News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

C&C's New Layout at We-Ko-Pa
« on: May 16, 2006, 10:09:03 PM »
COORE CRENSHAW-DESIGNED “SAGUARO” COURSE ON SCHEDULE FOR DECEMBER 2006 OPENING

Fort McDowell, Ariz. – Construction crews have finished shaping all of the fairways and bunkers on We-Ko-Pa Golf Club’s new Saguaro (pronounced sa·hua·ro) Course, a Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw design scheduled to open for daily fee play this December. Installation of the course’s irrigation system is 70 percent complete and by the end of May, hydra-sprigging will begin on the fairways and tees with 419-tif Bermuda grass and the greens with tif-dwarf grass.

Architect Bill Coore, who personally contours and finishes all 18 greens prior to sprigging, sees the course really taking shape: “The way this ground moves and flows, it felt like a golf course the first time Ben and I stepped foot on property more than a year ago,” said Coore. “Now that we’re about ready to grass the course, I think we’ve got something pretty unique for the desert. It’s not target a golf course like many courses you find in the desert, but one that will accept and require all types of shots be played. If I were asked to draw a comparison, I’d say Saguaro really has the feel of a classic, walk-able private club you’d find back east where greens are close to tees and the course just follows the natural movement of the land.”

In addition to naming the Coore and Crenshaw-designed course “Saguaro,” the Club also named their existing Scott Miller-designed course, which opened in December 2001, Cholla (pronounced choi·a).

“Ever since We-Ko-Pa opened, we’ve celebrated our pristine desert golf course and our rugged natural beauty,” said Club General Manager Jeff Lessig. “After mulling over literally hundreds of possible names for our two golf courses, the choices were pretty obvious in the end. The saguaro and cholla cacti that dot the terrain are part of what make We-Ko-Pa special.”

The talented Austin, Texas and Scottsdale-based architectural team of Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw have been together since 1986. Their courses include: Sand Hills Golf Club in Mullen, Nebraska; Friar’s Head in Baiting Hollow, New York; The Golf Club at Cuscowilla in Eatonton, Georgia; Bandon Trails in Bandon, Oregon and Old Sandwich Golf Club in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

Open since December 2001, We-Ko-Pa Golf Club’s Cholla course is one of the most highly-acclaimed layouts to open in Arizona. Accolades include: Top Ten Best New Courses in the World, Sports Illustrated; 2002 Development of the Year, Golf Inc. Magazine; Best New Public Course, The Arizona Republic; Top 40 Daily Fee Golf Course in US, 2004 GOLF Magazine; Top 50 Best Golf Courses in US, 2005 ZAGAT Survey.

We-Ko-Pa is owned by the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation and is managed by Scottsdale-based EF Golf and OB Sports. For more information on We-Ko-Pa, visit them online at www.wekopa.com or call (480) 836-9000.

John Foley

Re:C&C's New Layout at We-Ko-Pa
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:19:19 PM »
Matt I was there a few weeks ago and tried to get out, but the comment saw since they had not yet put the cart paths in there was no easy way to get around.

Did get a pic from the plane on the way out. Can't tell much in terms of details though.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 11:20:34 PM by john_foley »
Integrity in the moment of choice

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 11:38:33 PM »
I'm glad to see C&C are completing another course to be offered in the public venue, so the golfing public at large will get a sampling of their work.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:46:49 PM »
Thanks to the approval of Dave Zinkand, Jeremy Glenn and I had the chance to walk a few holes of the course a few weeks ago.

I took a bunch of pictures as reference material for construction methods regarding bunkering, but I don't know if the C & C team would appreciate me posting them here....

However, all I can say is both Jeremy and I were very impressed by what we saw.  The course seems to have great potential on a great piece of property.  The short par four 2nd (or 11th?) really got us excited with what appeared to be a wide undulating fairway sprinkled with the famous C & C bunkers.  The 18th (top right in above picture, below range) was also very impressive with a daunting uphill tee shot to a steeply sloped fairway bordered on the left with a huge bunker cut out of the steep upslope of the desert floor.

This looks like another winner that will get many on here very excited once it opens.  One thing is for sure: Jeremy and I will definately play there next time we're in the area!

Yannick

P.S. By the way, warm thanks to Jeff Mingay for the contact.  And warm thanks to Dave for letting us on the course....  The GM was not to excited about us going there, but let us anyways after we talked with Dave....  It was all worth it!
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 09:56:51 PM »
I'm glad to hear that this course appears to be walkable. The Cholla course is more often than not cart paths only.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 10:00:45 PM »
John,
Thank you very much for the aerial.
How cool is this website?
It is like 1500 correspondants and associates...

It definately looks like a c&c course - is it too predictable?
Many change of directions, circular greens with wide surrounds and lots of lines of charm (even a straight one).
I do think it makes for a very nice course.

Some might comment on the separate loops of returning nines too...  :)  
Or do they cross over?

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 10:05:25 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 10:41:34 PM »
I must confess to a high level of excitement at any new C&C course.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 01:00:34 AM »
Any new information about the course. Just about 3 months away from the opening.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 01:24:32 AM »
Saguaro really has the feel of a classic, walk-able private club you’d find back east where greens are close to tees and the course just follows the natural movement of the land.”

Glad to hear the course will be walkable.  The Scott Miller course may be "walkable" in the sense that you can walk it if you want to, but it is certainly not a walkable design.  And not fun to ride either, with the cart paths only rule 100% of the time.  I am really looking forward to playing this course at We-Ko-Pa.  There aren't too many courses you can walk in the Valley of the Sun.  Talking Stick's courses are very walkable, and it's fun to see the expressions on the faces of the staff when you tell them that's what you are going to do!

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 01:38:15 AM »
Bill I hope you don't do that in the middle of summer after about 10 am!

What do you think of Scott Miller's course? I was thinking about getting over there before the rates jump up. Or should I play my first Fazio over at Grayhawk?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 02:31:56 AM »
Miller's course is excellent...dont miss it.

If the CC course is the Saguaro, what's the MIller course going to be called?  The cholla course?

It was also an easy walk, I walked it with Brian silva in Jan and we had no problem.  very easy walk.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 07:28:20 AM »
The original course at WeKoPa is indeed named "Cholla."

There is a picture of the 4th hole, a short 4par, at Saguaro on the website:

www.wekopa.com/layout9.asp?id=236&page=11613

The course is scheduled to open in December.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 08:24:42 PM »
As I recall the nines return to the area above the original clubhouse. The pretty much intertwine. The course looks wide, but there is not that much turf. It is about what most North Scottsdale courses allow — near 90 acres. I think Bill did a great job using the turf acreage...making it appear wide in areas without exceeding the alottment. There is an uphill par-4 I especially liked. It curves right and is actually quite narrow and nasty from the tee. Reacahable, but only with the distance and an extremely accurate tee ball. Otherwise it is an iron and then a short iron in.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 08:45:01 PM »
Forrest, I think I am heading over We-ko-pa to check out the Cholla course Tuesday. Is there someone in particular that I can contact to see If I can walk around the new course and take some pictures?

Is this 90 Acre turf limit a new restriction in Scottsdale? Talking Stick North seemed like it had the most grass of any desert layout I have ever played.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 08:48:31 PM by Ryan Farrow »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 09:10:39 PM »
Ryan

I don't think TS  is bound by the Scottsdale water restriction as it's Indian land.

The 90 acres of turf limit has been in effect for some time.

Steve

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 09:16:53 PM »
Steve I would say you nailed it but we-ko-pa is also located on this "Indian Land"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 09:23:34 PM »
Matt Ward,
 Is that your article or a cut and paste?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back