News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Bandon Dunes--Random Thoughts
« on: June 19, 2006, 04:14:23 PM »
I just made my fourth trip to the land of the tufted puffin.  I don't have any great, new insights, but I wanted to share a few observations that relate to subjects raised in various past threads.  

First, even if I get no further information from this website (not likely), I owe it and its posters a great deal because of Sheep Ranch.  What a place.  I loved it--absolutely fantastic.  We had a blast out there.  We played the Bally Bandon routing (I know, purists will scoff), but we wanted some structure, especially as the Heinekens were kicking in.  It looks totally primeval out there.  And, there are some great golf holes.  In fact, there could be hundreds.  Even if you're skeptical about the place, go play it--it will exceed your expectations.  

I hadn't played Bandon Trails before this trip.  We played it twice, both times in the afternoon, but the winds were different.  I was impressed.  I wouldn't have guessed that the land on which Trails was built had so much up and down movement.  The final three holes playing into the wind are brutes, especially 16 and 18.  Trails has some great holes--right now, I would nominate 4, 14, 15 and 17 as some of my favorites.  It's kind of easy to pick on 11, the water hole, as being one of the weakest, but I think that's accurate.  No. 1 didn't do a whole lot for me either.  On the whole, though, a very good course and a great complement to the oceanside courses.  

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom Jefferson, albeit briefly.  Thanks Tom for making a point of introducing yourself.  You are a lucky man.  

Regarding a point Tom Huckaby (perhaps among others) has discussed, I noticed that the clientele at Bandon had changed quite dramatically from just two years ago.  There were more non-golfers, less people playing 36 holes a day, and more people playing social golf.  While I think all sorts of people could and should enjoy Bandon Dunes, I wouldn't say this change is a good thing.  

Regarding Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes, the new #1 on BD looks pretty benign.  I'll reserve final judgment until I play it (it looked to be pretty much done, but not in play yet), but I don't see how it won't be a bit of a step down from the current green, with its uphill approach.  I'm scratching my head more than I used to at BD #17.  I suppose there's a shot to the left but it's such a crapshoot with the pot bunkers and the prevailing wind from left to right.  I see it more as a lay-up hole and that can mean two long iron shots.  Nothing verboten about that, I guess, but not my favorite.  

Pacific Dunes is a marvel.  It really does feel like you're entering a fantasy land as you tee off at Pacific, and I love every bit of the place.  I remember a discussion about #18 and someone (John Kavanaugh?) suggesting that hitting it in the sandy waste left of the fairway wasn't very penal.  I thought about that comment as I tried to figure out how I was going to reach the green in 3 after driving it in there and looking at a shot from fine, wet sand directly into a 3 club wind.  It's not where you want to be.  

Sorry about the rambling.  I need to take a bit of a break from Bandon and see some other courses, but it's one heckuva place.  When there, there isn't any other place I'd rather be.  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 11:03:41 AM by Tim Pitner »

Tom Huckaby

Re:Bandon Dunes Trip IV
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 04:26:17 PM »
Tim - great stuff, thanks for the report.

I was actually hoping you'd come back and say I was all wet on the "clientele" issue... but at those prices and given the massive increase in publicity, well... the days of it being a haven for golf and golf alone, filled with die-hard "36 holes isn't enough" golfers, would seem to be long gone.  Of course it does't ruin things, but as you say, for guys like us it's not a change for the better.

TH

Peter Pratt

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 04:31:02 PM »
I'm headed to Bandon this Sunday--36 holes a day, here we come. How does one get on the Sheep Ranch, or is this one of those "if you have to ask, you can't play it" questions?

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »
Tim - great stuff, thanks for the report.

I was actually hoping you'd come back and say I was all wet on the "clientele" issue... but at those prices and given the massive increase in publicity, well... the days of it being a haven for golf and golf alone, filled with die-hard "36 holes isn't enough" golfers, would seem to be long gone.  Of course it does't ruin things, but as you say, for guys like us it's not a change for the better.

TH

although Huck, if a lot of those pretty boys only play 18, maybe that leaves the courses more wide open for the 2nd and 3rd rounds for us diehards
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 10:12:14 AM »
Paul - I didn't find that was the case either, unfortunately.  The cigar-smoking, caddie-berating nancy boys also seemed to love afternoon tee times.  You know they can't be bothered to get up early....

