News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Dakota Dunes / Canada
« on: August 02, 2006, 12:55:37 PM »
Can someone who might know tell me how fare a drive it is from the from the far northern point of the ND / MT statelines to the Dakota Dunes Golf Links which is just south of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

I have heard from a few media people I truly respect that the course is simply a stunner -- if memory serves -- I do remember comments that came from some here on GCA.

How good is the course and is a special trip worth it ?

Thanks ...

George Pazin

Re:Dakota Dunes / Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:59:49 PM »
Hopefully one of our Canadian posters will chime in, but here's a start:

http://www.dakotadunes.ca/
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 02:00:49 PM »
George:

Thanks -- the link had already been sent to me.

Dave Kemp

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 02:43:53 PM »
Matt,

Fortuna, ND to Saskatoon is 287 miles according to Google Map.  Have not been but hear it is quite good.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 02:44:19 PM by Dave Kemp »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:18:12 PM »
Here is a link to Rob Thomson's review of the course:  http://www.ontgolf.ca/blogs/2006/05/06/course-review-dakota-dunes-mixed-results/

His conclusion:  "It is too bad that it doesn't quite deliver the goods, though it is a solid golf course with some fine attributes."

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 06:03:37 PM »
I read the review and it seems like a mixed bag -- has anyone played the course this year ?

The photos look spectacular but I have to wonder if the course is all hat and little / no cattle.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 06:09:52 PM »
I read the review and I have to ask:

Did Messrs. Ward and Thomson go to the same golf writing school?

Their styles are eerily similar.

;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 06:10:06 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 06:17:42 PM »
Huck:

The secret is now out -- I have been cloned -- sort of like the Body Snatchers -- a copy will likely be invading the lower Bay Area shortly too. :o

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 06:19:20 PM »
Huck:

The secret is now out -- I have been cloned -- sort of like the Body Snatchers -- a copy will likely be invading the lower Bay Area shortly too. :o

;D ;D ;D
We'd love to have either the real thing or the clone here, for sure.

;D

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 06:21:41 PM »
Matt,

The drive between Regina and Saskatoon is about 2 1/4 -2 1/2 hours, so I would estimate from the border that it will take you between 4 and 4 1/2 hours. I believe Ian Andrew played there yesterday or today, check his website shortly because he'll be posting on the experience.

If you do venture to Saskatoon, check out Moon Lake and Riverside.

TK

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 06:23:04 PM »
Tyler:

Many thanks ... if you have played the course can you give me a personal idea on where you would place it among the best courses you have ever played ?

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 06:25:21 PM »
Matt,

I haven't been to Saskatoon since the course was built, sorry, although living only 7 hours away, I'll be sure to make the trip in the near future.

TK

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 06:34:13 PM »
Tyler:

My concern is that going that FAR to play golf it needs to be a drop-dead home run type course. The review says otherwise and right now I'm likely going to pass unless Ian or someone else can convince me.

The photos look good but people have been known to take great photos with little depth behind them.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 02:00:35 AM »
Matt,

Not sure exactly where your Canadian entry point will be, but if you're in the extreme northwest corner of North Dakota, you'll head up highway 85 into Saskatchewan, and continue on #35 through Weyburn, then on to Regina [my hometown, pop. 200,000] and then Saskatoon. 183 km [114 miles] on decent highway to Regina from the U.S. border, and then 249 km [156 miles] on excellent divided highway into Saskatoon. You'll find Dakota Dunes south of the city.

I played Dakota Dunes two years ago, shortly after it had opened, and will be playing it again in about 2 weeks when I'm up there again.

I would echo Tyler's comments...if you have time, check out "Moon Lake" and "Riverside". Riverside is a private course, and probably the #1 course in the province.

Dakota Dunes won Golf Digest's award last year[?] for "Best New Course in Canada", for what it's worth. It is a Wayne Carleton design, working out of Graham Cooke's western office.

JJ

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 10:52:13 AM »
JJohnson:

Thanks for the info - for me to make a side trip to a place that is fairly remote I have to have definitive info from a few sources that speak clearly to what the design is about.

The pictures look great and I believe I will get there to play --don't believe it will happen this time around because of a packed itinerary already.

Any other course details I look forward to reading.

Is the course in the top of those located in westerm Canada ?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 10:57:02 AM »
That would probably be Jasper and/or Banff which probably aren't all that much farther.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 11:05:13 AM »

Matt,

No. It may have a shot in the prairies, but not Western Canada, which features Banff, Jasper, Capilano and Blackhawk (Edmonton).

TK

Doug Ralston

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 11:18:07 AM »
I must admit the we have, on occasion, went on long drives to courses based completely on the photography we see on the website. Usually, we have not been disappointed. Good courses generally photograph well.

