News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Martin Del Vecchio

Ryder Cup: It's Cink and Verplank
« on: August 21, 2006, 10:29:05 AM »
Lehman picks Cink and Verplank.

I'm surprised at Verplank.  Not that he isn't worthy; it's just that he was a captain's pick recently.

wsmorrison

Re:Ryder Cup: It's Cink and Verplank
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »
I was hoping Jerry Kelly would make it.

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 10:33:26 AM »
hopefully they won't beg off from 2 matches a day due to fatigue ::) ::) ::)

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:34:11 AM »
Wayne, I was about to type "yeah, but he missed the cut at the PGA" when I read that Verplank did the same.  With two double bogies in his last three holes...

At any rate, I'm excited that there is some new blood this year.  It will be interesting to see how the rookies handle it.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 10:36:15 AM »
I thought he would go for Cink and Love..Davis must have told him, he did not think he was worthy of a pick...because otherwise, I really think he would be there.

tlavin

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:37:37 AM »
Cink and Verplank are fine players, but this has to be one of the weakest (on paper) Ryder Cup teams in history.

Which means that they'll probably win going away, just to prove everybody wrong...

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 10:39:32 AM »
Cink and Verplank are fine players, but this has to be one of the weakest (on paper) Ryder Cup teams in history.

Which means that they'll probably win going away, just to prove everybody wrong...
Terry
My thinking also and I'm from the other side..

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 10:41:57 AM »
Terry,
I think you are absolutely correct, for once the US will go in as underdogs and come away with victory.

I think that Woosie will not be strong enough as as captain to rid the european players of that sense of favourites and they will lack their usual "the world is against us..so let's win" attitude.
That will be costly because Captain Lehman will certainly be playing that card in his locker room.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 10:49:33 AM »
Obviously he won't see it this way, but I think this year's Ryder Cup results rest squarely on Tiger Woods' shoulders. Playing at his current level, he ought to win five points for the U.S. He now has a compatible partner in Jim Furyk, but he ought to be able to win a match with almost any partner. His singles match should be a given.

I agree that it looks like a very weak U.S. team from 6-12, but it shouldn't matter, if Tiger decides it's important enough to win.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 10:54:20 AM »
Obviously he won't see it this way, but I think this year's Ryder Cup results rest squarely on Tiger Woods' shoulders. Playing at his current level, he ought to win five points for the U.S. He now has a compatible partner in Jim Furyk, but he ought to be able to win a match with almost any partner. His singles match should be a given.

I agree that it looks like a very weak U.S. team from 6-12, but it shouldn't matter, if Tiger decides it's important enough to win.

Don't see it.  Anything can happen in an 18 hole match play event.  Even more so in team competitions.  Tiger could play great in the best ball and alternate shot matches, and still lose.  

It really rests on the TEAM'S shoulders.

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 11:05:08 AM »
 How much of an impact do the captain's picks usually have?

Who is there at the bottom of the Euro's list that stands out as someone to fear?
AKA Mayday

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 11:11:54 AM »
Terry,
I think you are absolutely correct, for once the US will go in as underdogs and come away with victory.

I think that Woosie will not be strong enough as as captain to rid the european players of that sense of favourites and they will lack their usual "the world is against us..so let's win" attitude.
That will be costly because Captain Lehman will certainly be playing that card in his locker room.
Another interesting side issue that is important will be the Darren Clarke question.  Apparently Sandy Lyle has said that Clarke is currently thinking that he will make himself available and that if he does, Woosie will give him a wildcard pick.  If Clarke is in the European side there will be a lot of emotion in that locker room, with Harrington, McGinley and many other close friends of the Clarkes.  How that will affect the team dynamic God only knows.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 11:18:54 AM »
How much of an impact do the captain's picks usually have?

Who is there at the bottom of the Euro's list that stands out as someone to fear?
The bottom three of the European list (as it currently stands) are Harrington, McGinley and Olazabal.  All with lots of Ryder Cup pedigree.  

Outside those currently in the team at 11th on the European points list (remember the Europeans qualify from two lists, a World points list and a European points list, the top five from each, the top five from the World list looks pretty final, with Monty in the fifth slot) is Paul Broadhurst, at 15 is Thomas Bjorn.  Jiminez is at 18, Poulter at 21 and Westwood at 23.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 11:49:53 AM »
If Europe is smart enough to pick Bjorn and Clarke, this will be a blowout. Could be a 2 touchdown Ryder Cup. It doesn't take much these days to be a Captain's Pick from the US side. Just finish 5th in a few tournaments, be known as a grinder and you are in.

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 11:53:39 AM »
 Mark,

Thanks, I will be rooting for the Irishmen.
AKA Mayday

Philip Gawith

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 12:07:14 PM »
I also think the US will win - Europe will be punished for playing "Buggin's turn" with the captaincy and handing it over from the awesome Langer to the eminently fallible Woosie.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 12:21:25 PM »
Philip

I too think Langer should have kept the captaincy, but such is the show that is The Ryder Cup.  I do not care so much as to who wins.  I want to see good golf resulting in exciting matches.  Golf needs a spectacle this year.  

