News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Chapman

Senior Open in Hutch
« on: May 23, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »
My brother and I will be volunteering at Prairie Dunes for the Senior Open. Are there any GCA members planning on traveling to see Perry's masterpiece the week of July 3.

My brother just played there on Thursday (firing 71)  :o and said if the wind doesn't blow he's afraid they might get go crazy low. He said they course will close to carts on June 3 and to all play around the 19th, so I'm sure the USGA will get it firmed up a bit.

It would be great to meet up with any GCA members while we are there.

Jason Blasberg

Re:Senior Open in Hutch
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 01:03:34 PM »
I'm not going to be there in July (too HOT for me!) but I was there with buddies earlier this month in cold, damp and windy conditions . . . it's not going to be easy with green speeds above 11.

The primary rough is healthy and with any wind those guys are going to miss fairways.  

I did have a 38 on the front from the Open tees with 8 pars(couln't putt and doubled 7 with a wedge approach).  The greens were very receptive b/c of the rain so if it rains with little wind the course can play tame.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:05:15 PM »
I predict, however, typical US Open scoring:  Round 1 low score with be 4-under and 3-under wins the event.  

John Kirk

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 01:13:50 PM »
I'm not going to be there in July (too HOT for me!) but I was there with buddies earlier this month in cold, damp and windy conditions . . . it's not going to be easy with green speeds above 11.

I visited PD once about 18 months ago, but during the visit I discussed the upcoming tournament with Stan George, the superintendent.  He told me the USGA has instructed him to prepare the greens for a stimpmeter reading of 10.  They have beautiful grass there, by the way.

Mr. George knew his course extremely well.  They really have their act together out there.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 02:20:43 PM »
Sorry you guys can't make it.

I didn't want to make it sound as if my brother thought the place was going to be "easy" and John is 100% on. Mr. George will have that place just as the USGA intends and I'm sure the fairways will be firm and the balls will get plenty of run -- both forward and to places where the golfers don't want the ball to go.

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 01:26:04 AM »
Tony,
    What does your brother play off, to be shooting 71? Thats a solid round at PD for anyone. Whatever the winning score ends up being will be very well-earned, and enjoyable to watch. Have fun volunteering, I have done that at a number of Opens and it is a lot of fun.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 10:25:05 AM »
Tony

That is a wonderful score your brother shot.

PD has numerous "land mines" where a round can be ruined in a heartbeat. To avoid these over the course of a four round tournament will be challenge and if anyone is up to it then they deserve to win regardless of the score.

Don't you think the amount of wind they get will be a huge factor?  I recall the Womens US Open at PD had what was reported as the four calmest days anyone can recall at PD.

Mark Arata

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 12:26:54 PM »
even without wind, I dont see these guys going crazy low there, the USGA could put the pins in places that par would be a great score, and with the heat and some of the up and down walks, I dont think anyone is going to go crazy. 5-7 under with no wind, even par or worse if the wind is up.
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 12:35:11 PM »
Tony,

I plan on being down in Hutch for at least part of that week.  However it most likely will not be until Friday-Sunday.  Do you guys know yet what you will be doing for your volunteer duties?  My father and sister volunteered at PD for the women's Open a couple years back and had a good time.  It would be nice to see a bit more wind than we had then.  

Is Tyler still down in Wichita?  Sounds like he must be playing some golf these days to be shooting scores like that.  Is he playing any tournament golf this summer?  I'm trying to play in at least a few state events but making it fit in the schedule and finding a cooperating golf game is becoming difficult.

-Daryn Soldan

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 11:27:54 PM »
All - My brother is basically a scratch and I'll just amaze everyone with this one. He shot his 71 with a 3-month old daughter at home and then on Saturday earned his Master of Science in Accounting. He's a great guy, father, brother and golfer.

He was +4 after a double on the eighth, birdie the 9th and then shot 33 on the back (three birdies and a bogey, I believe). Enough about him.

Daryn - Ty just plays one tournament a month is all. He will come up to Nebraska for two of them, no state tournaments I don't think. I'm actually taking the 3rd and 5th off from work, so we will volunteer during the practice rounds. I won't be there for the tournament proper. Good to hear from you; Ty and I got to Chisholm Trail in April and had a great time -- a very fun golf course.

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 01:20:52 PM »
Tony,

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed Chisholm Trail.  I haven't made it over there yet this year but was considering it for this weekend to avoid the holiday crowds.  On one of your trips south you should see about fitting Colbert Hills into your schedule.

Too bad it doesn't look like we'll be in Hutch during the same part of Sr Open week.  I'm supposed to be in Denver early that week but if plans change I'll let you know and maybe we can meet up.

Daryn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back