News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Fiercest Individual Bunkers in American Golf
« on: July 16, 2006, 11:26:24 AM »
This is where I thought the other thread was going.

Usually when I think of fierce bunkers, the ones that come to mind are overseas -- the 4th at Sandwich, the 6th at St. Enodoc, the Road bunker, etc.  But there are quite a few in the USA now, too.

My starting five:

The D.A. at Pine Valley
The pot bunkers around the 4th and 9th greens at Myopia
The left bunker on the 4th at Sand Hills
The bunker behind the 3rd green at Fishers Island
The right greenside bunker on the 8th at Yale

And a couple of my own:

The "Abandoned Well" behind the 7th green at High Pointe
The left greenside bunker on the 6th at Pacific Dunes

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Fiercest Individual Bunkers in American Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 11:32:53 AM »
Tom, me, too.

Some others, mostly compliments of Pete Dye, as I would include many of Whistling Straits, and the numerous pot bunkers he has created with barely enough room to swing.  Add in the infamous Tip O'Neil bunker on 16 at PGA West.

Hurdzan has the deep fw bunker at Devils Pulpit (or paintbrush, now I forget which)

I can nominate some of my own from the Quarry in Minnesota, where we left sand mining scars,  some of which are 30 feet deep.

Some of the Strantz bunkers at Tobacco Road qualify.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 11:32:56 AM »
The inside dogleg on 8 at Stone Eagle.  Unfortunately, in my one round I hit a poor tee shot so I really don't know how much this is or is not in play from the tips - I'm told it's not a difficult carry, but if it is any more than 260 to carry, it guards well against an aggressive line with a mishit, and forget about it once inside.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 11:59:34 AM »
The 8th at Stone Eagle is great. It's hard to believe that was a ravine at one time. More proof that many here don't really understand what minimilism actually means.

A duffed tee shot on the 9th at Friar's Head. I feel that bunker is more akin to a wave of sand--one huge wave getting to it's peak and ready to start tubing like the giants off the North Shore of Hawaii.

I've taken on the 6th at Pac Dunes, and it's a thrill. I've both defeated it and lost to it.

There is something about a bunker and it's ferocity. It has to be perfectly placed to really define itself--similar to the 9th at Rustic Canyon--this huge blow-out. It doesn't really come into play you see and it is just this great huge bunker that never gets much love.  I used to think that until one rainy day, with my hand slipping-off of my club, kerplunk into that sea of sand.

The Beast Bunker at Rustic could also apply. It's actually smaller then the DA, but it is without doubt inspired the West coast version.

I usually moan in pain, screaming the words, New Jersey everytime I hit my second shot at Rustic Canyon's 13th. I've probably been in that bunker more then anyone. It's like a huge golf ball magnet is in there just for me.

Then there is one of the most perfectly placed bunkers in golf--the 10th at Lehigh. What a green too!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 12:03:10 PM »
Wow, I must be on a roll when I can forget about the fairway bunker on the 8th at Stone Eagle that quickly!  Ryan:  It's only about a 240-yard carry off the back, but the consequences of missing are pretty severe.

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 12:09:39 PM »
Wow, I must be on a roll when I can forget about the fairway bunker on the 8th at Stone Eagle that quickly!  Ryan:  It's only about a 240-yard carry off the back, but the consequences of missing are pretty severe.

240 - wow.

Our genius forecaddie (Tommy and both Davids can attest to his qualifications and past experiences with him...) that I should not attempt to clear it.  Didn't realize I'd have a fighting chance of doing so with a 5 wood.

A hell of a bunker at 240 or at 280 (and no pun is intended)

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 01:13:22 PM »
I am familiar with the caddie in question.  A good solid drive by a strong player clears the canyon bunker.

How about the left front bunker on #9 at Pebble Beach?  Deep, with a small green and a large ocean beyond.

The front right bunker on #7 Winged Foot - West was really deep.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 01:19:21 PM »
...Hurdzan has the deep fw bunker at Devils Pulpit (or paintbrush, now I forget which)...

It's Paintbrush. It's the par 5 17th now I think. It used to be the 8th. Hurdzan claims it may be the largest sod wall bunker in the world. I think the wall gets to about 15 feet high.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 01:29:30 PM »
The Church Pews?

Anyone?

