News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Can one really understand golf? Architecture?
« on: June 06, 2006, 11:02:11 AM »
Or are they too subjective?

I am flat out amazed at the posts on the big Wie thread.

She is 16. She beat A LOT of seasoned veterans. She struggled a bit with the flat stick.

SHE IS 16! Good Lord, give her a chance. How many current tour pros would have putted any better at age 16, playing in the US Open Sectional Qualifier? Heck, I've seen Phil and Vijay miss putts like that - does anyone want to make the case that they aren't great golfers?

There are plenty of pros every week that miss putts like she did. They miss the cut and aren't heard from till they get hot.

So if so many dedicated golf afficionados don't seem to truly understand the game of golf, can they really understand golf course architecture? Golf courses?

Does anyone? Or are we all too colored by our own thoughts to be even remotely objective?

In a weird tie-in, I've never been more convinced of the fallacy of golf course rankings.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JESII

Re:Can one really understand golf? Architecture?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 11:09:18 AM »
George,

With talk like that you may inspire the Kung Fu GCA Gang to take up arms in a real battle against the rest of us. Do you Kung Fu?

By the way, my answer to your first question is YES.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 11:13:35 AM »
George:

Of course one can really understand golf and golf architecture. You just said it---it's very subjective. The truth about golf and golf architecture most certainly does not have to be everyone's truth.   ;)

Here's a good riddle for you George;

If you put two people together shoulder to shoulder in front of a big tree---do they really see the same thing?

Phil Benedict

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 11:16:10 AM »
Is this a back-door way to start another Michele Wie thread?

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 11:25:46 AM »
Is this a back-door way to start another Michele Wie thread?

No, it is an honest question about how subjective the game is, and how subjective golf course architecture is. Feel free to confine the Wie comments to the other thread.

Jim -

Your Jung Fu is strong. Not sure about everyone else's. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:52:40 PM »
Yes architecture is subjective.
Mucci likes Sandpines.
Naccarato hates it.
Nuff said!

Hey, did someone mentions Sandpines? :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:30:28 PM »

Garland,

Who designed Sandpines?  

My Tiger Kung Fu is stronger than the rest of your Dragon Kung Fu.   ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 03:34:31 PM »
Mike,

How long have you been on this site?

Until last week, I thought Sandpines by Ries Jones was the most controversial topic here. Now it is MW.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 05:08:52 PM »
Yes architecture is subjective.
Mucci likes Sandpines.
Naccarato hates it.
Nuff said!

Dont forget that Jordan thinks it sucks.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 05:48:26 PM »
Ryan...Naccarato...

I couldnt agree more.

Sorry Pat.

On another note I dont think I will EVER understand that course.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 08:15:52 PM »
Or are they too subjective?

So if so many dedicated golf afficionados don't seem to truly understand the game of golf, can they really understand golf course architecture? Golf courses?

Does anyone? Or are we all too colored by our own thoughts to be even remotely objective?

They are too subjective.

Many dedicated golf afficionados don't understand the game of golf; therfore they really don't understand golf course architecture or golf courses.

We are all too colored by our own thoughts to be even remotely objective.

I've never been more convinced of the fallacy of golf course rankings.

AGREED
Jim Thompson

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 08:35:48 PM »
George:

Of course one can really understand golf and golf architecture. You just said it---it's very subjective. The truth about golf and golf architecture most certainly does not have to be everyone's truth.   ;)

Even for my own "truth" about gca, I think you can understand it for only fleeting moments, and when that moment passes, you are back in the dark.........hoping for another moment of enlightenment in the distant future......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 08:37:36 PM »
Shouldn't we first ask the question, "What is there to understand?"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 08:40:11 PM »
Was Shakespere writing about gca when he penned "Much ado about nothing?"  (if it was the Bard who wrote that)

And wasn't it Lincoln who said, "When I write a particularly nasty post on Golf Club Atlas, I find the best thing to do with it is stick it in a draft section and never hit post?"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back