I do think that if Tiger drops his "not bothered" attitude and actually leads his team by grabbing a few extra points then the US will be hard to beat.  This of course is a BIG (and not likely) if.  The problem with Tiger in the Cup is that he is not feared like on the Tour.  

All in all I predict a Euro victory mainly because I do not think the US side has a leader.  The Euros have several - though their time is coming to an end and this is probably their last go.

Ciao

Sean

Can you cite some examples of Tiger's attitude. I think that it has been exemplary in the Ryder Cup. 3-1 in Singles.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 12:24:35 PM »
Philip

I too think Langer should have kept the captaincy, but such is the show that is The Ryder Cup.  I do not care so much as to who wins.  I want to see good golf resulting in exciting matches.  Golf needs a spectacle this year.  

I do think that if Tiger drops his "not bothered" attitude and actually leads his team by grabbing a few extra points then the US will be hard to beat.  This of course is a BIG (and not likely) if.  The problem with Tiger in the Cup is that he is not feared like on the Tour.  

All in all I predict a Euro victory mainly because I do not think the US side has a leader.  The Euros have several - though their time is coming to an end and this is probably their last go.

Ciao

Sean
Aside from Monty and Olly, which European leaders are approaching their last go?  Harrington, Clarke, Howell, Casey, Donald and Sergio who will presumably be half the team for the next 6 years.

Having said that I'm uncomfortable with the fact that Europe will, for the first time, be strong favourites.  The US team looks weak on paper but that means little in the Ryder Cup.  I too can see a surprise US victory.

CHrisB

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 12:46:10 PM »
I can't imagine the European side without Lee Westwood on it...or Darren Clarke for that matter.

It's refreshing to hear a more thoughtful, reflective captain like Tom Lehman (reminds me of Tom Watson in '93). A big departure from the fist-pumpin', cowboy hat wearin', "buckle your chin straps" utterin' Hal Sutton...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 12:53:08 PM »
Mark

Along with Clarke, Monty and Ollie are the leaders and they are getting old.  Perhaps Clarke will respark his career.  Only time will tell.  Unfortunately, the US side does not have a leader in the class of these three, but this could change for the next Cup.  I do not see anybody else on the Euro side leading their team.  This means it is all down to Faldo in 08.  Maybe he is stepping in at the right moment when he old rivals are past it.  I think this is his only hope of being successful.  

PS If Clarke does put his name in the hat and is selected then I suspect Westwood will be called up as well. Though I think Jiminez should get strong consideration.  

Ciao

sean
I can see Harrington becoming more of a leader and I suspect Sergio already fills that sort of role to an extent, something about the Spanish and the Ryder Cup.

I agree that Westwood would be a good pick if Clarke plays, his form seems to be slowly coming back and he has a great temperament for matchplay.

What's the view in the US on Wetterich?  Butch Harmon was vociferous in his criticism of him on Sky TV here after he appeared to quit on Friday.  I must say that his performance was highly unprofessional.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 01:28:10 PM »
Well,

If it wasn't for questions I might have about his back in those two-a-days, If captain, I would have stongly considered Freddie Couples for legendary inspiration and leadership - not to mention solid play under Ryder Cup pressue.

I know I would have made my first phone call to him asking his honest opinion of his back withstanding the grind.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:50:19 PM by Tom Zeni »

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 01:30:29 PM »
Whilst on paper the Europeans look the stronger overall team I think this favouritism could be their downfall.  Previous victories have been built on the back of an underdog spirit - one assumes Lehman is wise enough not to introduce his team as the twelve best golfers in the world as one previous US captain did!

I thought Lehman did a smart move by planning a team bonding trip to the K Club in the next couple of weeks but I hear that Tiger & Phil have alternative arrangements which are apparently uncancellable. This does tend to indicate that at least two of the US team haven't yet bought in to the team ethic!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Patrick Schultheis

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 02:43:44 PM »
I agree about Fred Couples.  He played very well just last year in the President's Cup.  He's also generally played well this year on the PGA Tour --- particularly in the Masters.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 03:11:58 PM »
I would have added Pavin to the U.S. side. There's nothing more demoralizing than getting beat by a guy who hits it 260 off the tee.

I think people forget that Pavin has roughly the same number of Tour wins and major championship victories as do Couples and Love—and Pavin notched his most recent win only a few weeks ago.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »
I agree about Fred Couples.  He played very well just last year in the President's Cup.  He's also generally played well this year on the PGA Tour --- particularly in the Masters.

Not exactly true.

He currently ranks 82nd on the money list.

He has two top 10s this year:  4th at the Nissan (in February) and 3rd at the Masters (in April).  Since the masters, his results are:  CUT, T25, CUT, 83, T48, CUT, WD, CUT.

That doesn't cut it in my book.  You have to go with somebody playing better.  Cink fits this bill (3 top 5s in July and August), but Verplank does not (except for a T4 at the Buick).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back