Ok, so they wern't so fierce a couple of years ago but they are now deeper, longer, and full of thick Fescue. The chances of getting a bad lie (behind a pew or stuck in the fesuce) has to be about 75/25.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 01:48:53 PM »
I'm hoping to make the fiercest in Texas.
That is my 17 year old brother in the middle of a very rough shape.

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 02:14:35 PM »
Mike,
 I can hardly wait to be in it!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 02:39:34 PM »
Mike:

Hard to tell much about the hole from the picture, but if the green is straight ahead and the landform on the left is a "cape" in the bunker, I would make it a lot lower so you can get in or out there.  As-is, it's a very bulky landform ... which is okay, as long as you've got a lot more of those around the course, but otherwise it looks kind of weird.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 03:07:23 PM »
left of #2 green at Yale.

Don't know which hole it is, but left of (17?) green on the Dye Course at the TPC in La Quinta, CA.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »
Tommy N.
I can't wait to see you in it also...

Tom D.
The bunker does not directly face the tee or line of play.  Your recent post about natural bunkers looking more natural when not pointing towards every tee, helped me sure up my decision to do so.
The bunker will look biggest when standing on the edge of the fairway in the landing area (as in the photo) or when inside.
The direct line of play for the hole is across the edge of the bunker.
The bunker makes up a large transistional area - there will be no other bunkers like this one.
The best part of the hole is the green and approach - which can be better navigated by playing from near the bunker.  :)
I plan on doing more work to the shape, which was built by Don and Clayton one Sunday afternoon when they needed a little fun.

We have named it infierno.

The owner has two dogs, Diablo and Demonio - I wonder where they will be hanging out...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 04:19:22 PM »
The original bunkers at Medinah No. 3, 7th hole were the first fearsome bunkers I came across. I don't know if they are the same now, but we shall see in a few weeks.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 04:31:22 PM »
Any pictures available of the bunkers you guys have nominated?

Tim Bert

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 04:56:53 PM »
The front right at PacDunes #18 is the bunker that I have probably played away form more so than any other.

Tom, since you started the thread, I'm interest in your thoughts on it.  

When we visited Bandon, a couple of us dropped balls in the bunker at #6 just for kicks.  We both got out, though I'm not sure either of us landed it on the green (I know I rolled off the back slope.)  The one at #18 looks like there are some spots where you couldn't even make a swing at it.  The overhanging jaws are brutal.  I might just quit my round if I ended up in there since I was on the last hole anyway.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 04:57:10 PM by Tim Bert »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 04:59:12 PM »
Some bunkers are fierce because their design makes extrication difficult, while other bunkers are fierce because of the terror that lay outside of them.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 05:10:07 PM »
Probably the toughest I know is the bunker to the right of #9 green Maidstone. It's enormous and very easy to get in with your approach shot and it's so high it's just hard to get a bunker shot up that high from its sand floor.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 06:46:16 PM »
Right side 17th at Sand Hills!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 07:43:21 PM »
It's been many years but I recall the 17th at Kebo Valley in Maine has a bunker in front of the green, which sits far below the green - 20 feet?  President Taft had a 27 back in 1911.  A wonderful old course if you're ever in the neighborhood, not to mention the idyllic setting of Acadia National Park.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 07:51:31 PM »
Most of us have probably not seen enough golf courses to properly answer this question, but for fun........

I also nominate the 4th at SH, that looks like a mountain you have to hit over to get out of it.....

the greenside complex on the 13th at Pacific is also very demoralizing

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike Benham

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 07:54:42 PM »
The inside dogleg on 8 at Stone Eagle.  Unfortunately, in my one round I hit a poor tee shot so I really don't know how much this is or is not in play from the tips -

How about the greenside bunker on 18 ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2006, 08:03:42 PM »
Whistling Straits 6th Hole....Gremlin's Ear, I'm in the canal!

Note: I'm 6' 6"!!! It's a deep bunker.  

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 08:05:23 PM by Jonathan McCord »
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Tim Bert

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 12:41:36 AM »
Adam,

Are you talking about the small bunker adjacent to the green, the bigger pit just to the right of that, or the combination of the two on #17?

I'd say the combination of those 2, along with the ones on the left side, make for a fierce combination (I played pinball enough there!) but I don't recall any of them individually being a bunker that I'd call the fiercest in America or at SH for that matter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back