News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Cabot Links
« on: May 12, 2006, 09:58:49 AM »
Any updates on this project?  I keep reading the projected date of readiness to be sometime in 2007, so the construction must be underway.

I was checking out the options for golf on Cape Breton, obviously Highland Links (x2 or 3) and Bell Bay seem to be the must-plays.  They tout the "fabulous foursome" of HL, BB, Dundee Resort and Le Portage in some of the packages, but the last two seem to be slightly lacking on the interest meter.

So, I might just have to wait until Cabot is done before the grand Cape Breton tour....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

A_Clay_Man

Re:Cabot Links
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:05:29 AM »
Brad,
I think the land is just finishing being transfered, with a mid-late summer construction start.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:25:03 AM »
Here's one of the recent pix

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 04:21:51 PM »
Very nice.....thanks Adam.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 04:22:02 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Michael Robin

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 12:07:24 AM »
Brad - Le Portage is absolutely not worth playing, although the drive to
Cheticamp from Ingonish is stunning. Bell Bay is worth the effort especially the last few holes.

Adam - Where is Cabot Links located? It looks by the photo to be on the way to Ingonish past the ferry. Gorgeous looking land.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 10:46:03 AM »
Aw, c'mon...  Le Portage isn't that bad!  Granted, it's probably a Doak 3 or 4, but if you're in the area, it's worth a shot.

I liked it better than Bell Bay, but I'm sure that some fans of BB will laugh at me for saying that.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 03:02:04 PM »
I'm scheduled to play Bell Bay...should I bag it???????

I hate wasting a day
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 05:30:57 PM »
Michael, Hope this helps.

http://www.cabotlinks.com/images/map.jpg

Cary, From what I understand, meeting the head pro at Bell Bay is worth the day. Personally I hope you go there and report back.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 05:47:30 PM »
[quote author=Adam Clayman

Cary, From what I understand, meeting the head pro at Bell Bay is worth the day. Personally I hope you go there and report back.

Does this mean that the head pro maybe a woman with major mounds and no containment?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Michael Robin

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 06:12:41 PM »
Cary - Definately play Bell Bay. I wouldn't chase down Le Portage. I didn't get to Dundee opting for an extra round at Highlands Links so can't comment on that one.

Adam - Who is the GCA at Cabot Links?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 12:19:02 AM »
Michael, Rod Whitman is slated to do the work, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is input from several who contribute here.

And Cary, No, the head pro is a man. Not sure of his shirt size but I suspect he keeps things well contained.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 06:26:09 AM »
I'm scheduled to play Bell Bay...should I bag it???????

I hate wasting a day

Nah - you should definitely go.  But make sure you get up to Highlands Links and drive the Cabot Trail around to Cheticamp.

Here's a picture of Le Portage:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 08:08:29 AM by Dan Herrmann »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 07:43:22 AM »
I'm playing Highland Links twice

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 07:57:17 AM »
I'm playing Highland Links twice

Probably a good move. Bell Bay is a "nice" course, designed by Tom McBroom, with all the amenities, I would certainly go there as well. I have played neither Le Portage nor Dundee, but have talked to those who have gone to Dundee in the past and they are usually not all that impressed. It is fairly hilly and not to everyone's taste. But to each his own.

The Cabot project is one all of us in this part of the world are hoping and praying gets built. The site in Inverness is spectacular.

Eric Olsen

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 11:24:03 AM »
I played both Bell Bay and Highland Links last summer, on the front and back ends of a bike trip on the Cabot Trail.  Highland Links alone is worth traveling to Cape Breton Island, and I would agree that Bell Bay is nice but I am not sure I would make the drive there unless you had some other reason to go to Baddeck, although Bras D'Or Lakes is beautiful....

Tim MacEachern

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 04:13:02 PM »
Bell Bay is not too bad, but is a standard modern course with perhaps one or two nice holes.  #17 is a stunner from the back tees, and (this may surprise some) I like the layout of #15, a no-name par 3 with water left, hitting into the prevailing wind.  Pick your poison here.  To me, Bell Bay is, otherwise, the antithesis of proper bunker location.

