News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Lee Puckett

We all delight in GCA one upsmanship.  Jealousy is the second strongest emotion after revenge.  Let's turn the tables.

What is the worst golf course that you have played this year on purpose?

I'll start the bidding at $34 with:   Fairchild Wheeler - Fairfield, CT - My friends made me do it!!!

jwk

Dennis_Harwood

Re:Worst Golf Course that you have played this year on purpose?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 02:07:38 AM »
How do you play a golf course by accident?

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 02:18:31 AM »
Playing a course by accident happens all of the time.

Roped into a charity outing.

"It's just like (Insert name of favorite course)..."

"It was either this or Iran vs. South Korea in the world cup..."

"I'm tired of making love to (Insert name here)..."

"Infomercials on TGC, let's go!!!"

"Pat Mucci highly recommended it."  Pat, just checking to see if you are reading my posts...

JWK

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:25:12 AM »
ShoreGate

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 06:50:00 AM »
Kyle -

Please elaborate,,,

Also, I sent you an e-amil from a guest e-mail address.  I'm in Boston.  Not much WP, Jr. here...

JWK

Chris Moore

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 06:50:41 AM »
It wasn't this year, but I am still reeling from my round at Furry Creek near Vancouver.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »
The worst course I played this year was great fun
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 09:39:34 AM »
You put the price up, are we supposed to consider that? If so, for me it is Longaberger-$89. Outside of that it is Madden Golf Course- the weather was nice here in the winter and no other place was open. I played with about 8 guys here on several occasions. The course is a joke, but the old pro there was not- Pete Brown- should have been the first African-American to play in the Masters.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 11:37:51 AM »
Haystack in VT.....not horrible....but not good.

Mountain golf, several fairways may be mistaken for ski slopes.  It was soaked (we knew that going in), and there was one hole that had a low-lying former bunker that had morphed into a perfect bunker-shaped wetland next to the green.  Excellent.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 11:48:47 AM »
Shadow Hills, home of the Nationwide Tour stop in OR. There was not a single hill on the entire course. If they are that misleading in the name, the rest of the picture ain't pretty. I couln't help thinking that if guys like Jason Gore were getting a steady diet of this, then how the heck can he do what he did at Pinehurst?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Moore

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 03:25:44 PM »
The Legend at Arrowhead Golf Course in the Phoenix area.  A Palmer design threaded through a dense residential community with too many houses too close to play.  Some nice green contouring however.  Highlight of the day was the splash my brother's drive made in a waterhole located in someone's backyard.  

I don't remember which hole but this will give you an idea.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Sun+City,+AZ&ll=33.685193,-112.189765&spn=0.004124,0.010729&t=k&om=1

My brother made me do it even though I suggested Talking Stick or Wigwam.  

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 03:33:55 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »
Frankfort Golf Course in Frankfort, MI.

Yes, that is the same town that has the famed Crystal Downs.  I wanted to play some golf before I headed out to Crystal, so I decided to play Frankfort GC.  WOW, it was really messed up!!  Greens the size of my car, and I'm not sure I saw any bunkers.  I even skipped a couple of holes, because I felt like my game was going downhill.

I realized, later in the day, after playing Crystal Downs, that I had played the best and worst courses I have ever played, IN THE SAME DAY!!! ;D
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 04:48:57 PM »
Woodlawn, A 9 hole course in Tarentum Pa.

I drained a 30 yard pitch so it was all good. And this was after 7 days of rain so the green were running at like a 5. Maybe.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 04:51:52 PM »
Lone Pine, west palm beach

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 10:29:35 PM »
Gentlemen,

AB Negative blood continues to squirt from the rectum of the unfortunate - and likely traumatized - investor who tried to rescue what might have been an amusing gem on the Skyway between Chico and Paradise (California).

Two years ago, while vainly trying to evict a family of reprobate/deadbeat/grifters from the former Casa de Redhead in Paradise, we passed Tuscan Ridge, under construction and set on an overlook with Butte Canyon on the right and a spectacular view of the upper valley from every point.

Algie Pulley (Jr.) had built the front nine as was working on the back when they (read: owners/suckers) suddenly ran out of jing. The putting surfaces - with no topographic constraints - were notable primarily for the necessity to often chip from one quadrant to the other. Sometimes, the surrounds were dead-flat and yet there would inevitably be a sign instructing players to avoid using wedges on the putting surface and take a drop.

I've found that there are some movies so horrible in thought word and deed that they almost become *good* in a strange and twisted sense. Russ Meyer made a living on this pseudo-genre and Tuscan Ridge promised to at least be a cautionary tale of sorts for brainless investors.

No such luck as we discovered two years later. The back nine was open and the most notable feature of the golf course was the 50-something barmaid with plastic tits from 1987.

One would have thought that Algie Jr. might have learned from his mistakes, but I've seen the rest of their work - notably Moraga CC.

It is not fair to lay the entire debacle at his feet because the red clay is better suited to the construction of Aborigines Mud Huts than a golf course. However, even the apes from Kubrick's 2001 knew enough not to build every green in amoeba-esque shapes, surrounded by five inch crabgrass.

Okay, I will admit it, it was so mind-bendingly hideous that I will play it again just for the entertainment value of making snide remarks . . . . . . maybe by then they will be able to afford a beverage cart to give Ms. Plastic Tits something to do besides stare out the window in an empty clubhouse.              
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:32:30 PM by Gib Papazian »

Mike Benham

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 10:49:33 PM »
Classic - 2 1/2 months between posts and Gib is back to his old form ... My how we have missed you ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 10:54:34 PM »
I played a couple of weeks ago with my brother at the Fred Enke Golf Course in Tucson.  A tough little desert-wash public venue, in tougher shape.  I got a bad case of the hooks and lost about five balls.

