News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Most underwhelming 'great' hole
« on: May 25, 2006, 11:45:51 AM »
Which is the hole which left you most underwhelmed. I.e. you were anticipating great things, due to a big reputation, but left you feeling let down.

For me it was 17 at Pebble Beach. On the tee, I just couldn't believe this was the same hole you see on the TV. The hole seemed to lack any definition.

Marty Bonnar

Re:Most underwhelming 'great' hole
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 11:54:04 AM »
Ed,
for me it is also a '17th'.
The Road Hole - which I have parred EVERY time I've played it. What's the fuss? ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 11:55:55 AM »
I'm not sure anyone's called it a great hole, but television announcers talk about it a lot ("great risk/reward hole," site of Stadler's towel incident, etc.)--the 18th at Torrey Pines.  I found it dull and competely uninspiring.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:56:57 AM »
10 at Muirfield Village- I didn't think there was anything wrong with necessarily, but I certainly wasn't wowed, any of the times I was playing it. I did like it better than the 9th though, that is for sure.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 11:59:13 AM »
Ed,
for me it is also a '17th'.
The Road Hole - which I have parred EVERY time I've played it. What's the fuss? ;D

FBD.

Martin,

You've only played it once haven't you?

Ed

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 03:24:19 PM »
I'm not sure anyone's called it a great hole, but television announcers talk about it a lot ("great risk/reward hole," site of Stadler's towel incident, etc.)--the 18th at Torrey Pines.  I found it dull and competely uninspiring.

Stadler's towel incident was on 15 I believe. 18 is a good risk reward hole depending on the tee placement, but not a great hole. My biggest disappointment on a great course was #3 at Olympic. At the time I played, it was considered one of the best 18 holes in the US and it just didn't wow me. 16 or 17 at Lincoln Park have better views of the Golden Gate.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 03:25:16 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:34:03 PM »

Stadler's towel incident was on 15 I believe. 18 is a good risk reward hole depending on the tee placement, but not a great hole.

Thanks for the correction.  I wasn't sure about that when I wrote it--I was just trying to recall some of Nantz's blathering regarding that hole and that's what I mistakenly came up with.  

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:49:03 PM »
I used to have trouble figuring out what all the fuss was on #8 at Crystal Downs (uphill par 5). After multiple plays I have come to see the genius. Same with #13 at Pacific Dunes.
   Sometimes it just takes time to comprehend the brilliance.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 05:50:14 PM »
Martin old FBD, has anyone taken the time to tell you that The Road Hole was changed to par 4?   ??? ::) :P  It's a great par 5 but one hell of a par 4!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 06:05:26 PM »
Tim and Tim;
Just for accuracy's sake, the Towel Incident occurred on the right side of #14.  Some kind of non native tree that ate alot of errant shots when I played Torrey way back in high school.

Tom
the pres

Tim Pitner

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 06:10:01 PM »
Tom J,

Any opinion on #18 at Torrey Pines South?

Gary Daughters

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 06:18:15 PM »
Don't really know that this qualifies as "great," but the downhill par-3 at Atlanta Country Club (#13) once had quite a rep.  After that, maybe before, there was this outbreak of par-3's with dramatic drops.

For the most part they're bad holes.  Fillers.

Although.. #13 at ACC is the best one of the genre I have played.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Mark_F

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 06:24:37 PM »
The first at Macrihanish.

A pleasant hole in a stunning setting, but really, is it all THAT good?

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 06:35:06 PM »
Tim;

My many rounds at Torrey and #18 were all pre-water hazard.  Back then I always looked forward to the sometimes reachable 5 par and the chance to gain a stroke back.  The green then was as it is now, raised and tilted back to front, with the only bunker in the right front.

By the way, the green complexes at Torrey have been rebuilt at least two times.  Original in '56 (I believe), then rebuilt, three greens on each course at a time, in '66'67, or so, then maybe again in the 80s.  So the greens I played growing up at Torrey were a far cry from the current ones.  Those original ones nearly uniformly raised slightly off the approach,had relatively steep front portions that were moist and thatchy, and plateaus for the rear two-thirds that were really firm.  So they were tough to play into....the fronts keeping balls from running in, the back rejecting almost all decent shots.

