Pine Meadow seemed to be the consensus last month when I was inquiring. If you don't mind driving, and haven't been, Lawsonia up in Wisconsin is worth the major detour. You can play all day for less than most 18 hole rounds, so go for the sleep deprivation and go check out a slice of golf heaven. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 10:01:36 PM »
Nick,
  Pine Meadow seemed to be the consensus last month when I was inquiring. If you don't mind driving, and haven't been, Lawsonia up in Wisconsin is worth the major detour. You can play all day for less than most 18 hole rounds, so go for the sleep deprivation and go check out a slice of golf heaven. :)
How far is Lawsonia?  Im staying in Oak Brook monday night.  

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 10:03:01 PM »
If you haven't played Cog Hill I would do so just because.  Plus, the back nine is pretty good are you plaing on Tuesday and Wednesday?
Thanks for the advice, thats what  I was thinking.  Im playing 4 other well know Chicago courses the other 2 days ;)

JR Potts

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 10:06:04 PM »
If you haven't played Cog Hill I would do so just because.  Plus, the back nine is pretty good are you plaing on Tuesday and Wednesday?
Thanks for the advice, thats what  I was thinking.  Im playing 4 other well know Chicago courses the other 2 days ;)

Why did you quote that horrible sentence?  Now it is forever locked into cybespace. ;D  It was supposed to say, where are you playing on Tuesday and Wednesday?

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 10:42:46 PM »
Since I have only played North Shore of the three, I'd have to go with that...it was a very enjoyable round of golf.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 06:08:32 AM »

Why did you quote that horrible sentence?  Now it is forever locked into cybespace. ;D  It was supposed to say, where are you playing on Tuesday and Wednesday?

PRETTY GOOD BACK NINE?????????????

whew, only pretty good, i only played it 100+ times, pretty good, i guess my standards are too low

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 06:35:46 AM »

PRETTY GOOD BACK NINE?????????????

whew, only pretty good, i only played it 100+ times, pretty good, i guess my standards are too low
Would you say it was darn good ? :)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 06:01:54 AM »
Nick:

The back nine at Cog Hill is pretty darn good, every hole has nuisances, excellent topography, you will enjoy it thoroughly

Cary

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 07:50:29 AM »
I played George Dunne during a quick trip to the Southside last week. I was rather impressed, particularly with the conditioning. The overall size of the course is incredible. Some of the largest tee and greens complexes I have ever seen. Each green appeared to be three or four greens combined. I am interested in comments from the Chicago Branch of the Treehouse.

PThomas

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
Rob - so the conditioning was good there?  I haven't been there in about 10 years because they had let the course go to S##t

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 10:18:07 AM »
Conditioning of the tees, fairways, greens was excellent! The rough was plush and should be avoided at all costs. Several of the bunkers have been renovated and the remaining will be done over time. Unfortunately there are so many and they are so large renovating all of them is a time consuming and costly.

My understanding is that the course is more like it was when it opened in the mid 80's as one of the Top 75 Daily Fee courses in the US.

All I can say is give it a shot! The cost is still nominal. George Dunne is probably one of the best values in Chicago!  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back