News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Seve is playing in the Open!?
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:46:53 PM »
I was going down the leaderboard and found him at +2 after the first round, a bit above Faldo's current position.

I would still pay to watch Seve, even if he is driving it into the crap on every hole and hacking his way out.

Brian_Ewen

Re:Seve is playing in the Open!?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 02:03:10 PM »
Tom
Has not been much Seve on the BBC coverage , but its great to see him not embarrassing himself .

Peter Alliss called it the round of the day .

You get the feeling that Hoylake suits everyone , as long as you stay out of bunkers .

Seve was in one .

Philippe Binette

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 03:00:01 PM »
Tom,

I would pay to see Seve, ESPECIALLY if he is driving it in trouble, hacking it out and knocking it in...  

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »
Since Duval's great round at the US Open, his 2 under today is not too shocking.

I nominate as the biggest shock of the day is that Seve shot the same as Howell, Donald, Appleby, and Langer.

It is fantastic to see that Seve had a good round with his son on the bag.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

kevin

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
This will probably end up being a HO HUM! Open, since Eldrick is for the most part leading this thing.  I just hope Phil can hang in there, that would make for a fun weekend.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:48:06 PM »
Here's to hoping that Seve can post a 65 tomorrow so we can see my dream show down of Tiger vs. Seve!!!

Hey a man can hope  ;)
H.P.S.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 04:11:52 PM »
The R&A still grants exemptions to former Champions until they turn 65. Hence Seve is "In The House".

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
Rob, I think this is the first time he's played in The Open since 2001, thus the surprise.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 04:28:02 PM »
Why the R&A permits past champs to play until 65 defies logic and reason. Before all you sobbing traditionalists roll your eyes and rant and rave towards Ward keep in mind this -- the essence of the championship is to feature players of capable in winning the event.

Seve deserved his exemption when he was a contender -- not the pretender he is now. In addition, his presence takes a vital spot away from someone who could well be "the next Seve ot the next Tiger Woods, etc, etc."

Providing past spots to long since past dinosaurs looking to hang on to fading cheers is really turning a blind eye to reality. Please don't misunderstand my thoughts -- I would apply them to the other "return to glory" denial types who have done similar things. Arnold Palmer had one too many swam songs in my book. For many of these guys they don't know when to exit with grace and to realize that the show isn't about them any longer.

And before someone brings up the Masters my answer is a simple event-- the Masters is a private event run by a private club. The golf associations that run national championships should be thinking of the bigger picture and what the event is about NOW. Frank Hannigan, the former exec dir of the USGA believed what I am saying years ago regarding the opening up of the US Open to such celebrity invitations.

A major championship exemption for winning should be no more than five years. The PGA Tour realized this but not until you got types such as Fulton Allem, among others, winning the World Series of Golf at Firestone and getting a 10-year honeymoon from qualifying.

I am a big time fan of what Seve USED TO BE -- the swashbuckling style and the epic final round 66 at Lytham in '88 is indeed thrilling stuff. Ditto his final round pairing with Watson in the '83 US Open at Oakmont as a precursor to what these two did at The Open at TOC a year later.  The shell you see today is just a human being holding down to past memories and while those memories are significant and will always be a part of the golf record -- the essence of the major championships should not be an extended welfare office so that past champions can continue under the grand delusion that they are still part of the show.

They are not ...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 04:33:24 PM »
Matt:

When they appoint you as executive of the R & A, you can bring up the topic for discussion.  'Til then, glad you are not running the show.

I am sure Seve's decision to play had a bit to do with De Vicenzo having won there in 1967.  The great Roberto was a bit of a role model for Seve.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 04:35:13 PM »
Why the R&A permits past champs to play until 65 defies logic and reason. Before all you sobbing traditionalists roll your eyes and rant and rave towards Ward keep in mind this -- the essence of the championship is to feature players of capable in winning the event.
So how would you do it - give an exemption until a certain age, or a certain number of years as long as you are within the top 200 in world rankings?

I don't think I agree with that.  Winning a major chmapionship should confer a certain special status to you. Maybe 65 is too late but I think that they should get an exemption until at least 50, or maybe 55.  Note that Seve would still be eligible to play under either as he is still 49.

Should David Duval get an exemption?  What about Duval in 2004 or 2005?  He is not that many years removed from winning The Open Championship.

I think that the player should decide whether they want to take the invitation - not all do as Seve hasn't played for several years and Ian Baker-Finch hasn't played for quite a while.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 04:36:15 PM »
I am sure Seve's decision to play had a bit to do with De Vicenzo having won there in 1967.  The great Roberto was a bit of a role model for Seve.
Maybe Seve wanted to have played at all courses on the rota and he has never played an Open at Hoylake.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 04:37:30 PM »
65 was not too late for Nicklaus last year, was it?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 04:39:54 PM »

Hootie thought this too.

Bob

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 04:41:09 PM »
Tom:

The sad part is that sobbing for past great players is such a politically correct move on your part. Tom Doak and politically correct in the same sentence -- say it ain't so!

They have HAD their day. They have also had more than enough free exemptions since they stopped being even REMOTELY competitive.

The Open Championships -- both here and across the pond -- are not some Hollywood Golden Globes awards program where people are feasted years and years after they were in their primes.

