News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Dream 18s in SI Golf Plus
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:07:24 PM »
My friend has a subscription to the Golf Plus version of Sports Illustrated.  Before the Masters, he mentioned to me, knowing my interest in golf architecture, that his latest issue included a Dream 18 listing from Alister Mackenzie.  I was surprised to say the least, given the lack of attention to golf architecture in most modern golf magazines.  However, the dream 18 turned out to be excellent, compiled by some of GCA's finest, with a routing and map by Gil Hanse drawn in the Mackenzie style!  The US Open issue then yielded a Tillinghast dream 18 in honor of Winged Foot, and the most recent issue, highlighting the British Open, having a dream 18 for the beloved HS Colt.  With my friend feeding me these issues, I have been exicted to see this in a golf magazine.

Has anyone else seen this, besides those who compiled the lists?  Does anyone on the inside know if there will be a list for Donald Ross when the Tour Championship at East Lake rolls around?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tom Huckaby

Re:Dream 18s in SI Golf Plus
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:20:34 PM »
JNC - those have been much-discussed at the time each came out.  Geoff said the next one is apparently a best of Chicago for PGA, and then there will be a Palmer dream 18 pre-Ryder Cup.  I might have that wrong, however...

They are exceedingly cool.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 12:37:11 PM »
It would be great to see that if somebody could post it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 12:37:46 PM »
It would be great to see that if somebody could post it.

Geoff did post the Colt one - search or go back about 10 pages... I'm too lazy.

TH

JNC Lyon

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 01:10:28 PM »
I'm trying to remember the details of the Colt course.  I know there were a bunch of holes from Swinley forest, original 17th hole at Hoylake, that hole from St. George's hill on the front of the THE LINKS.  I do know the starting hole was the 17th hole at Muirfield, which begs the question, why only one hole from Muirfield??  I know the 9th at Muirfield was in Pat Ward-Thomas's Best 18, so it is hard not to see it in a best 18 of only Colt holes.  I was also surprised to not see holes from Pine Valley, although maybe the course was discounted from the listing due to greater involvement by Crump.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

james soper

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 02:26:46 PM »
it appears no colt designs in the u.s were included in the dream eighteen.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 12:30:03 AM »
No, it's better than that.  They're going to do one for the architect of the Ryder Cup site.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back