News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

O/T Firefox
« on: August 16, 2006, 02:43:29 PM »
BRAVE NEW THINGS GOING ON WITH FIREFOX
[/b]
[/i]
[/url]

I've been using Firefox for at least two years now, and I'm just amazed how this is the best of the internet broswers in the world. Yes, sometimes the thing does get a bit quirky, but it's all worth it in the long run considering all of the Downloads, Extensions and Themes at your choice.

The coolest NEW Extension, is BBC Code Extra

When Pat Mucci gets ahold of this, the sky is the colorful limit! (UGH!)
[/b]

There are a lot of other cool extenstions and feature like Copy It! and others, Do check them out.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:18:20 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

HamiltonBHearst

Re:O/T Firefox
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 04:18:02 PM »

Pat would not have to use3 all the colors if he did not have to constantly correct all the ridiculous arguements made by others on this site...

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 05:12:25 PM »

Pat would not have to use3 all the colors if he did not have to constantly correct all the ridiculous arguements made by others on this site...

What you talkin' about Hammy?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Anthony Butler

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 06:34:37 PM »

Pat would not have to use3 all the colors if he did not have to constantly correct all the ridiculous arguements*** made by others on this site...

*** Two words, Hamster. SPELL CHECK. Though it is funny how that you and Dan Quayle both love the extra e.
Next!

Anthony Butler

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 06:36:47 PM »
BRAVE NEW THINGS GOING ON WITH FIREFOX
[/b]
[/i]
[/url]

I've been using Firefox for at least two years now, and I'm just amazed how this is the best of the internet broswers in the world. Yes, sometimes the thing does get a bit quirky, but it's all worth it in the long run considering all of the Downloads, Extensions and Themes at your choice.

The coolest NEW Extension, is BBC Code Extra

When Pat Mucci gets ahold of this, the sky is the colorful limit! (UGH!)
[/b]

There are a lot of other cool extenstions and feature like Copy It! and others, Do check them out.

What operating system you running it on? Safari is pretty good with OS X I must say.
Next!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 07:52:29 PM »
I'm on OSX (and Win XP on the notebook) and frankly, I don't think Safari holds a candle to Firefox, even though they are similar in some respects. It's really not even close--especially with the newest Firefox version which I have yet to dowload on this XP powered notebook.

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 08:50:58 PM »
Funny, I keep thinking of 'THUNDERBIRDS'.  I'm sure there was a firefox episode and it didn't rock.  Another International Rescue mission.

I'll have a look this weekend.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 09:40:46 PM »
This is only [size=22]a[/size] test!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JohnV

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 10:17:47 PM »
I love Firefox

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 11:27:13 PM »
I've had a few IM me telling me the positives of Safari. It is all a matter of personal choice, but then again, it is also a matter if your using Apple or not!

I have to say that Apple is an amazing machine.

Along with FIREFOX!!!!

Reasons I like Firefox with new Ultimate BBcode Extra

• Saves time when making posts and having to type in all of the brackets and other codes.
  • Color is Mucho easier.
  • You can make these cool lists!.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 01:54:08 AM »
Besides the typical techie stuff like evangelizing the use of standarized HTML I just can't thank the Firefox crew enough for blessing the world with tabbed browsing.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 02:20:40 AM »
Besides the typical techie stuff like evangelizing the use of standarized HTML I just can't thank the Firefox crew enough for blessing the world with tabbed browsing.

Eric,
Try this extension called Colorful Tabs. It's pretty cool.

Colorful tabs
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:22:03 AM by Tommy Naccarato »

Doug Siebert

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 04:04:34 AM »
Damn, at first I thought that extension would change Patrick's technicolor posts into black and white so that they might be readable!  The last thing we need here is more people posting in a variety of colors, if that happens the list of those waiting to get into the 1500 will become one shorter...

Firefox does rock though, I've been using it (and Mozilla, its predecessor) for about 4 years now.  The Adblock Plus extension in combination with the Adblock Filterset.G Updater make web browsing so much nicer.  Most of the annoying ads on web pages are just gone, not just the popups but all those damn animated ads on the top and sides that are deliberately annoying to try to get your attention.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 04:14:39 AM »
It's not so much that it's easier to do colors, easier to do the neccessary code like italics, bold, underlining, images etc.

Then there is this really cool list thing, which allows you to get the bullets.

ForkaB

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 04:17:44 AM »
Browsers like "Firefox" are to interesting internet communication as waterfalls and frilly laced edge bunkers are to interesting golf course architecture.

I'll bet Ted Robinson uses Firefox........ :o
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 06:52:14 AM by Rich Goodale »

Anthony Butler

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 08:22:09 AM »
Browsers like "Firefox" are to interesting internet communication as waterfalls and frilly laced edge bunkers are to interesting golf course architecture.