;)

Tim Pitner

Re:Bandon Dunes--Random Thoughts
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 11:05:56 AM »
Tom H,

I think that's exactly right.  You won't have any trouble getting an early tee time.  It's the afternoon times that are in demand, which can make for some slower than optimal rounds, especially on the harder to walk Trails course.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 11:10:27 AM »
Tom H,

I think that's exactly right.  You won't have any trouble getting an early tee time.  It's the afternoon times that are in demand, which can make for some slower than optimal rounds, especially on the harder to walk Trails course.

Yep - that's EXACTLY what I faced last June, and why I originally got this "the feel there is changing" take.  Afternoon rounds were very, very slow.

The good news though is that very late in the day, the courses then did empty... if you wanted to go out again as the sun went down, all three courses were all yours....

TH

rjsimper

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 11:22:43 AM »
Anyone want to go in January?  I think my next trip might be a winter dice-roller to avoid precisely the problems noted here.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 11:25:47 AM »
Ryan - man I have given that a lot of thought and if I go back, it likely will be in winter.  Not so much for the reasons described here, but more because that's my life reality.   ;)

My main fear there is not the weather... but the lack of light in the day.  Others have said one can get 36 in but I remain dubious, given early morning c-c-c-c-cold....

Still, the price is right and the crowds are down and the reports back from those who have gone in winter and about 4/1 positive.

TH

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 11:26:04 AM »

Tom,

Our group has been there on each of the last two Masters weekends.

As for the type of clientele, I certainly saw examples of your description but I suspect it gets worse in the summer months when there are more "social" golfers.

I absolutely love the place and want to go back each year. As for your thoughts on "Trails" I disagree with you on #14 which I found to be a bit "goofy" with the "bicycle seat" green. As you recall, the front of the green is very narrow (15 feet or so?) and on one side is a deep bunker and the other side falls off about 5 feet. Found myself having to hit the perfect bunker shot or it rolled off and down the other side from which I took my trusty putter back up the hill and luckily just avoided going over and back into the bunker.

My favourites on "Trails" were #1, #2 and #17.

As for Bandon Dunes, I had the same impression as you regarding the new #1 green but understand why they are moving it.

My absolute favourite at Bandon Dunes is #5. Great view from the tee, gotta keep your drive left or right and then take your approach to the green with dunes on both sides. Love that walk up to the green.

I just got a copy of Golf Dreams: The making of Bandon Dunes and cannot wait to get into it.

Regards,

Bob Jenkins

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 11:35:07 AM »
Others have said one can get 36 in but I remain dubious, given early morning c-c-c-c-cold....

what happened to the "I'm not a weenie, I've played  in cold weather in Scotland" Huckaby I knew and loved?

rjsimper

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 11:38:01 AM »
Ryan - man I have given that a lot of thought and if I go back, it likely will be in winter.  Not so much for the reasons described here, but more because that's my life reality.   ;)

My main fear there is not the weather... but the lack of light in the day.  Others have said one can get 36 in but I remain dubious, given early morning c-c-c-c-cold....

Still, the price is right and the crowds are down and the reports back from those who have gone in winter and about 4/1 positive.

TH

Gotta be honest - I'm pretty afraid of the weather :)

But yes, the daylight issue also concerned me as I've heard it takes a bit of effort to complete 36...

Regarding clientele, I must have just missed Bob Jenkins this past year (I was there the week after the Masters) and the clientele I thought was good - only saw a few cell phones, but mostly average Joe golfer guys, none with corporate polo shirts.

To throw out some course thoughts, I was a big fan of 4 at Bandon, both for the "reveal" of the ocean as well as that second shot, which to a back left pin is terrifying.  Also liked 16, which I hear some do not enjoy, but its visually striking and confusing off the tee - I only wish the lower fairway was extended to make it a viable option.  

Pacific - 4 from the lower black tee is something special, 7 is a beast of a hole and one that I never really figured out, and 17 is just a big big par 3.

Trails - Only got to play it 1.5 times (thunder/lightning/sideways rain) but from what I saw, I liked 1, 4, 17.  Did not have as much of a problem with 11 as it seems most do - so there's a lake there...yes it's out of place but the hole itself I think holds up well.  Plus, I like the secluded corner of the world feeling you get on the green here.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 11:38:18 AM »
Paul - he's still here.  I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, my fear is more they wouldn't let me out on the course.  Or don't you have such things as frost delays?

And Ryan - I guess the nancyboys only come out in summer time - which of course is also no surprise - best chance at good weather, you know.

TH
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 11:40:14 AM by Tom Huckaby »

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 11:43:11 AM »
Paul - he's still here.  I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, my fear is more they wouldn't let me out on the course.  Or don't you have such things as frost delays?

