News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Anything new around Orlando?
« on: July 13, 2006, 06:54:38 AM »
Has anyone been to Orlando lately?

Anything new here worth seeing??

:)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Anything new around Orlando?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 07:28:10 AM »
I visited Orlando in February and played the late David Harman's Red Tail in Sorrento. It's on rolling farmland and offers some elevation, unusual for Florida. It's private but access isn't a problem.

www.redtailclub.com

I also played Ron Garl's Victoria Hills in DeLand. Ron Whitten wrote a nice review on target:

www.golfdigest.com/courses/critic/index.ssf?/courses/critic/victoriahills.html

I didn't play Mike Dasher's Eagle Dunes but I understand it is a favorite of Chris DiMarco:

www.eagledunes.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 07:44:32 AM »
Probably not what you were looking for but my wife and son just went on the new Expedition to Everest @ Animal Kingdom and said it was a Doak 7 trailing Rock N Rollercoaster @ MGM.

http://wdwmagic.com/beastly.htm

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 07:49:48 AM »
Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville, about 40 miles west of Orlando, is a well-done Pete Dye design without any buffoonery. Also walked the Coore & Crenshaw routing of Sugarloaf, overlooking a big lake about 20 miles west of town in the Clermont area and very much look forward to that course when completed. Both are real estate layouts and big sites, without much intrusion on the golf holes proper.

John_Cullum

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 10:30:59 AM »
How old is new?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Keith Williams

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 10:44:32 AM »
Mike Dasher's fourth installment in the area, called Providence, is on its way.  I called about it this past spring and they stated they are looking for an end of year/early 2007 opening.  I ended up playing the old reliable, Highland's Reserve - a great track and super conveniant to The Mouse.

Also, Expedition Everest gets a 7 for thrills and an 8 for effects; compared to Rock N Rollercoaster's 9 for thrills and 4 for effects  :)

Keith.

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 10:58:13 AM »
We are heading for Disney for our 11th wedding anniversary (!)

I have been there as recently as last fall (our 10th anniversary) so with two little ones, I will be lucky to get one, maybe two in.

From memory, I have played the following in the area, so I am looking for 'the best of the rest':

Bay Hill
Champions Gate
Cypress Lake
Grand Cypress - all
Lake Nona
Pine Tree
Disney courses - all

I know Isleworth is still 'out there' but have had no luck with a connection there.

So anything else that is the 'best of the rest' I am very keen to find out more of.

Thank you.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 11:43:27 AM »
We are heading for Disney for our 11th wedding anniversary (!)

. . .

So anything else that is the 'best of the rest' I am very keen to find out more of.

Thank you.

Southern Dunes (Smyers) is an enjoyable course albeit with a lot of housing.  It is also more reasonably priced than many in the area.

Alan Carter

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 11:54:46 AM »
Other decent places in the area are

Southern Dunes - Stranz - Very good
Merto West - Decent course close a little north of Universal
Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes - Norman
Orange County National - Two Good courses - Q-School site - Great range
Celebration - It's okay - Trent Jones Jr. if I remember correctly
Diamondback - Condition can be a little below, but not bad at all
Keene's Pointe - Nicklaus - Okay, but nothing spectaular
Falcon's Fire - Nice up-scale Public

But if I had a choice and likely in order
Isleworth
Bay Hill
Lake Nona
Grand Cypress
Victoria Hills
Southern Dunes
Likely make the drive to World Woods in Brooksville and play both courses
Orange County National - Panther Lake Course
Orange County National - Crooked Cat Course
Disney - Eagle Pines
Disney - Osprey
Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 01:13:07 PM »
Mountain Lake and Southern Dunes are near each other south of town and as good or better than any you have played. It falls of hard and fast after Lake Nona and a few others in the city. I say go north or south young man.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 02:09:36 PM »
Southern Dunes was designed by Steve Smyers.  Alaqua Lakes - north of Orlando - is worth adding to the list.

Brad Klein

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 04:26:51 PM »
Forget "new" if it's your anniversary, Paul. Head down to Lake Wales and stay either at Chalet Suzanne on a B&B basis or chuck the budget altogether and stay at Mountain Lake's Colony House on the European Plan. They might even open the course for you at Mountain Lake this summer. Then go next door to Bok Tower & Garden. Much better than anything, new or otherwise, you'll find in Orlando.

