News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Update--The Bridge
« on: July 29, 2006, 01:56:25 AM »
The link below gives an interesting perpsective on one of our favourite courses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/fashion/sundaystyles/30BRIDGE.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Matt_Cohn

Re:Update--The Bridge
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 02:11:33 AM »
Are there really "a lot" of guys who make $100 million a year and work at a 4-foot-wide desk? What do they do?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 08:17:02 AM »
Interesting article from a sociological view. Some observations:

1. Sebonack a "hip-hop" club? I doubt it.

2. No mention was made of Friars Head or East Hampton. Why not?

3. The reference to Atlantic was clear in its intent as to its need in filling a void in the area.

4. The reference to Rubin rejecting membership candidates was interesting and contrary to the view that all one needs is money, and a lot of it, to join his club.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 08:46:13 AM »
Transfered from the "Access" thread;

"James Morgan:

Thanks for the link to the NT Times article on The Bridge. I love it---The Bridge is definitely pushing "The Big World" theory when it comes to a type and style of golf CLUB.  :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 08:46:46 AM by TEPaul »

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 10:50:45 AM »
At least the Bridge is trying to be unique and different, I respect that.  So many new clubs just try to carbon copy the classics and are left as cheap (or not so cheap) imitations.

It's good to see a place going after their own identity.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 08:37:18 PM »
Guys,

This is a "candy" or "puff" piece in the NYT and probably only because of certain contacts, relationships or lack there of with other nearby clubs/courses. The place isn't half of what the article pretends for it sound like.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 05:45:35 PM »

not exactly my cup of tea but ???

I have a hard time believing there is much more than a foursome that are members at Bridge and Maidtsone,NGLA,SHGC.  Of course, it probably sells memberships.

The only good that can come is my clubs will have to send out fewer rejection notices.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 06:20:45 PM »
Hammy - I did a GHIN search a while back and I swear that I saw you were a member at the Bridge and keeping a handicap there! Nice playing  too if I recall.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 06:21:44 PM by Geoffrey Childs »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 09:34:31 PM »
Hammy - I did a GHIN search a while back and I swear that I saw you were a member at the Bridge and keeping a handicap there! Nice playing  too if I recall.

Yes Geoff, I saw the same thing. I suspect his normal foursome is rounded out with Thurston Howell, Claus Von Bulow and either Randolph or Mortimer Duke.

BTW.....How much do you think Rubin paid to some NYT-related entity for the PR?
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Michael Dugger

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 09:38:56 PM »
The esteemed Mr. Hearst is indeed upper crust.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 02:43:20 AM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 10:11:06 PM »

Yes Geoff, I saw the same thing. I suspect his normal foursome is rounded out with Thurston Howell, Claus Von Bulow and either Randolph or Mortimer Duke.

BTW.....How much do you think Rubin paid to some NYT-related entity for the PR?

Yes Steve but I think its Thurston Howell Jr that's the member of the Bridge. I don't believe Sr. would wear his shirt out unless he was just out picking coconuts with Gilligan.

Do you think Rubin is the only one with a marketing strategy.  I've seen some pretty outrageous marketing ads and claims lately.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 12:33:38 AM »
Are there really "a lot" of guys who make $100 million a year and work at a 4-foot-wide desk?

Yes.

What do they do?

Hedge fund managers.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Noel Freeman

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 07:49:19 AM »
I recently spoke with a hedge fund manager who lives 8 minutes from the Bridge and is considering joining.  I told him of my recollections of the course and considering the joining fee (600k), I wanted to make sure he knew about other options.  Alas, Friars Head is too far for him and he wants a place his kids can go no worries and the wife won't be too upset if he's gone as he's close by--he lives in Bridgehampton.  Still that is a lot of cash to burn but I think he may join.  Isn't Noyac better value for that matter?  Hopefully this gentleman who isnt worried about $ will join Sebonack instead.

It has to be the ugliest clubhouse I've ever seen though..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 07:50:23 AM by Noel Freeman »

Anthony Butler

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 08:09:38 AM »
I suppose this is a little like getting your wedding mentioned in the NYT as well ......

It seems that The Atlantic was first to allow men, women and all races as equals "without prejudice" out there - Good on them

Now The Bridge is the first to allow shirttails out. WOW!

Too bad Bob-O-Link in Chicago already has had guys playing in their underwear for years ....

I guess that there is no further frontier to cross.  :'(

I seem to recall Groucho Marx and his brother Harpo going one better than Lakeside's rule of 'shirts optional' with some 'pants optional' holes away from the clubhouse.

BTW-When it comes to non traditional clubhouses, the National on the Mornington Peninsula takes some beating. When you're playing up 18, it looks like your round will be followed by an meeting on 'matters of national security'.

https://www.nationalgolf.com.au/index.cfm?pageIndex=1&CFID=42840&CFTOKEN=52806430
Next!

ForkaB

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 08:30:29 AM »
Anthony

Like that picture!

One of the reason I started this post was I absolutley love the Bridge clubhouse.  Frank Lloyd Wright on acid, and the roof probably doesn't leak.......

As for the club, it's punk golf with addtional attitude and zeros in the bank account.

As for me, I've got that 4 foot desk and the $100mm/year income, but the dollars are Zimbabwean, alas.... :'(

Steve Lapper

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 09:48:24 AM »
I recently spoke with a hedge fund manager who lives 8 minutes from the Bridge and is considering joining.  I told him of my recollections of the course and considering the joining fee (600k), I wanted to make sure he knew about other options.  Alas, Friars Head is too far for him and he wants a place his kids can go no worries and the wife won't be too upset if he's gone as he's close by--he lives in Bridgehampton.  Still that is a lot of cash to burn but I think he may join.  Isn't Noyac better value for that matter?  Hopefully this gentleman who isnt worried about $ will join Sebonack instead.

It has to be the ugliest clubhouse I've ever seen though..

Noel,

Be sure to tell your friend that Noyac is indeed a better value but he should plan on waiting no less than 8-10yrs for entry. Also, let him know that getting into Sebonack will be quite difficult regardless of his income or net worth. In fact, his residential venue will significantly work against him.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back