News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Sebonack
« on: May 24, 2006, 10:53:10 PM »
Rumor has it that the golf course is terrific.

That the property and views are the equal if not better than its neighbors.

That the WIND is very much a factor

That the golf course is very challenging, especially from the back tees.

That it remains a work in progress with a green being moved back about 50 yards on one hole.

That all the hype appears to be "on target".

Steve_Roths

Re:Sebonack
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 11:32:18 PM »
Not to disagree with you on one of your points, but I have heard from the NGLA crowd that it will not catch its neighbors.  

Just passing on what I have heard.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 11:41:58 PM »

No offense Pat but are you trying to state the obvious ;)

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 11:44:31 PM »
Steve - I think only time will tell if Sebonack will measure up to its neighbors.  It certainly does have more to match up with then any other new course in the country.  Lets just see, in about 60 years!!! ;)
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Steve_Roths

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:16:13 AM »
You're right.  We or I seem to try and decide on things too quickly.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out over time.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 12:25:49 AM »
What green is being moved back 50 yards already?  Is it a par 4/5?

That seems like a significant move that will really alter the strategy of any hole, any idea as to what brought on the change from the original design?

Comparing it to it's legendary neighbors from the start really isn't very fair although unavoidable.  A more appropriate comparison would be to some of the other noteworthy modern courses such as Friar's Head, Atlantic, or Bayonne.

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 04:00:52 AM »
The 16th at Sebonack, originally a short par-4 to a bomerang green like the 7th at Cryustal Downs, has now been lengthened to 450 yards to a green 50 yards back and higher up on the hill.

Comparing Sebonack to NGLA or Shinnecock is a futile exercise since so much of what those courses offer is tradition, history and design legacy. Sebonack does make very good use of its site and feels a lot less like a modern course and more like a classical layout. Once you get beyomd the story of the design collaboration and judge it on its own terms, I think it stands up very wella and provides a comfortable complement to those courses wthout feeling forced or manufactured. Unfortunately, not a lot of people are going to get the chance since it's so private.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 05:27:16 AM »

Comparing it to it's legendary neighbors from the start really isn't very fair although unavoidable.  A more appropriate comparison would be to some of the other noteworthy modern courses such as Friar's Head, Atlantic, or Bayonne.

Based on what I have seen through the hedges, pictures and being on the property before the course was even contemplated, I find it amazing that four courses can sit directly adjacent to one another and each play completely different from one another.

Tom Paul's Big World Theory at its best.

However, I think the natural comparison will be to Friars Head for this group here at GCA due to the Nicklaus/Doak - C&C connection. I was at Friars Head recently and I have to say it really is getting better with age. He opened  a bunch of vistas, cleared the trees from the hill between 16 & 17, lengthened some holes (not that I needed to go back!) and the clubhouse fits the place more that I could have imagined.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 05:37:08 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 07:46:32 AM »
To be a noteworthy Member of the list of clubs in that neighborhood makes one an automatic Member of our nations best. I too hope the course lives up to its advance billing.

redanman

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 08:37:20 AM »

Can you list "all that hype" for us?

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 09:06:51 AM »

No hype on Sebonack? ??? Maybe Doak and Nicklaus need to pull a Trumpster move and shoot you a free round and lunch for an article.  

Friars Head is near Sebonack, and it has been open a few years and it is one of the best courses built in modern times yet more people are familiar with the Sebonack than Friars Head.

No hype?

Matt MacIver

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 11:49:24 AM »
Maybe this comments belongs on the "What's the best course write-up thread"...but I've read that Friar's Head review a dozen times and it keeps getting better.  Maybe it's those black-and-white pictures that show so much contour in the greens...or maybe it's the contour in the greens!  

Sacreligious statement: I've not played any of the LI classics, but given one choice...Friar's Head would be tough to say no to.  

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »
Not to disagree with you on one of your points, but I have heard from the NGLA crowd that it will not catch its neighbors.  

Just passing on what I have heard.

Some of my sources are members of NGLA and they were glowing in their praise for Sebonack.

They felt that Sebonack fits very comfortably in the neighborhood.

But, that's just THEIR opinion, which I'm repeating.

Redanman,

You'll have to do your own research-homework

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 11:57:18 AM »
Why the need to prioritize or order ?

Do you do that with your children ?

Friar's Head is a wonderful golf course.
So are many other courses on the East End.