Then I went to Ballyneal the next day and shot 78 because I didn't have to worry about finding the ball.

Really, Fred Enke wasn't that bad, turf conditions aside.  But the next-worst course I've played this year would have to come from Black Mesa, Crystal Downs, North Berwick West Links, or one of my own, so Fred Enke is definitely it.

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 10:54:46 PM »
Lone Pine, west palm beach

The scary thing is, if you're stuck in the freezing cold and snow in the Northeast in the middle of winter, Lone Pine looks pretty good from 1300 miles away.

Troy Alderson

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 11:37:26 PM »
Shadow Hills, home of the Nationwide Tour stop in OR. There was not a single hill on the entire course. If they are that misleading in the name, the rest of the picture ain't pretty. I couln't help thinking that if guys like Jason Gore were getting a steady diet of this, then how the heck can he do what he did at Pinehurst?

Garland,

You have made my day regarding Shadow Hills.  My wonderful boss loves that golf course.  The superintendent was Oregon GCSA Superintendent of the Year in 2005, so I am sure that the golf course was in great shape just no topography.  Maybe the name should be Shadows from the Surrounding Hills.

Troy

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 12:02:22 AM »
Troy,

The front nine was flat and uninteresting, including the greens and fairway traps. I could just as well have been playing on the cheap nine holers on the plains of SD, except for the occasional Doug Fir. This high handicapper drove into two fairway traps on the front nine. With no lip to speak of I hit low shots onto the greens from the traps. It would have been just as effective a hazard if they had simple Rounduped the grass and left the ground bare. I guess they would have had to make artistic applications of the roundup to gain the "beautiful" effect of kidney shaped bare spots.

In case I ever want to play your course, just sign me.

Garfield Bailey

PS, I have to admit there was more interest on the back 9, but first 9 impressions are hard to overcome.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 12:40:53 AM »
Wow!!!!

Some Gave All!!!!

JWK

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 01:44:28 AM »
I've just been reminded by "she who must be obeyed unless I'm out of town and somebody is buying tequila" that my snot-osity about little Tuscan Hills was a bit too harsh.

"After all," she opined, "at least it's a stand alone golf course and not like that horrible place up near Sacramento."

So, I would like to issue a partial retraction for the aforementioned sneer at Algie Pulley and toss up a grapefruit sized offering that brought instantaneous nausea to my aesthetic sensibilities.

Yes gentlemen, the nightmare of all nightmares for those of us who have began the slippery slide down the wrong side of middle-age:

Retirement Community Golf.

It is unwise to name names as it may annoy people who are otherwise unfailingly nice to me. However, I've instructed the Redhead that if I ever wander in the door with the notion of moving into one of those cookie-cutter coffins (read: retirement villas) lining the fairways of these holding tanks of the half dead, she is to suffocate me with a pillow and spend the insurance money on champagne and an acrobatic giggolo.

More tomorrow on my observations. . . . . . starting with a query as to why a couple who save and invest wisely for their entire lives would suddenly spend 25,000 dollars on a golf cart built to look like a Bentley . . . . . driving it dressed in plaid polyester.  

David Ober

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 01:52:50 AM »
Menifee Lakes.

It's kind of like playing "McGolf."

Jordan Wall

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 10:29:35 AM »
Sandpines

Gene Greco

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 10:38:29 AM »
Gentlemen,

AB Negative blood continues to squirt from the rectum of the unfortunate - and likely traumatized - investor who tried to rescue what might have been an amusing gem on the Skyway between Chico and Paradise (California).

Two years ago, while vainly trying to evict a family of reprobate/deadbeat/grifters from the former Casa de Redhead in Paradise, we passed Tuscan Ridge, under construction and set on an overlook with Butte Canyon on the right and a spectacular view of the upper valley from every point.

Algie Pulley (Jr.) had built the front nine as was working on the back when they (read: owners/suckers) suddenly ran out of jing. The putting surfaces - with no topographic constraints - were notable primarily for the necessity to often chip from one quadrant to the other. Sometimes, the surrounds were dead-flat and yet there would inevitably be a sign instructing players to avoid using wedges on the putting surface and take a drop.

I've found that there are some movies so horrible in thought word and deed that they almost become *good* in a strange and twisted sense. Russ Meyer made a living on this pseudo-genre and Tuscan Ridge promised to at least be a cautionary tale of sorts for brainless investors.

No such luck as we discovered two years later. The back nine was open and the most notable feature of the golf course was the 50-something barmaid with plastic tits from 1987.

One would have thought that Algie Jr. might have learned from his mistakes, but I've seen the rest of their work - notably Moraga CC.

It is not fair to lay the entire debacle at his feet because the red clay is better suited to the construction of Aborigines Mud Huts than a golf course. However, even the apes from Kubrick's 2001 knew enough not to build every green in amoeba-esque shapes, surrounded by five inch crabgrass.

Okay, I will admit it, it was so mind-bendingly hideous that I will play it again just for the entertainment value of making snide remarks . . . . . . maybe by then they will be able to afford a beverage cart to give Ms. Plastic Tits something to do besides stare out the window in an empty clubhouse.              

"Fear and Loathing in Paradise, California?"

I thought Hunter S. Thompson had just passed away? ;)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:09:29 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back