That said, getting player comments can lead us to courses where they simply did not have adaquet photography to do them justice. This is especially true of those 'hidden gem' country courses that surprise us occasionally.

One course I likely will never be getting to play, because of distance, but love the photos, is in Northern Minnesota; The Wilderness at Fortune Bay. Gratz to a certain architect on this site ....... nice pix! [Yes, I saw the Giant's Ridge courses too ..... some great public golf up there!].

Anyway, do not be afraid to try something uncertain. A day playing golf on a course somewhat less than you hoped, is, afterall, a day playing golf! That can't be too bad.

Doug

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 12:21:42 PM »
Doug:

Appreciate the philosophy of traveling -- trust me -- I have done mucho in my lifetime and much of it centered around golf courses. As I get older I have lost the patience to play courses that are superior for their neck of the woods but really are just a face in the crowd when stacked up against top tier competition.

I really like the way Dakota Dunes looks -- next time I'll be sure to factor in some time to play there.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 07:09:49 PM »
Matt,

I scrounged up some photos from my round a couple of years ago; "just what you need, more photos, EH"? [in an understated Canadian "accent"]  ;)

Unfortunately, as Rob Thompson said in his review, I also found it difficult to recall the holes after the round...thus, just pics below, no commentary...

Fourth pic...my bud is doing an impression of, hmmm, hell, I have no idea...

The hole he is standing in front of is their "signature" par-3.

I personally enjoyed the course, although I would have to play it again to get a better grasp of what was out there. [which I will do in a few days; perhaps I can report back]. The day we played was in a bit of a gale, on a hot summer day, so the wind really was a challenge. The course is long, 7,400 yards I believe from the tips, although we didn't play them.

If you ever plan on getting up this way, shoot me an IM and maybe we can get a round in, either there or at a relatively new course called Deer Valley just northwest of here.

JJ

Ian Andrew

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 06:15:35 PM »
If anyone wants to see some recent photos of the course, I have posted them on my blog. It was the latest entry.

I loved the land, liked the course, and struggled with some of the detailed work. I would still say it's worth the effort to see since it is one of the best Canadian sites I've seen developed (and I mean of any Canadian course). There are some really great holes like the 3rd, 12th and 14th that are excellent uses of the natural land. The fairway contours are really a treat to play on, I loved all the awkward stances, that's what I miss in most of modern golf.

Matt, go see it if you can.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 06:20:31 PM »
Ian:

The photos are appreciated -- please do not think they don't help because they do.

From the considerable number of courses you have played where would you assess Dakota Dunes -- top quarter of all Canadian courses? Even higher?

I'm trying to get a firmer grasp and I need people to push courses against one another in order for me to see their reasoning flushed out through an assortment of comparisons and contrasts.

I like the way the greens sit in some very natural areas.

My trip west this time is limited for time purposes but I may still be able to squeeze things around.

Thanks ...

Jim Johnson

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 01:56:54 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing Dakota Dunes again this past weekend. Weather was great...30 Celsius, and a light breeze. Below are some more pics and a brief description for each...

A view of #4 from the forward tee...par-4, 484 yards from the tips, #1 handicap hole on the scorecard.

This shot is taken from near the landing zone on #4. The best angle into the green is from the left side, but will leave you with a blind approach shot. You can take advantage of the slope above and left of the green (in front of the bunker) to feed the ball down onto the putting surface.

Below is a view from the tees of #6, a par-3 of 176 yards. As the scorecard states, club selection is crucial, the prevailing wind can knock down shots into the front bunkers.

View from the tees of #7, a par-5 of 546 yards.

This is the view from the back tee of hole #12, a par-4 of 438 yards. Sand dunes both left and right of the landing zone make the drive critical. Trust me. I lost my ball on the right side, somewhere in that mess.

Taken from behind the 12th green.

The tee shot view on hole #14, a par-4 of 450 yards. Aim for the sandy waste bunker on the right side, for the best angle to the green, which is past the power cart on the left.

The view from closer to the landing zone on #14. A perfect angle to the flag. The green site on this hole is set in a natural bowl, and features one of the largest greens on the course.

This is #15, their "signature hole", a par-3 of 176 yards. The waste bunker that you see left of the green actually extends all the way across the front of the green, just above a deep ravine. Played downhill, the shot is one or two clubs less. Balls hit to the right side of the green will feed down to the left half of the green.

This shows the size of the green on hole #17, a par-3 of 204 yards. The green measures some 13,000 square feet, and can produce putts of up to 150 feet. I was fortunate to 2-putt from about 100 feet.

Overall, I echo Ian's sentiments. I too, loved the land, and enjoyed the course. I absolutely loved the fairway contours on many of the holes, particularly the first. He's right, go see it if you can.

JJ

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back