News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Why no golf courses in our National Parks?
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:21:42 PM »
Highland Links in Canada's National Park in Cape Breton got me thinking, Why aren't there golf courses in the National Parks in the US?

Great topography and good source of review, all positives.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

peter_p

Re:Why no golf courses in our National Parks?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:24:39 PM »
Cary,
Wawona Golf Course is in Yosemite National Park.
http://www.yosemiterentals.com/golf.htm

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:35:32 PM »
I played the Yosemite course. Fun but not much.

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 03:39:46 PM »
Devil's Golf Course, Death Valley National Park, California. It can get hot there on occasion.

Kebo Valley, a Leeds course near Bar Harbor, Maine, is technically not in Acadia NP, although it's completely surrounded by it.

Mike Hoak

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 03:42:50 PM »
I can think of two examples:

East Potomac Park Golf Course is on National Park Service property here in DC.  Great views of the monuments but mediocre course with horrible drainage.

For the Northern California guys, are any of the San Francisco courses (Presideo, etc) on land maintained by the Goldgen Gate National Recreation Area?

There are probably other examples.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 03:45:16 PM by Mike Hoak »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 05:49:13 PM »
The obvious answer seems to be: because National Parks are areas, where nature is to be protected.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 05:55:29 PM »
Because they don't belong there. At least not in the major parks such as Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, etc... There are plenty of great places to build golf courses, there aren't many places like the above mentioned parks.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 06:48:28 PM »
Highland Links in Canada's National Park in Cape Breton got me thinking, Why aren't there golf courses in the National Parks in the US?

Great topography and good source of review, all positives.
Three of Canada's great courses are in national parks - Banff, Jasper and Highland Links.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 07:09:11 PM »
Ed I agree with you. Our national Parks should have a different purpose. Canadas were built to be part of the draw for the railroads to get people out to see them.

tonyt

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 07:21:53 PM »
The best US model for public parkland and golf courses in co-existence seems to be similar to that which Bethpage exists on. Hardly a black mark I'm guessing.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 07:36:23 PM »
Because they don't belong there. At least not in the major parks such as Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, etc... There are plenty of great places to build golf courses, there aren't many places like the above mentioned parks.
Ed,

You mean you didn't see the course at Glacier Park just opposite the main lodge?

I played it once in my youth, but could not find it on golfcourse.com today.

Later addition: I found it on golflink with a google search. Glacier Park Golf Club at East Glacier, MT.

As I remember, you better hit it straight or perhaps own stock in Fortune Brands. :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 08:02:50 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

bakerg

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 07:54:36 PM »
Isn't The Bear Trail through Tennessee located in all State or National Parks?

wsmorrison

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 07:59:00 PM »
Flynn designed Yorktown CC on the Yorktown battlefield grounds using the earthworks as part of the design.  The failed resort development did stave off developers that wanted to maximize the build out so that when the place was finally purchased by the US government, the military sites and battlefields were intact.

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 08:08:43 PM »
 8)

because teddy roosevelt liked to hunt, not play golf...

plenty of state parks and metro-area park golf courses... a local need met locally...

i'll never forget being able to play for 50 cents before 10:00 AM!  Mow 1-2 lawns & I was good for the week including dog & soft ice cream at Dudley's at the 11th tee at Ottawa Park...
mom's would drop us off at 6:30 in the morning, we'd play 18 and play 5-7+ on the walk home.. depending if the marshall was still at #4 checking receipts...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Doug Ralston

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
BEST example of Parkland golf courses is the Kentucky State Park Signature Series. It is better than the rival RTJ Trail in Alabama! Sorry it is so obscure none of you have played these courses.

Doug

BTW, Great Smoky Mountains is the premier National park, not Yellowstone or Yosemite. Just so ya know.......

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 08:11:16 PM »
Speaking of Teddy,

There now is Bully Pulpit only a few miles from Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 08:13:01 PM »
BTW, Great Smoky Mountains is the premier National park, not Yellowstone or Yosemite. Just so ya know.......

Define "premier".

Most overcrowded?
Closest to a really tacky tourist trap?

;)

JR Potts

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 08:16:19 PM »
Now we drill for oil in them - why not play some golf in them?

Cory Lewis

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 08:28:16 PM »
Not National but, there is a wonderful RTJ designed course at Cacapon State Park in West Virginia.  If they improved the condition it might even be in the hidden gem category, mountainous and stunningly beautiful in the fall.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Steve Lang

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 08:32:53 PM »
 8)

Ohio has a nice set of state park golf courses along with KY & TN...

Lincoln State Park (? in KY) had the longest rought I've ever played at...  they only cut teh grass once a week!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Doug Ralston

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 09:16:45 PM »
Steve,

The park at Lincoln Homestead is a minor course. I am talking about the courses at Yateville Lake, Dale Hollow, Grayson, Lake, Pine Mountain, Kentucky Dam Village, and Mineral Mound. Four of these courses at least got much deservede recognition in Golf Digest Best New Lists the past few years. They are kept, for the most part, in immaculate condition, and are FAR better thaan the sad Bear [Nicklaus] Trail in Tennesse.

This is not just loyalty. I have played them all, and the two courses I have played that i most always want to return to, are The Yatesville Lake and Dale Hollow courses.

It is those six courses I have named above, plus at least two in progress, that are the Kentucky Signature Series. I have yet to meet anyone who played several of those and regretted it.

Do not take my word. Come here and play. You will save a ton of cash, play in some of the most beautiful natural areas, and I think the courses will not disappoint.

FYI: I do NOT work for the State of Kentucky ..... LOL.

Doug

Tim Bert

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 10:02:25 PM »
Yes, the Bear Trace courses in TN are all near or in state parks.  The problem is they aren't quite the scale of parks that would naturally draw enough visitors that they can keep a steady flow of golfers associated with the park traffic, as would some of the national parks mentioned here.

ed_getka

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 10:29:23 PM »
Garland,
   I did see that course at Glacier now that you mention it. Technically it is "in" the park, but not really since it is nowhere near the main part of the park a la Wawona GC at Yosemite.
Doug,
   I haven't been to the Great Smoky Mountains, but I would be beyond shocked if they can hold a candle to Yosemite and Glacier. I certainly do look forward to seeing the area sometime in the future. National parks are like anything else, it just comes down to personal preference, there really isn't a right and wrong. :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:30:34 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 09:02:27 AM »
I have always thought that Valley Forge National Park would make a great 36-hole golf course. This great piece of land appears to be wasted! The old huts could be converted to restrooms, snack bars and a caddie shack. The rolling hills and beautiful vistas would be well suited for golf. At least then more people could enjoy the property!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 11:25:54 AM »
Garland,
   I did see that course at Glacier now that you mention it. Technically it is "in" the park, but not really since it is nowhere near the main part of the park a la Wawona GC at Yosemite.
The course a Glacier was built for the same reason the courses at Jasper and Banff were built. In the case of Glacier, the Great Northern railroad built it to generate passenger rail fares. According to what I found, it was the first all grass course in Montana. Unfortunately nothing I found online listed an architect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back