News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Will the rain ruin the US Open(s)?
« on: June 07, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »
Nice day here in Northern California, but the weather has made the East Coast not so nice.

With the US Open next week in New York, the rain has to make a big impact on how the course will be set up and played.   I heard that Mike Davis has already cut back the rough from 6 1/2 to 5 inches and maybe more to come.

As for the womens US Open, I talked with someone who played Newport CC last week.   One of only 3 courses left in the US that has no irrigation system, the rain has made the course lush and green.  The womens Open is a month away but the rain in Rhode Island will have a far greater impact than at Winged Foot.

Michael Moore

Re:Will the rain ruin the US Open(s)?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 03:30:24 PM »
How will the Newport Country Club being lush and green ruin the U.S. Women's Open?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 03:42:53 PM »
Weather usually impacts the US Open's to be held in less than ideal situations.  Rain is usually the culprit for the Eastern time zone courses.

The USGA usually mismanages it's reaction to the rain which further impacts the US Open.

Not sure which one is worse ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 03:44:34 PM »
Hey.

A car running across the first green cant even ruin it, so I cant imagine a little rain will...

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 03:52:01 PM »
Did rain ruin the Open at Bethpage?

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »
Nice day here in Northern California, but the weather has made the East Coast not so nice.

With the US Open next week in New York, the rain has to make a big impact on how the course will be set up and played.   I heard that Mike Davis has already cut back the rough from 6 1/2 to 5 inches and maybe more to come.

As for the womens US Open, I talked with someone who played Newport CC last week.   One of only 3 courses left in the US that has no irrigation system, the rain has made the course lush and green.  The womens Open is a month away but the rain in Rhode Island will have a far greater impact than at Winged Foot.

What are the other 2?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 04:05:49 PM »
How will the Newport Country Club being lush and green ruin the U.S. Women's Open?

Fast and dry vs. wet and slow.

Peter_Collins

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 04:20:40 PM »
After a spring of howling winds, the winds in Hutch have died down considerably.  We have also had several nights of rain followed by hot sunny days.  Great for growing the rough, not so great for hard fast greens. Prairie Dunes could be a little on the vulnerable side for the Senior Open.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 05:49:42 PM »
Mike, you observed, "Weather usually impacts the US Open's to be held in less than ideal situations.  Rain is usually the culprit for the Eastern time zone courses... The USGA usually mismanages it's reaction to the rain which further impacts the US Open."

This is not a typical USGA year for course set-up. Mike Davis is WELL AWARE of the effects of rain at Winged foot. He is deeply concerned because the course drains VERY poorly. He has been planning for a number of scenarios for quite some time and I say that for all those who wanted Tom Meeks head on a platter and to see someone else overseeing course setup that it happened. He's gone.

Give Mike the chance to succeed or not BEFORE judging his efforts as a failure.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 05:52:38 PM »
OT-Not trying to be a smart-ass, but there are a lot more than 3 courses in the country without irrigation systems. I've come across a few little 9-holers along the TX coast with no irrigation systems. During a dry spell they take FIRM and fast to a new level, especially when trying to hit 1500 square foot greens.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 05:57:42 PM by Don_Mahaffey »

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 05:54:24 PM »
nope, they all have to play the same course
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 06:13:48 PM »
The 3 major well known courses without irrigation are Fishers Island, Maidstone (which is considering changing) and Newport CC.

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 06:23:17 PM »

But not under the same conditions which is part of the equation.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »

But not under the same conditions which is part of the equation.

but they never truly play the exactly the same course Mike, what with spike marks, posssibly changing winds, etc

rub of the green my friend
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 11:15:01 PM »
This still doesn't look great and if Alberto makes it way up the East Coast, it could be a disaster.

Wednesday: Partly to mostly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms developing in the afternoon. High 78F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 40%.

Thursday: Occasional showers possible. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the low 60s.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 11:22:01 PM »
Check here for weather at Mamaroneck (I porbably spelled that wrong)

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NY/Mamaroneck.html

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 09:03:07 AM »
Will rain ruin the U.S. Open?

No, the USGA will. ;)
took the words out of my mouth

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »
I don't think we need to worry too much as they were hand watering 18 green this afternoon. Two days of wind over the weekend dried out the greens.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 10:48:42 PM »

That's a good question.

Newport plays enormously different when it's lush and green as opposed to dry and brownish-yellowish-green.

Lush and green will dictate a more aerial game.

I think there's another interesting factor.

If the winds don't blow, will golfers opt for higher degree drivers, relying more on carry than run ?

If the course was firm, fast and brown, with wind, would the golfers opt for lower degree drivers, relying more on run than carry ?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:49:02 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Eric Franzen

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 11:36:11 PM »
I don't think we need to worry too much as they were hand watering 18 green this afternoon. Two days of wind over the weekend dried out the greens.

Henrik Stenson and Carl Pettersson actually described the greens as a little bit slower and softer than expected when I spoke to them earlier today.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back