News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Matching 69's--What are the Odds?
« on: August 17, 2006, 02:42:38 PM »
So the three major winners paired together each shot 69 today. I've heard of players feeding off one another but that's taking it to an extreme.

So I guess if you've recently won a major or two the intimidation factor from playing with Tiger ain't what it used to be...

Tim Pitner

Re:Matching 69's--What are the Odds?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:46:58 PM »
Did they?  pgatour.com says that Ogilvy shot 70.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:47:05 PM »
So I guess if you've recently won a major or two the intimidation factor from playing with Tiger ain't what it used to be...

Tiger's intimidation factor RARELY matters in rounds 1 & 2.  Rare is the man who can face him down with both in contention in round 3, and extremely unique is the man who can do the same in round 4.

This is an interesting 3-way tie, however.

TH

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:07:21 PM »
Tim,

The leaderboard on the tournament site at PGA.COM shows 69 for Ogilvie. Tiger and Phil did it the usual way, four birdies and a bogey. Geoff did it the fun way, seven birdies, two bogeys and a double.

Oh, and good playing by my local hero Lucas Glover at six under.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:23:46 PM »
Tim,

The leaderboard on the tournament site at PGA.COM shows 69 for Ogilvie. Tiger and Phil did it the usual way, four birdies and a bogey. Geoff did it the fun way, seven birdies, two bogeys and a double.

Even the PGA Tour's website is flawed--it says Ogilvy shot 70 when he actually shot 69, and it says that Goosen shot 69 when he actually shot 70.  Like the FedEx Cup is going to work . . .

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 07:32:20 PM »
7 Birdies in Ogilvy's 69, made a costly error on 16.

What did Ogilvie shoot, seeing as so many of you are talking about him?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 06:48:07 PM »
This is an example of why Vegas loves proposition bets (are there any bets that they don't love when they can set the odds?).

You would have to get higher odds than 1,840 to 1 for a bet that was for a specific threesome to all finish at 69 to have an expected value above zero.

The seemingly possible is actually highly improbable. If I counted correctly only 11 players shot 69 out of 136.

noonan

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 07:40:31 PM »
Did anyone see Tiger, Steve, and Ogilvy laugh at Phils tee shot on 17 as they walked away from the tee?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back