News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glenn Spencer

Royal Montreal-2007
« on: June 07, 2006, 09:45:23 AM »
I am developing a golf trivia game at work and I am looking through the World Atlas of Golf-latest edition and I am checking out Royal Montreal. I know that it has the President's Cup coming and I would like to know what the yardage is-says 6487 in book, can't imagine that is the case. Also it says that the greens are huge, averaging 12,000 square feet. What do people think of this site for the Cup and how will it be for match play. One last thing, I have noticed in the book that the 18th tee shot seems to play RIGHT over the 17th green, is this the book or is this the case. It looks crazy!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:46:09 AM by Glenn Spencer »

Tyler Kearns

Re:Royal Montreal-2007
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »
Glenn,

According to their website, the back tees on the Blue course at Royal Montreal are 6797 yards.

TK

Chris Burgard

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 11:31:09 AM »
Glenn,

According to their website, the back tees on the Blue course at Royal Montreal are 6797 yards.

TK

Which apparently is long enough for Tiger.

"The only other time he missed the cut in his 10 years on tour was at the 1997 Canadian Open at Royal Montreal."

Chris

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 11:35:43 AM »
Thanks guys, any thoughts on 18 tee? Bueller, bueller, bueller. ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:36:01 AM by Glenn Spencer »

Matt Kardash

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »
Glenn, i could be wrong but I think the old montreal course you are talking about is one of the older versions that doesn't exist anymore.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 02:21:59 PM »
Glenn, i could be wrong but I think the old montreal course you are talking about is one of the older versions that doesn't exist anymore.

The Blue?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 03:08:10 PM »
I believe the course is being substantilly renovated currently - Rob Thompson can probably fill us in with the details.  Any info you can add Rob?  Or Yannick?

FYI - Royal Montreal is supposed to be the oldest golf club in North America as it was formed in 1873.  Of course it was originally called the Montreal Golf Club as HRH Queen Vicky didn't get around to giving them the Royal charter until 1884.

But distance is kind of irrelevant for match play as you normally don't even know the stroke score of the players.  All that matters is who wins.

Ryan Crago

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 03:24:37 PM »
glenn,

i've been there a few times for Canadian Opens, though i have not played it.  Though i dont necessarily remember the walk from the 17th green to 18th tee,  I'm 99.9% sure that the 18th tee in no way crosses the 17th green.

the course is very good, certainly one of the top few in Quebec, and as noted by Wayne, the club is steeped in prestige.

rc.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 03:55:54 PM »
Thank you Ryan, you should see the book, it is really funny.

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 04:19:26 PM »
The course shown on any website would not be up-to-date.  Rees Jones started renovation (or should I say, REDESIGN) work on the front nine in the fall of 2004, and the back nine in 2005, including rerouting the 12th and 13th hole.  The course now plays to just over 7000 yards, to a par 70.  Most tees were regraded or changed, with significant length added on a number of holes (three par 4s now are about 500 yards into the prevailing wind).  Every fairway bunkers were changed.  The old fairway bunkers were out-of play, not strategic, and not very attractive.  The ones he put in place are very modern, about 280-300 yards from the back tee.  Every green complex were changed, including green-side bunkers.  The resulting green complex are controversial, let's put it that way.

There is absolutely no issue between the 17th and 18th holes.  One great thing about the entire Royal Montreal courses (all 45 holes) is that the longest walk is perhaps from the 10th green to the 11th tee on the Red Course,  and that's perhaps 100 yards, backwards which makes it noticeable.  All other tees are right next to the previous green.  It flows very, very well.

Honestly, it's not a course designed for exciting or fun golf.  It's a test of mechanical shotmaking, with one long par four after another to tear-drop shaped greens with bunkers front left and front right.  It's a stroke-play course, US Open-style.

Very little remain of the old Blue course.  It's now a Rees Jones course.  

The Red Course remains a Dick Wilson course.

Honestly, being a member there, if I want to have fun, I play the Red Course.  If I want to "test my game" and have the course beat the snot out of me one hole after another, I'll play the Blue.

PS And by the way, it's not "supposed" to be the oldest club in North America.  It is.  ;-)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 04:23:04 PM by Jeremy Glenn. »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 11:39:00 PM »
And by the way, it's not "supposed" to be the oldest club in North America.  It is.  ;-)
I stand corrected - I thought there was an argument that there may have been one formed in Qubec City earlier but I believe that reference was just to golf being played on the Plains of Abraham without a club being formed.  According to Golf in Canada by Jim Barclay a Scottish sailor from Musselburgh played golf on the Plains of Abraham in 1854.  And, also according to Jim Barclay, the first reference to golf in a North American newspaper was a notice inviting Scots to play golf in Montreal in 1826.

At least I was right about the substantial renovations!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back