News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Saucon Valley CC - Weyhill (Pictures)
« on: July 14, 2006, 10:43:13 PM »
Here are some pictures of the Weyhill course at Saucon Valley CC. It has a great history as having originally the corporate boondoggle for the Bethlehem Steel top brass- designed in 1967 by the Gordon Brothers.

It is located about a mile down the road from the main Saucon Valley CC complex which houses the more well known Old and Grace courses. When Bethlehem went bust, Saucon Valley CC acquired Weyhill.

The surroundings at Weyhill are gorgeous and pristine - one really feels in a state of splendid isolation. About half the holes are really superb and about half are relatively ordinary, but overall it is a very good golf course.

The 2nd hole is an excellent par 3 of about 180 yards - accuracy is key.

3rd shot into the long par 5 6th hole with its stream that snakes throughout the hole finally fronting the green.

Tee shot on #7 (or is it #8?). A wonderful dogleg right par 4.

The second shot.

The 10th is a strong par 4 with a Vernal Pool off to the right. This is the second shot.

#12 is a very interesting par 5 of 570 yards. After the drive the golfer must decide whether to lay up short of the valley or try to carry it.

If the golfer lays up he will be hitting from where the picture is taken. If he fails to carry the valley, the ball ends up in a cut of rough that is about half as penal as the main rough. As you can see there is almost a "fairway" of rough cut in that valley. Very unique.

Looking back down the 12th.

The 13th is a charming short par 4 dogleg right of 390 yards downhill. While I was unable to capture it on film, it has a truly ferocious green.

This is #14. An absolutely unforgettable par 3 of 176 yards over a quarry. The drop is a good 75-100 feet down the quarry.

The tee shot on #15 is downhill. 419 yards.

The uphill apporach shot on #15. What a cool shot! If you are short, you are dead.

The drop shot par 3 #16. 143 yards over the stream.

#17 is a short par 4 at 363 yards frought with brunkers. Notice the stream running down the left side.

The Inviting Weyhill clubhouse.

Matt_Cohn

Re:Saucon Valley CC - Weyhill (Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 11:48:28 PM »
Seems to get better and better as you go along, which is nice. Looks like fun!

Evan_Green

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »
Seems to get better and better as you go along, which is nice. Looks like fun!

Yes Matt - The course really does build as you go along - the back nine has some really neat holes.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »
The course looks really amazing. And this is the least known of the three?? Scary.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 07:49:19 PM »
Evan, what a lovely, warm, inviting place to play golf! What does a membership at Saucon run these days?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Evan_Green

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 07:50:23 PM »
The course looks really amazing. And this is the least known of the three?? Scary.

Bill -

I havent played the other two courses- just caught a glimpse of them from the main clubhouse, but several people I have talked to say that Weyhill is their favorite of the three even though it is the least well known.

Would be curious as to the opinions on this board of those that have played two or all three of the Saucon Valley CC courses as to how they compare to one another.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 07:50:46 PM by Evan_Green »

Evan_Green

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 07:53:58 PM »
Evan, what a lovely, warm, inviting place to play golf! What does a membership at Saucon run these days?

Craig

That is a great way to describe the Weyhill course - that was my feeling being there.

I'm not sure what the memberships run for, but having three quality courses at one's disposal (plus a 6 hole practice course) would make it quite a nice place to join.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 07:55:58 PM by Evan_Green »

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 09:00:54 PM »
Evan,

I played the Old and Weyhill this summer, and thought the Old was even better.  The back 9 of Weyhill has some spectacular holes, but the Old is solid throughout.

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 09:26:54 PM »
I will have to say after visiting the Philly and surrounding area this spring the people there are very fortunate to have such great golf courses.

Lawrence

Troy Alderson

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 11:17:39 PM »
Evan,

Well conditioned course for annual bluegrass.  I like the huge bunkers, though they need a little roughing up of the sand.  The green complexes appear tough enough to not warrant the narrow fairways.  Widen the fairways and bring in some strategy into hitting the greens.  Maybe the superintendent cannot widen the fairways for economic and agronomic reasons.  Great setting with the rainy day, perfect weather for golf.  Fantastic clubhouse.  Thank you for the pictures.

Troy

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 12:40:02 AM »
I hate semi rough, bunkers or water between the fairway and green. Now and again it is okay but not on almost every hole!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back