News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Firestone vs Medinah
« on: August 21, 2006, 01:59:11 PM »
What are the differences...if any.

JohnV

Re:Firestone vs Medinah
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 02:07:19 PM »
Medinah - long dogleg holes, Firestone - long straight holes.  At least that is what it looks like from one of the blimp shots.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 02:09:36 PM »
In addition to the dl vs straight holes:

Medinah - Mostly natural trees, three water hazards on par 3 holes, some triangulated routing.

Firestone - Mostly planted trees, one water hazard on par 5 holes, back and forth routing.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:11:28 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:10:45 PM »
How do the greens compare..

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 03:49:03 PM »
I haven't played Medinah, but the greens at Firestone have quite a bit of tilt in them. I like the North Course better.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 03:50:18 PM »
I take it that the North Course is not the championship course...Could you be any more predictable.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 03:57:13 PM »
I take it that the North Course is not the championship course...Could you be any more predictable.

In general, I like the North Course better. The greens are probably more difficult on the North. The South is the championship, they would seem to be more tilted than Medinah. What is so predictable?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 03:59:48 PM »
You will find that Ritto Heads around here always prefer the second course at a 36 hole complex to the championship course.  It is a right of architectural passage.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 04:07:48 PM »
Maybe, but off hand, this is the only place where I would make this case for myself.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 04:28:41 PM »
John has me hook, line and sinker here re: Bethpage since I prefer the Red, but that's a 90 hole facility.

I think Medinah has more flexibility in setup than Firestone.

One could make Medinah a decent challenge.

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 05:30:57 PM »
It looks like there are more rolls in the fairway at Medinah. Can anyone confirm or deny?

JakaB, someone once wrote an article for GD or Golf hypothesizing about a mythical guy who preferred different courses at all the big places: Merion West, Winged Foot East, Pinehurst #4, etc. What do you think he'd pick at Bandon? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back