I don't mind the water hazard on #18, as it adds to the shot into the green....but wish it somehow was more natural than the simple, dug-in-the-ground hole that it seems to be.  In my mind the only real way to have it appear natural would be as part of a barranca type feature that crossed in front of the green, and flowed from there, past 7 tee, and into the real barranca right of 6 and 7.  I certainly don't see that occurring, but that concept at least would have integrity with the natural landscape.

Cool and showery here at Bandon.

Tom
the pres

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 06:41:15 PM »
I haven't played it, but #16 at Oakland Hills probably falls into this category.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 06:44:25 PM »
Tom J,

Perfect description of the water hazard on Torrey #18--a dug-in-the-ground hole.  That was the turn-off for me.  The big question is, how does the weather look for Bandon on June 15-18?

Mark,

I haven't played Macrihanish, but I've wondered about the greatness of that hole too.  After the tee shot, what else is there?  But, of course, that may be like saying of Scarlett Johansson--after her breasts, what else is there?  Well, perhaps, but about the first thing . . .
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:33:57 PM by Tim Pitner »

John Goodman

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 06:48:28 PM »
I would concur that Pebble 17 was a little bit of a letdown, mostly by comparison with what came before, on the front 9.

I would have to disagree about TOC 17 - the nature of the gathering bunker, the blind tee shot, the puzzle of the approach, the road and wall - one of the great holes in the game, to me.

I think Carnoustie 6 gets a reputation boost from its history.  The tee shot to me is simply a choice between two not very attractive alternatives - I saw no line of instinct or line of charm, and my thought process was just "boy I hope I don't hit this out of bounds left, or into the center bunker, or into the junk right."  A good golf hole, but not one that generates interest to match its "world class" reputation.  I guess I sort of feel that way about the course, to be frank.  Part of that lukewarmness is just that the course is so friggin' hard, too.

I was going to mention some holes at Muirfield, but the more I think back on it the more I think I was probably "whelmed."  So never mind.

peter_p

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 07:06:29 PM »
Tim,
You won't have a good feel for the weather until 3-5 days out. Chances are good because our summer usually starts as the Rose Festival closes.

Klondike at Lahinch. No wind, birdie. At a disadvantage because most of my great courses have been played in near perfect conditions.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 07:08:24 PM »
Bill, John et al,
ex-CUSE ME, but all I was saying was the Road hole, MUCH AS I LOVE IT!, has NEVER OVERWHELMED moi; the humble handicap golfer.
It has always been a Driver or 3-Wood left, followed by anything from a 3-Wood to a 6-Iron right, then a deft chip and simple putt.
No mystery, no hidden agenda, just well played golf.
EASY!
again, WHAT's THE FUSS!?!?!

yours,
an FBD, (funnin' with ya a tad!)

John Goodman

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 07:12:05 PM »
FDB -

You play it from the staid Brit missionary position, huh?  My last effort there recalled a line from a Beatles song - can you name it?

JG

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 07:22:19 PM »
FDB -

You play it from the staid Brit missionary position, huh?  My last effort there recalled a line from a Beatles song - can you name it?

JG

John,
'when I find myself in times of trouble'?
'jai guru de va'?

wait, I got it...!

'why don't we do it in THE ROAD!!!!'

FBD ;)

John Goodman

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 07:25:05 PM »
BINGO!

(I don't think there's a line about doing it in the Old Course Hotel Patio, but if so that would apply too. . . )

Mike Boehm

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 09:17:31 PM »
I would say #16 at Oakland Hills South was an underwhelming hole.  In fact, I think it was my least favorite of the par 4's on the back nine.

Sean Leary

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 09:23:56 PM »
I hate to say it but 16 at Pasatiempo.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »
Tim,
You won't have a good feel for the weather until 3-5 days out. Chances are good because our summer usually starts as the Rose Festival closes.
Peter,
I have to say you read my mind on that post. :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back