News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

OB Right
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:33:32 PM »
I played in a tournament this weekend with OB tight on the right side on the first 4 holes.  It bit me - I hit one out on the 2nd and then hit it in the trees left for the next two holes.  

Nonetheless, I think the sequence of holes is actually a pretty good stroke play test. You want to hit it down the middle, but need to have confidence to do so.  Facing the same risk for 4 consecutive holes seems to have a geometric effect.  

I know OB left is more common because of the tendency of many to slice.  Nonetheless, I think OB right and the possibility of re-teeing a blocked shot is much more interesting for tournament play.

PThomas

Re:OB Right
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 12:35:50 PM »
related to this Jason is a public course near Chicagoland where the last three holes have water on the right side of the fairway

heaven help the slicers there!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Chris Perry

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 12:49:24 PM »
This gives me a chance to rant about this issue so please excuse the digression here.

[rant on]

Considering I play army golf and never know if I'm going to slice or pull-hook one, I think the OB rule should be abolished in favor of a lateral.

I'm not sure why anyone who isn't blessed with being able to hit it straight all the time should have to (possibly) blast 3 drives in a row in the same place and just card a double par and walk off the tee to the next hole.

One: If OB is staked for safety/property reasons, why would you want someone who's prone to hitting it there to re-tee it and possibly do it again?

Two: How is this supposed to speed up play as opposed to dropping at point of entry?

[rant off]

And yes, I'll admit I just hate the fact that it adds an extra stroke compared to a lateral drop.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 01:01:06 PM »
In the spirit of Chris Perry

[rant on]

I played a course in the area that had 18 OB left. What were they thinking? Maybe they should make all carries to the fairway to long for women and punish another significant constituency! I left my driver in the car and managed net below par. So much for an unnamed persons theory that all high handicappers to too dumb to not hit driver every hole.

[rant off]

[rant 2 on]

I played a course in the area that Golf Digest puts up amongst the best in state. All 9 OBs were left.

I had a lefty friend that was a member there. What was he thinking? :)

[rant 2 off]
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 01:20:52 PM »
Victoria GC in Melbourne features OB right on the first 4 two-shotters, although, the boundary is replete with tall coniferous trees that tend to keep balls in play.

TK

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 01:28:08 PM »
related to this Jason is a public course near Chicagoland where the last three holes have water on the right side of the fairway

heaven help the slicers there!

In Course Rating terms that is known as "bogey water." ;)

JohnV

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 01:29:19 PM »
Garland, I was once a member of a course that had OB on the left on 17 holes.  I never hooked the ball until I went there and then spent 8 years trying to get rid of it. :(

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 01:34:16 PM »
One of the ways you can tell that Raynor never played the game is by all the OB rights he put on his courses...Bendelow saw the flaw in this and reversed the trend with the proper OB left..

Tim Taylor

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 01:50:46 PM »
My home course has OB right on every single hole. Granted, in many of those places you have to hit it waaaaaaaaaaay off line to go OB. But when I realized that it was EVERY SINGLE HOLE, I was kind of shocked. Such is the price for having a course nestled in the development of Northern Virginia.

Tim

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 01:55:55 PM »
There's a course in Scotland that has OB Right on, I believe 16 of the holes.  Perhaps you have heard of it?  The Old Course at St Andrews.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 02:09:36 PM »
There's a course in Scotland that has OB Right on, I believe 16 of the holes.  Perhaps you have heard of it?  The Old Course at St Andrews.

Part of the way I survied 18 holes of OB left was to play towards the parallel fairway as you can at St. Andrews. The course with nine holes OB left, had no option to play safely to the right.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JohnV

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 02:31:42 PM »

I think it is no more than 14 (8-11 don't I believe) and I'm not sure if all the ones going out are OB or just gorse.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 02:37:31 PM »
In the greater Philadelphia area, it's hard to beat Whitemarsh for OB  right starting at #5 through #12. Play a couple rounds there and you get the dreaded Whitemarsh Hooks. Lest I give you the wrong impression, I really, really enjoy the course!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

tlavin

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 02:47:54 PM »
Slicers beware!  Beverly CC in Chicago has OB right on #2, #4, #5, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13 and #18.  I long ago developed a slight draw off the tee...

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 03:15:44 PM »
I'm surprised that people think of OB right as an incentive to develop a draw.  To me OB right is a bigger problem for a draw because of the tendency to leave some shots right.  If you start it left, it needs to be a big slice to get out.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back