And Ryan - I guess the nancyboys only come out in summer time - which of course is also no surprise - best chance at good weather, you know.

TH

frost is a different story friend, you are still my hero!

and 'nancyboys":  I love it!  what's the origin of that one?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 11:48:49 AM »
I confess I first heard "nancyboy" on Seinfeld... Jerry was carrying his man-purse and Kramer and another guy were ripping on him... My son and I have taken to ripping each others' sports teams with this epithet.  To him, the Dodgers are nancyboys as much as the Giants are to me.

;D

Man it kinda sucks that you have this faustian choice at Bandon now... go in summer, lots of light, but most expensive, worst clientele, slowest round... Go in winter, not much light, crapshoot on weather....

Can't they just leave all three courses for me on a July weekend, and let me pay winter rates?

;D

Tim Pitner

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 11:54:06 AM »

As for your thoughts on "Trails" I disagree with you on #14 which I found to be a bit "goofy" with the "bicycle seat" green. As you recall, the front of the green is very narrow (15 feet or so?) and on one side is a deep bunker and the other side falls off about 5 feet. Found myself having to hit the perfect bunker shot or it rolled off and down the other side from which I took my trusty putter back up the hill and luckily just avoided going over and back into the bunker.

Bob,

There are places on #14 from where it's hard to finish the hole, but that's the genius of it, to me.  A big hitter in our group knocked his driver to five feet and made eagle.  The first time I played it, I hit a 3 wood 20-30 yards short of the green and made an easy par.  I tried to do the same thing the next time, hit it right, and worked hard for a bogey.  If I had hit it in the right bunker or over the green left, I might have been there all day.  I think it's a very unique and memorable hole.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 06:21:25 PM »
I'll be there in July.  What's the latest on the caddy corps?  What's that young lady's name?  I'll be with my wife, not sure she'd understand!  ::)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 06:25:43 PM »
Bill - the gal's name is Sasha - not sure if she's still there - but she is worth seeking out and your wife will understand.

;D

But July?  Talk about nancyboy prime-time... isn't that when the Golfweek rater gathering takes place?

TH

ps - sorry, had to say it.  I have so much fun with these gents.   ;D

Tim Pitner

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 06:30:53 PM »
We only took caddies for one round.  Interesting you should ask about Sasha.  I requested her, was informed she was available, and then I got another caddie.  Apparently, so many people request Sasha that she isn't assigned to them unless she knows you already.  I was given a caddie named Faith who I really liked but was still learning the course some.  My friend had a caddie (Dave) who said he also caddied at Sawgrass; he seemed like an exceptional caddie.  By the way, Faith is a good friend of Sasha's so if you ask for them both . . . .
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:32:59 AM by Tim Pitner »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 06:57:07 PM »
 Hi guys!

Sahsa caddied for one of our guys for 4 days in April. She certainly added to the scenery and was very pleasant and quiet. From what I recall a very competent caddie.

I had a young guy named Kent who was excellent. 2 handicap, great company. Another caddie named "hap" was a laugh a minute and also very good, albeit a bit gruff. Overall, they were a great group. If you get someone you like, you can ask for them the next day and from what I gather, the caddie master tries to accommodate unless that caddie is committed previously to someone else.

Bob Jenkins

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 07:03:08 PM »
Sasha AND Faith?  Don't get me started!

Huck, this will be "squaw golf" (with wives), so Cary L and I will fit right in with the nancy boys.  This will be one round a day, with caddies, martinis on the back deck afterward.

This a problem?  :o

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 07:22:46 PM »

I think I have a digital photo of her and some of the other caddies if someone can tell me how to get a photo on here, I will be pleased to do so.

No info on Faith, however.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 08:05:21 PM »
Tim:

I believe #1 on Trails is one of the best holes on the course. You sit high above the hole and can gaze in a 360 degree panorama. The sweeping fairway and the testing approach makes for a fine hole.

You mentioned the downside of #11 -- frankly the middle part of the course is really a yawn until you reach the approach at #13 -- the bunker on the right side of the green is truly neat.

I've post previously that both the par-3 5th and the short par-4 14th are two sensational holes that will always cause people to stand up and notice.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 09:44:45 PM »
Sasha AND Faith?  Don't get me started!

Huck, this will be "squaw golf" (with wives), so Cary L and I will fit right in with the nancy boys.  This will be one round a day, with caddies, martinis on the back deck afterward.

This a problem?  :o

I stand (sit) very much corrected.  Ye shall have a blast for sure, Bill.

;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 09:47:44 PM »
Particularly given the way I've been playing.  :'( :P

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back