I'll bet Ted Robinson uses Firefox........ :o

Rich,

Are you still using your Marc Andressen signed copy of Mozilla? That's a good scottish browser.

arb:
P.S. I agree with whoever said this where Netscape would be if they were still in the browser business. Also, to all you people who are turning off your ads, that money goes to feed my family so turn them back on! (You can keep pop-up blocker on though..)
Next!

wsmorrison

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 08:26:43 AM »
I love Firefox (in use for 2 years) and like Thunderbird quite a bit.  Simply better than anything Microsoft offers and at no cost.  Speaking of excellence in software, I hope everyone is on Skype.  I talk to my GCA buddies and conduct business on Skype and it is terrific.  I sent James B of OZ nearly 200 photos that he took of Merion East and West on my camera (his crapped out) yesterday and had a bit of a chat as well.  On the same day I had a nice telephone chat to Norway with Brian Phillips.  Nice to talk (great clarity) for $0 or Kronen or whatever.

ForkaB

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 08:32:53 AM »
No, arb

My browser is a "HeyJimmie!!" v.1967 Slim Jim Baxter model.  It gives you a verbal heid butt if you type in "England" for "Scotland," but not vice versa.

Yong punks like Mucci and Naccarato can play with all these colours if they want to, but they put most mmebers to sleep, which is probably what they want to do as it saves them from being subject to any serious critical analysis.

och aye, rhic

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »
Rich, Good then. You won't be able to see this:

K I S S M Y B I G F A T A S S

Tom Zeni

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 11:10:56 AM »
I would tell you, that if you have high speed cable modem, it doesn't matter one twit as to which browser you're using.

Bells and whistles, are cute for awhile. But, just like having them on your car, in short order you don't use them. Hell, I know I've never used those pop-out cup holders in the back seat. Where were those when we still had Drive-In's?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 12:31:59 PM »
I would tell you, that if you have high speed cable modem, it doesn't matter one twit as to which browser you're using.

Nonsense, with a high speed cable modem you can catch viruses with IE much faster than with other browsers.  Oh, and the pop-ups come much quicker with IE too.   :)
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 04:57:17 PM »
Tom,
In backing up with Kevin is saying, the security issues with IE are legendary. With Firefox and Safari both, I have never seen a pop-up I didn't want. As far as the bells and whistles, well, I can honestly say I'm using all of them quite often. Auto Copy for instance. You hilight the text you want and it hits the "Apple"-"C" or "Ctrl"-"C" keys for you. I've got these plesant little icons below which contain the weather this very moment in La Habra, as well as the next 7 days or more if I want it. Tab Browsing, well frankly, I can't even think of not being able to operate the internet without it anymore!

It actually bugs me to see the IE "e" anywhere on my computer!

As far as download issues, I might be wrong here, but I have had nothing but trouble trying to download with IE. With Firefox, and especially with Down Them All!--a Firefox extension, it is faster then I have ever come across anything regardless of the connection being T1, Cable or DSL. Maybe an impossibility, but I swear to you this thing is blazing fast.

Chris Burgard

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 05:09:17 PM »

And I thought that Firefox was an extra-mediocre Clint Eastwood movie!!

;D

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 05:31:48 PM »
Chris,
Uncle George Bahto got me into this Microsoft Flight Simulator game a while back and it was like nightly I was downloading planes flying over all over every  great golf course I could think of.  One of those planes, one oof my very favorites was in fact the Firefox MIG-31.

Man does that plane fly!

Unfortunately it doesn't fly like it did in the movies! I have one image I took of me taking off from SFO (san Francisco for you non-aviation types.) and my flight path took me right over Cal Club, Lake Merced, SFGC, Oly and Harding Park. as soon as I got over Burlingame, more to buzz my good friend Gib Papazian's residence, I hit the afterburners and put the MIG-31 through it paces. I pulled back the stick, hit the throttle to those two huge Tumansky Turbojets and blazed the San Francisco sky. Now it's important when flying the Firefox to think it Russian. I had a problem with this, but eventually I managed to say something that directed the plane to set it course above Pebble Beach and the rest of the Monterey Peninsula. Or maybe it was just the advanced electronics of the Firefox MG-31 Russian Aircraft being able to read my one-tract mind?

Tom Zeni

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 06:03:25 PM »

Nonsense, with a high speed cable modem you can catch viruses with IE much faster than with other browsers.  Oh, and the pop-ups come much quicker with IE too.   :)

Kevin and Tommy,

Speed is relative. I think we're talking nano-seconds. I'd also explain that Comcast, my ISP, provides McAfee with it's service. I don't have viruses, and I don't have pop-ups. What I do have is fast, quick, and easy downloads not to mention instantaneous page viewing. This makes my assessment easier since I am not troubled by all the problems the two of you seem to be, or have, encountered.

If someone is encountering problems, then I understand trying a different browser. I've tried Firefox and Opera. Both quick. Both left me wanting, because both slow the more you use them - as the program enlarges from use.  Someone also needs to provide me with how much faster Firefox actually is. Also when considering speed, Firefox begins as a smaller program.

All I need is friendly, familiar, and fast.   ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back