News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Worst piece of land for golf ever..
« on: July 21, 2006, 05:39:49 PM »
Just wondering what is the worst piece of land that a golf course has been built upon?

The Swallow Suffolk Hotel in Bury St. Edmunds has a course with the worst drainage I have ever seen and a pickle factory near the 12th green, if the wind is blowing the wrong way it's not pleasant.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Greg Tallman

Re:Worst piece of land for golf ever..
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 05:47:04 PM »
Mahogany Run in St. Thomas. Actually not a horrible piece of land but certainly a horrible place to try to squeeze 18 holes onto. Could have yielded a rather sporty nine hole layout though.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 05:48:50 PM »
Once upon a time...

there was this 'Auld Watter Meadie'...

Some Eedjit thought it might make a decent gowf course  ;)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 05:50:40 PM »
I don't know about worst, but look at the overhead and you have to admit Shadow Creek (Las Vegas) sits on land that has to be in the bottom 5%....

Which of course is just part of why that remains one hell of an amazing golf course, testament to what the imagination can do when money is unlimited.

TH

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 05:51:46 PM »
Martin

I know plenty of Scots, been there quite a few times, but what is an 'Auld Watter Meadie' - old water meadow?
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »
This topic has come up several times, but of courses I have played I will continue to nominate Talking Stick North.

Now if we're talking BAD courses on bad land, then my oh my I would not even know where to begin.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 05:55:03 PM »
Some may say Morgan Hill in Easton, PA - basically the side of a mountain.

It's certainly the strangest for me, and I love the course.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 05:58:55 PM »
Martin

I know plenty of Scots, been there quite a few times, but what is an 'Auld Watter Meadie' - old water meadow?

Padraig,
correct in one. No prizes for guessing the name of the quotee! (or indeed for the subject of his criticism!!!) ;)

FBD

John Goodman

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 06:41:20 PM »
Would that be Andrew Kirkaldy, on the home course of the Honorable Company of Edinburgh Golfers?

I sort of feel that way about the place too . . .

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 07:15:57 PM »
Lido...or it would still be there..Unless it really wasn't all that to begin with.

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 07:17:43 PM »
TPC Jacksonville
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 07:22:35 PM »
Would that be Andrew Kirkaldy, on the home course of the Honorable Company of Edinburgh Golfers?

I sort of feel that way about the place too . . .

John
'twer Andra indeed.

I must say I spent much of my adult golfing life believing him too. Ingrained cynicism is difficult to dilute.

Until I got to play the place.

It is wonderful - in EVERY way...play it before you expire.

FBD.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 08:27:33 PM »
Got an 'executive' course in Cincinnati that is next to a bio-hazardous waste site. Nicest 'exec' I've seen too, built on incredibly small property to have such a sweet layout.

Doug

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 09:24:04 PM »
 Somebody correct me if my memory is off, but when I played Furnace Creek in Death Valley one spring after heavy rains had left the desert incredibly beautiful I thought the course itself was an absolute dump, on the dullest piece of land possible.

noonan

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 09:27:17 PM »
Madden GC in Dayton.

It is built next to a waste sanitation processing plant.

It is a turd.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 10:33:52 PM »
Chicago has a couple of Killian and Nugent courses built on a former waste dump
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 11:56:04 PM »
Chicago has a couple of Killian and Nugent courses built on a former waste dump

I think Santa Clara Muni and Shoreline on the west coast of San Francisco Bay are reclaimed refuse areas.  For a while I think they had spontaneous methane fires burning on Shoreline from time to time.  Scary!

If you're going to play baylands golf, Palo Alto Municipal is the one.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 01:53:15 AM »
Bartley Cavanaugh Golf Course: Designed by P.B. (or Perry?)Dye on a flat, 90-acre parcel squeezed between the Sacramento River levee and Interstate-5. The fairways are about 20 yards wide and closely bordered by buried elephants which "frame" the holes (i.e. block your view of incoming stray shots). There are some fun holes out there when the course is empty and you aren't in serious danger of losing an eye. -Sacramento, CA.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Marc Haring

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 03:36:12 AM »
Wyke Green in London. They even admit it on their website with the following hilarious understatement.

“With London Underground, the M4 motorway and the Grand Union canal acting as some of the boundaries to the course Wyke Green could never be considered a place of great tranquillity.”

They forgot to mention the planes of Heathrow taking off and landing overhead and the occasional sound of gunshot from nearby Hounslow.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 01:05:01 PM »
During our rounds at Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails (talk about BEST pieces of land!  8), Cary Lichtenstein and I were talking about building golf courses at ski resorts.  I have never seen one I really thought was good as the ski slopes have to be steep, way too steep for golf.

I'm thinking of courses like Northstar at Lake Tahoe and Eagle Vail in Colorado.

Has anyone seen a good golf course designed at a ski resort?

rjsimper

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 01:50:39 PM »
Bill -

Okemo's course in Vermont is pretty decent.  I've never skied the mountain, so I can't make a comparison.  

I hear Sugarloaf is a good course, though it's supposed to be an excellent ski area so it may still be surpassed by the resort's winter offering.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »
Creekside Golf Course, Amherst, NY (10 miles north of Buffalo).

Horrible little course, but here's why it's horrible land:
-------------------------

History and Location of Project
The Creekside Golf Course site, Amherst, New York, is located adjacent to Tonawanda Creek, a waterway maintained as part of the New York State Barge Canal. In the early 1950s, the owner placed used drums along the canal banks as an erosion control measure. Over 30 years, erosion of the creek bank exposed more and more drums. Eventually the drums began rolling into the canal. The State placed concrete riprap along the shore to stabilize the banks.

In 1982, an environmental site assessment got under way and in 1985, 175 drums were removed. The drums contained a mixture of phenolic polymers and phenol. Further investigation led to a Consent Order between New York State and the site’s PRP for the complete remediation of the site. Sevenson was contracted by the PRP to carry out the site remediation.

Description of Work
The contract required Sevenson to excavate 650 drums as well as affected creek sediments and soils. Following mobilization and site preparation, a 1,000 lf U-shaped steel sheetpile cofferdam was constructed in the creek to isolate and secure the contaminated zone. Sevenson began the excavation and overpacking of 650 drums and the removal of contaminated soil, creek sediment, and riprap. All material was characterized, stabilized, and disposed of in a secure landfill off site. Stabilization operations were performed in an enclosed Sprung structure. Sevenson constructed and operated an onsite plant for the pretreatment of contaminated water prior to shipping it off site for further treatment at the owner's facility. The site was backfilled and restored. The project was completed in less than 5 months, on schedule and under budget.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 05:09:30 PM »
Honorable Mention goes to Furry Creek
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Alan Carter

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 05:16:28 PM »
Cary, I agree completely!!!!!  Some beautiful views but.......

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 07:02:07 PM »
Cary and Alan, I give Furry Creek an uncontested "Worst" - what do you guys rank below that monstrosity?

Cary, now that you've played Bandon Dunes again, how do you rank among the triumvirate at the resort?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back