If you have time, try to find a game at Lingan -- not far from Sydney airport if you arrive that way.  I really like this course, although it is the result of a mixture of architects.  The old holes (1-5, 10, 11, 17, 18) are fantastic (Malcolm Martin (1913),
Stanley Thompson (1922)); some of the new holes are also quite good: 7, 8, 9, 12, 14, 15 (C.E. Robinson (1964)).

Dundee is good only if you're a mountain goat or a hiker intent on wonderful views.  Your camera will get more of a workout than your appreciation of the golf course.  (BTW, one of the problems with Bell Bay is the lack of good views where they should really abound.)

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 04:56:03 PM »
It sounds like there is a real need for another world class layout, besides Highland Links, in that region. Assuming most of the golfers are visitors on holiday, the area can't help but increase their economiess with this project.

Whitman is fortunate to get his hands on this property. From what I understand, now that the secret is out, there are quite a few who are trying to, or tried, to position themselves for the gig.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 08:15:03 AM »
Don't forget the possibility of taking the ferry (or the Confederation Bridge) over to PEI for some golf too.  

Personally, I love the culture of Cape Breton, and the awesomeness of the national park.   You can go from the French Acadian culture in Cheticamp to the Scottish to the English.  I even think there's some German in there too.  I'd do a whale watching cruise (there's even a cruise with a CBI fiddeler onboard).  

But Highlands Links is one of the world's gems, and I can't recommend it highly enough.  It's a great walk too if you don't mind a bit of excersise.  

(by the way, the course doesn't have a driving range)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 08:16:30 AM »
It sounds like there is a real need for another world class layout, besides Highland Links, in that region. Assuming most of the golfers are visitors on holiday, the area can't help but increase their economiess with this project.

Whitman is fortunate to get his hands on this property. From what I understand, now that the secret is out, there are quite a few who are trying to, or tried, to position themselves for the gig.

Amen - if my wife and I had the funds, we'd try to open a bed and breakfast up there.  

Did I mention that we LOVE the Island?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 09:12:07 AM »
Sounds like Blue Bell is really nothing special.

What about Fox Harbor? I have heard mixed reviews.

What say the Treehouse.

We will also be at PEI for 3 days.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 12:56:38 PM »
Adam,

I'll be sure to let Rod know a few GCA 'ers are in the design, too     ;)
jeffmingay.com

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 01:29:26 PM »
Sounds like Blue Bell is really nothing special.

Bell Bay?
 ;)

What about Fox Harbor? I have heard mixed reviews.

Me too, never played it, but it is expensive and the reports I heard are that it didn't take advantage of its seaside location as well as it could have.

http://www.foxharbr.com/golf/

Want a hidden gem? Try Northumberland Links in Pugwash:

http://www.northumberlandlinks.com/default.htm

About 10 years ago I was a regular visitor to Abercrombie Golf Club in New Glasgow. Haven't been there in years so I don't know how it is today, but it was always a favorite.

http://www.abercrombiegolf.com/

I agree that C.B. could use another quality course, but a short season, flat local economy (especially the tourism sector), and ever-increasing demands for a high level of amenities conspire against it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 01:35:12 PM by Greg Beaulieu »

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 06:29:31 PM »
After a bit of an absence from the GCA, I am happy to see the interest in Cabot.

Adam posted one of the new photos, but here is a new shot of the first hole, hugging the inlet of MacIsaac's Pond.

The aim is to get construction started later this summer, I will update with more photos in a couple of weeks!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 07:37:49 PM »
Adam,

I'll be sure to let Rod know a few GCA 'ers are in the design, too     ;)

That's funny Jeff, because I was thinking of you when I wrote that. Oh, and Ben, Ran, and now, how can Cary's breast remarks NOT become part of the design? Mae West anyone? ;)

To the King!

Steve Curry

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 07:43:04 PM »
Ben,

Nice photo, stunning.

Steve

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back