Paul Richards

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 09:06:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, but I've already been to Mountain Lake - absolutely wonderful!

Looking for some things closer to Disney that are 'worth' playing ....

John_Cullum

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 09:23:52 PM »
Paul

What time of year will you be visiting?

How far is too far away?

Paul Richards

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 09:43:09 PM »
End of September.  Too far is a good question.....

John_Cullum

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 09:53:37 PM »
September will be before overseeding, and most greens will be long and grainy by then. September is about the worst month for Florida golf. I would suggest Highlands Reserve, but I expect the greens will be rough in September, as its a pretty low budget operation. I would suggest you try for a higher end private club, or just don't worry about it and go play highlands reserve and drink beer and focus on the architecture. It will be very cheap in September. Also, there's a Flynn course in Lakeland, Cleveland Heights. I need to get over there to checkit out for the Flynn researchers. Its a muni, and probably less than stellar, but its something to do.

I hate Orlando, and I avoid it like the plague.

John_Conley

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 10:03:03 PM »
Cleveland Heights was designed by William Flynn?  It is not any good.

Mystic Dunes is your answer for good golf near Disney that you haven't played.  Followed by Highlands Reserve.  Also, if you don't mind the tariff the Watson course at Reunion.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 10:06:59 PM »
Neither Southern Dunes nor Orange County are too far from Disney and both are pretty good and not too expensive in September.

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 11:20:27 PM »
what about that new Watson course at Reunion Paul?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 02:26:03 AM »
Paul, I was just talking with someone about that course. It's Nicklaus and supposedly better then average I'm told.

Sally Livingston

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 09:46:07 AM »
Hi Tommy

We have 2 courses open now at Reunion, a Tom Watson design and a Palmer design. In April, Reunion hosted the LPGA Ginn Open which was a combination of the front nine of both courses, perhaps you guys saw it on TV??

Of course I find these to be the best new courses in the Orlando area, especially the Watson course. By the way, we'll be overseeding in October. It is a stay and play Paul, but if your wife doesn't play golf, we now have the spa open, pools, and plenty of other things for her to do.

The Nicklaus course will be opening this winter. I rode around it for the first time Tuesday morning, and I think we'll have a winner here. One thing that really stood out was how very small the greens are. Is that the direction designs are going now?  

Paul Richards

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 10:07:42 AM »
Sally

I am interested in more info about Reunion.

Can you please email me?

paul@pauinc.com

thanks.
 ;)

Adam_Messix

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 10:43:28 AM »
I've had the chance to visit Cleveland Heights a couple of times and it is a real bargain, the worst part is that the people there have no clue of what they have.  It almost seems as if they are in denial.  Wayne M was kind enough to send a copy of the original routing plan to me and I found all but three of the original holes still there.  The most notable missing holes are the original 7th and 8th that were abandoned and a public park is there now.  

If you are looking for a Flynn at his best, CH is not it.  However, it's a very nice course that is usually in decent condition.  The 9th hole of the current C Nine has a green that is a slightly softer version of #11 at Kittansett.  Ron Garl added some holes by a large lake that are supposed to be sympathetic to the original, although I don't think I've ever seen Flynn do greens as crowned as the ones Garl did.  Otherwise the Garl holes are pretty good.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2006, 02:53:33 PM »
Paul

I got rained out out Reunion earlier this year. The courses looked great! A group of guys from our A Team stayed and played in Mrach and gave the courses very good reviews, especially the Watson Course. The understand Nicklaus is still under construction.

The other new course is Southern Hills Plantation in Brookesville. Of course World Woods and Black Diamond are always good choices while in that area. If you have not played Isleworth since the renovation I highly recommend it. However do yourself a favor and avoid the "Tiger" Tees. It will much more enjoyable.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2006, 02:57:19 PM »
What about the course on I-drive with the ugly views that Smyers (?) recently re-did?  Brad K. reviewed it in GW and gave it a 6, IIRC.  Wouldn't a '6' around O-town be in the top 5 of the metro area?  I could be wrong about the rating, but it was favorable.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 02:58:38 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back