They are national championships and the people competing are those who can win -- not simply be a ceremonial golfer as Nicklaus said so well years back.

For too many old timers -- the curtain call should be on the side away from the audience and allow another person to have the opportunity to demonstrate their stuff.

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
They have to draw a line somewhere, and chose a number I happen to like.

Is the tournament materially different because there are 150 guys who "could" win versus 156?

It's like March Madness - someone is always going to be left out, and someone is always going to complain about it.

Interestingly enough, Seve beat a bunch of guys who won on various pro tours this year, and could make the cut with a decent round tomorrow. Here's hoping.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 04:53:22 PM »
Wayne:

65 is well past the possibility that the person can compete in the event. I define compete as being a bit more than just making the cut or placing a tee in the ground.

The PGA Tour realized its error on the ten year exemption because it gave players a lottery ticket for just one solid week of work. Five years has worked well for them and I see no reason why a standard can't apply now.

Keep in mind this -- if memory serves, the R&A required all players to qualify -- including Hogan when he came to Carnoustie in '53 despite having a record of distinction here in the States. If Hogan had to qualify I see no reason why a realistic sunset provision cannot apply to people like Seve as a past champion. How bout those past champs who still remain in the world's top 200?

The old time champs are simply hogging the field with their continued presence. It wasn't like they have not been appropriately taken care of since their wins. But enough of the gravy train routine.

Championship golf is about championship play -- NOW. Not from shots hit over a decade or more ago. It's about being able to justify your status on what you are TODAY not from years and years ago.

Frankly, I don't put the blame on Seve completely -- he's only doing what the R&A allows and what others have also done.

This all thing of memory lane has morphed into a mega tear wiping away event. Guys -- these players were great and have been honored a great many times over -- it's time the real parade continue with them watching instead of being in it.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 04:57:41 PM »
Seve said he was only playing to allow his son to caddy for him and gain experience of links golf .

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 04:58:22 PM »
Matt:

Here's what I don't get about your argument:  who does it harm to have a few like Seve in the event?  As George says, what does it matter that 150 have a chance instead of 156?

I'm not crying my eyes out that Joe Marginal Tour Player doesn't get that 151st spot so Seve can play.  I'd rather see Seve.  I feel confident if you asked 1000 golf fans, 990 would agree with me.  The other two are you, te player who got aced out, and 8 other curmudgeons.

;D

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 05:00:37 PM »
Dont tell me he took Brad Faxons place ? .  :'(

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 05:03:25 PM »
I like Brad. I also like Corey Pavin.  There are plenty of other American tour pros, and others, I could likely think of that in my perfect Open would all get spots.

But if a few like that don't get in so Seve can this year... or Nicklaus last year... or Watson for as long as he wants... well I can live with that.  I for one find it kinda cool to see them on the big stage.  I can see Faxon at any given tour stop.

TH

Matt_Ward

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 05:07:59 PM »
Huck:

Really simple -- championship golf is not some sort of celebratory event. Championship golf is about those capable in playing championship golf today.

To carry your argument further -- let's have a welfare set aside for 40-50 guys who can't play a lick but keep them around because of what they once did. Please -- enough of the give aways to memories. Where does the line get drawn?

I don't see any reason why a past champion cannot gain an automatic exemption provided he is in the top 200 in the world after his five automatic (my condition) has run its course.

Every spot should be set aside for those possess the requisite skill -- not be some sort of send-off event for nostaglia.

Keep in mind this -- I'm not suggesting that past champs not be rewarded for past wins in a major. I didn't say that. What I am saying is that extending the wherewithal to come directly into the event up to age 65 is way, way overboard.

One other thing -- at one time Seve was a qualifier too. A number of these past champs should remember what it was like when they were just getting started. You see Huck how do we know that the Joe Marginal Player you deride isn't the next Seve, the next Jack, etc, etc. Today's globalization of golf is indeed very competitive and every spot directly into a major should be earned with respect to what the game is today.

Huck -- I can remember the embarrassment in watching Sinantra at the end try to sing songs in which he could not remember the words. Some of these guys are in deep denial. It's time to say enough is enough.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 05:11:48 PM »
It seems like the past Open winners use pretty good judgment in deciding whether to play.  Weiskopf played recently but he usually doesn't; Miller doesn't play; Seve and Baker-Finch haven't been playing; old-timers like Thomson and de Vicenzo and Charles didn't play until they were 65.  It ain't broke so there's no need to fix it.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 05:12:47 PM by Tim Pitner »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 05:12:03 PM »
Matt:

Fair enough.  Nothing you say there persuades me at all though - I'd still rather see Seve, and I don't care if he shoots 95 tomorrow.  

Remember we're talking just a small number of players.  Of course if it were expanded to 1/4 of the field, as you suggest, that's too much.  But what's the harm of a half-dozen or so out of a field of 156?  I see none.

But I know that you do.  We shall agree to disagree.

BTW, as I look at the field, the ONLY questionable entry is indeed Seve. Maybe Faldo.  

TH

CHrisB

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 05:14:51 PM »
Matt,

Under the exemption criteria you would choose, would Jack Nicklaus have been exempt for the 1986 Masters?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back