It appears that Sebonack will be a welcome and worthy addition, like a newborn child.

redanman

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 12:16:36 PM »
Gooooogle, the Industry leader, search for "Sebonack"

Homework for Hammy/Patrick :)

Which one(s) of the 693?

le mot du jour

"Hype"

#1 Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.
#2 Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: “It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job” (Saturday Review).
#3 An advertising or promotional ploy: “Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as ‘Restaurant City, U.S.A.’” (New York).
#4 Something deliberately misleading; a deception: “ [He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies” (Joel Oppenheimer).

Words again, Patrick (Sorry, I just can't resist) :) ;)

Are you saying that the comments made are

Excessive?
Exaggerated?
A ploy?
Deliberately misleading?

Or that they are NOT?

Did you mean : It appears that none of the advance comments were HYPE, but were actually representative of the product?  It actually IS terriffic!

I never thought that this course was particularily hyped, I thnk they have been rather reserved and restrained. I think they would have been successful if the course were developed in complete secrecy.

Just funnin' with ya.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 12:25:40 PM »
Redanman,

In addition to sharp implements, did they take your computer away from you ?

You must have missed some of the posts related to Sebonack over the last few years.

Some have viewed the opening of Sebonack as the next coming.

I'm just repeating what I was told, that the golf course will live up to high expectations.

As HBH indicated, maybe we'll learn more about the golf course in your review.

redanman

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 12:44:55 PM »
They have NOT offered me lunch. :'(

Actually, I do not yet have the assignment to review Sebonack.  

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 12:50:45 PM »
Doc,  Were you referring to media hype, not the steifeled anal ramblings of a bunch of geeks? ;)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 09:52:23 PM »
Nicklaus played it last week and was entirely satisfied.  He also shot 1-over from the back, which meant he can still play a little; none of the professionals out there last fall broke 76.

Jim Lipe played with him and maybe he will report on the round.

Now that the new green is built on the 16th, I don't miss the old one.  We were trying to build something similar to the 7th at Crystal Downs, but after several softenings, it wasn't that great.  Unhappy with that version, I promptly went out to Ballyneal and built the great 7th green there with Brian Schneider:  it might be even more fun than the 7th at the Downs.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 10:00:38 PM »
Tom Doak,

Did the forced method of construction influence your ability to create the green to your satisfaction ?

How much easier is it to design and construct greens at Ballyneal than Sebonack ?

JWL

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 10:45:02 PM »
Sebonack is terrific.  
Jack shot even par from the back tees.  He took a couple of mulligans but as it would be, he bogied those holes anyway.  
Jack was very pleased with the course.   He thought it played easier than it looked.   The bunkering is quite intimidating from the tee, but there is plenty of room to play golf.   I personally drove the ball terribly, but was only in one fairway bunker.
There is a wonderful mix of difficult and easier par 4's and 5's.   The par 3's have great variety and require all different shot type and length.   #12, although the shortest, might prove to be the most demanding, although the 4th is awfully long from the back tee into the wind. (Full 3 wood)
There are a couple of green complexes that should be monitored closely to see how the pin placements work and how the ball can be controlled around the green.   Don't ask me which ones.  
All in all, the course is terrific and great fun to play and challenging for all levels of play.   With all the beauty surrounding, what more can one ask.
I think Tom and Jack, as well as Jim and Chris should be very proud of their work at Sebonack.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 11:00:14 PM »
JWL,

I thought I said that.  ;D

John Kirk

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 11:04:10 PM »
JWL,

Your post seems to indicate that you played the round with Jack.  I hope that's true.  My first thought was how wonderful to have had that opportunity, a memory of a lifetime.  He's still considered the greatest golfer of all time, you know.  One of the few athletes easily identifiable by his first name.

Anyway, for your sake, I hope that's the way it happened.  Thanks for one of my favorite GCA stories this year.

JK

JWL

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 11:17:36 PM »
JK

yes, I played with Jack, and as always it is a great memory.
Mike Pascucci and Jim Urbina went around with us and both hit a few shots.
Urbina even hit my Nicklaus driver on #18 and hit it well.   He said it was the best graphite driver he had ever hit, or something along that line.   As many of you know, Jim has a affinity for anything non modern, so that was quite a compliment.  ;D

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 07:08:44 AM »
Rumor has it that the golf course is terrific.

That the property and views are the equal if not better than its neighbors.

That the golf course is very challenging, especially from the back tees.

That it remains a work in progress with a green being moved back about 50 yards on one hole.

The rumor is true (at least from my perspective!).

http://tinyurl.com/jcd37

Don't know about "hype". Is high praise "hype" even when it's justified? I doubt Sebonack needs hype. Word is prospective members are lining up three deep but Sebonack is very selective and deliberate. And they could probably charge $1 million to join and would sell out anyway.

The place is out of this world.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back