News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Wayne's Golf Addiction - Vista Verde
« on: July 19, 2006, 07:39:58 AM »
Our own Wayne has this addiction but I'm not clear on what reviews he does himself...I was sent this nice little ditty today from the sister of a well known golf writer..

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=waynes_golf_addiction&id=4180201

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Wayne's Golf Addiction - Vista Verde
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:45:46 AM »
The review is of Vista Verde in AZ but the headline says CA and the link goes to a OH course.

I played Vista Verde in AZ during my April visit. The course plays fast and firm with very firm(almost concrete) greens.There was no spring rain this year in AZ. I will return there to get a more in depth look at this course as I was thoroughly distracted by my playing partner who was moaning and groaning about the course. The views are magnificent and the housing development hasn't started. This would be a great course for the rota in the next KP event, if AZ is the location as I hope it will be.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:18:41 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:03:44 AM »
The link to Vista Verde in the article is to a course in Ohio not built by KK...I had the same problem when I did a search for the course when it was first being built...God..that looks like a dog track..but the fees are reasonable.

Another note:  Whenever I do a Google search on my Blackberry for Golfclubatlas one of Wayne's articles always comes up second...anyone else reading the site on their BB..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:21:25 AM »
JK - Wayne Freedman is a TV reporter for ABC affiliate in San Francisco. He's also a golf Nut with an intentional capital N.  He's a very fun read, very witty guy.  His course reviews are aimed way more at the general public than the cognoscenti of this group - which to me makes them very fun and very worthwhile!

Here's the general site URL:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/index?section=waynes_golf_addiction&id=3269041

Don't look too hard into the past course reviews or you might find another familiar name.

;)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:42:44 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Benham

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:40:42 AM »
JK - Wayne Freeman is a TV reporter for ABC affiliate in San Francisco.

You could at least spell his last name correctly ...

And this may seem funny, but we used to go to the same hair stylist ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 10:47:43 AM »
Mike - what's a little missing "d" among friends?  And I fixed it - so bite me.   ;D

The fact you admit going to a hair "stylist" is mildly disconcerting as well.

TH

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 01:39:32 PM »
Here is Ken Kavanaugh on Vista Verde:

www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=47180

"The goal was to make this something different — both in the look and in strategy — from the two courses at Tonto Verde,’’ said Kavanaugh of the Gary Panks designed Peaks and Ranch courses at Tonto Verde. "And with the help of superintendant Tyler Koser, who has grown this in with such perfection, I think we’ve accomplished that.’’

Vista Verde is actually quite different from any Arizona course, with a multitude of sweeping fairways that appear as wide as football fields. Even though Kavanaugh has adhered to the 90-acre turf limit in Arizona, he has built a big feel into the 7,200-yard layout (from the tips) through ubiquitous cross bunkers and desert washes.

"What’s happened in golf is that the equipment/technology revolution has made the ball go farther,’’ Kavanaugh said. "That’s great for the people who play golf for a living, but for the average player, it means that the ball is going farther off line.

"By having a wider landing area, I’ve given them some leeway. And I think the course is set up elegantly, so you have to discover the options — the paths — from tee to green.’’

There are other things that will separate Vista Verde from its rivals, like large greens that range from 4,000 to 9,000 square feet. Some are "wildly contoured,’’ as Kavanaugh called the numerous false fronts and multiple tiers.

Vista Verde also has no rough to speak of. Translated: The bump-and-run is back in the game.

"I borrowed that from Talking Stick North, which is my favorite course in the Valley,’’ Kavanaugh said. "So our golf course hugs the ground — without mounds — or actually goes down in it.’’

The result is breathtaking views on more than half of the 18 holes.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 02:03:38 PM »
What do you think of when you read a comment like the following which is in the linked article:

Max Behr, a contemporary, close friend and confidante of the esteemed Alister MacKenzie believed that the use of contours was one of the least used and most misunderstood architectural design elements. I think Behr would be proud of the architect's work on Vista Verde.

Kavanaugh's use of contours as a predominant design element is magnificent. The long par four 5th hole is a testimony to his confidence and comfort as a architect. He has created an enchanting hole whose only defense is the subtle use of contours and angles. There is not a bunker to be found on this treasure.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back