News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Did some thinkin' over the weekend about a thread I posted on last week (I'll reveal it later, but don't want to spoil things...).

This isn't an exercise of self indulgence, I do have a point that I will make later.

So, indulge me please, and briefly share what you consider the best shot you've ever hit.

I'll share mine shortly. There aren't many, so it's a relatively easy choice.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joe Hancock

Re:Not really OT - What do you consider the best shot you've ever hit?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 04:50:43 PM »
I'm not sure if it's best, or most fun, or....

An 8 iron from 83 yards into a very strong wind in late November on the 17th at Crystal Downs to about 10 feet....and I really hit that 8 iron hard!

Joe

p.s. I have had a HIO as well.....decisions, decisions...

EDIT: I have to mention also...#9 at Kingsley, with Lucas, DeVries and Paul Thomas. I missed the green right from the south tees, so to get close with my chip I had to aim nearly 90 degrees from intended target. The shot worked great, with a 3 footer to save par...and the "other nationality" businessmen watching from the porch regaled me with not quite so thunderous applause.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:54:32 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 04:54:37 PM »
Since I've never made an ace, this becomes painful more than fun.  Or was that one of the points of this?

;)

In any case, for me one does jump out immediately.  

Background:  among my friends, over the years I developed the prickish habit on par threes where we cleared the green to waive another group up, of standing RIGHT NEXT to the flagstick, telling them that hacks that they are, it was the absolute safest place to stand.

Situation:  pre-wedding round for one of my best college buds.  Los Verdes GC, Palos Verdes, CA.  Not sure what hole it was but it's on the front nine - app. 200 yard uphill par 3.  We have five groups all playing, the place is packed, damn near all groups are somewhere near this hole.  The soon-to-be-wed friend himself is in the group in front of me... so he pulls the Huckaby stunt as they clear the green, standing directly behind the pin, loudly stating "payback's a bitch" or something to that effect.  My three playing partners all hit, don't make him budge, much to the raucous guffaws of all around.

Then it's my turn.

A scud missile of a 2iron never leaves the flag... we watch as he sees it coming... he's being brave, being brave, being brave... then at the last second he runs and dives off the green.

Which is fortunate for him as the ball lands 2 feet behind the hole and stays there.  He would have been severely maimed at the very least.

The crowd goes crazy.

Greatest shot I ever hit.

;D

And I'll be really interested to read how this relates to architecture in any way.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:56:57 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 05:19:44 PM »
Downwind downhill tee shot at the par 4 15th at Old Head where I came within 1 inch of becoming the first person to make a hole in 1 on that hole, (at least according to the caddies at the time, 5 years ago).  It was sitting directly behind the hole on the lip. It was blind so we couldn't see what happened..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 05:23:28 PM »
Sean - hmmmm... five years ago...

I never figured I'd ever find out what happened to the poor sap who believed he hit the ball there on 15.  In the group in front, prankster than I am, I saw the ball come down the hill and stop about 50 yards short of the green.  Great shot, we thought, but it could be better.  So I ran and grabbed it and placed it behind the hole.  Figured I'd make someone's day.

Just kidding.

Or am I?

;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:23:53 PM by Tom Huckaby »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 05:27:01 PM »
I airmailed a par 3 including the back bunker. The bunker had a very steep face and the pin was in the back of the green with a severe rear to front slope.

In front of my home pro, we were playing away in a one best ball, I said I think I'll take a 2 iron and punch it into the face of the bunker and watch it pop out.

With about 200 peole watching from the pool, and my home pro telling me it was not a smart shot because of the lake in the front of the green, I hit it perfectly, it hopped out, 2 bounces and rolled into the cup for a birdie.

I could stand there and hit balls for a year and maybe never duplicate the shot. My old pro was still shaking his head when I pulled the ball out of the cup. ;D ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 05:27:26 PM »
I bet you could run faster back then than you can now. ;)..At least you could have put it in the hole to help a fellow irishman out and get free guiness at the bar for your troubles..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 05:31:43 PM »
I bet you could run faster back then than you can now. ;)..At least you could have put it in the hole to help a fellow irishman out and get free guiness at the bar for your troubles..

Figured that wouldn't have been believable, and you wouldn't have had it count anyway given you would have likely abandoned it and played another ball before you found it in the hole.

But greedily the thought did cross my mind.

;D ;D ;D

In any case, yes, lots of hard living in these last five years.  I surely could not duplicate this now.

TH

ps - GREAT shot, btw, all my crap aside.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 05:43:01 PM »
If the best shot can be something with a short iron, then here's mine.

The scene: 18th at Olympic Lake, a Saturday afternoon with a big wedding reception happening in the clubhouse...several dozen reception guests on the veranda watching play below.

The shot: my second with an 8 iron hit pure as the driven snow..the ball hit the inside of the cup (made a big mark in the cup), bounced out and stuck a few inches away.  Crowd went nuts, I won a big Wolf bet...best non-eagle approach to a par 4 I've ever hit considering the circumstances.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 05:48:47 PM »
George,
I can't remember.  :'(
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tim Pitner

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 05:58:34 PM »
A majestic 5 iron that pierced a relentless wind and came to rest hole high on Bandon Dunes No. 5.  Or, at least, that's how I remember it after I made the birdie putt.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 06:00:04 PM »
Kevin - that is fan-freakin-tastic.  PLEASE tell me you gave the proper wave to the crowd....

Which reminds me, I've seen a lot of great shots, but this one may be the best from one of my other best college buds, and this guy has a memorable ace and asterisk-filled double eagle to his credit (downhill 465 yard at altitude in CO "par five").

The Scene:
The Old Course, 17th hole.  Right side of fairway, underneath The Old Course Hotel, raucuous party going on spilling out onto the balcony 3 floors up.

The shot
After one of the partiers notices my friend about to hit, he does the classic hands up, quiet please pose and the party silences... My friend steels himself and laces a 3wood onto the green.  The party erupts.  My friend very classily tips his hat, hands club to caddie, marches on.

Great shot.

Of course it's not as completely skillful as the single greatest shot in the history of the game, but then what is?

Oh, you're wondering what I refer to there?

Shame on all of you.

Bill McBride's ace during last year's KP-IV.  A more perfect golf shot simply cannot be accomplished than his carved driver around a lake perfectly playing the break and dying in the hole.  There was one way and one way only he was gonna get that close, and that was it.

TH

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 06:02:30 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 06:14:29 PM »
I've never had an ace, but there've been several approaches that have been candidates for me, due mostly to my memory: I tend to remember nearly every shot I've ever hit and forget the important stuff (at least in the eyes of non-golfers).

Anyway, one of my favorites would be from the 15th hole at the Heritage course of Marquette Golf Club.  It's a picturesque par four with a highly elevated tee and a generous fairway that shrinks as you reach the far end of the landing zone.  A small forest of giant, mature maples sits just short left of the green atop a large rocky outcropping - in fact the trees somewhat hang over the left edge of the green.

I pulled my tee shot about 60 yards to the left, leaving myself about 90 yards to the hole if I took a direct route, which would also require me to hit an immediate skyball if I had any chance of clearing the first part of the trees - let alone the last section guarding the green.  The pin was in the front left, and from my position I could not see the green or anything even around it.  Since it was just a casual round, I put everything into a sand wedge with the ball way up front in my stance.  My aunt was watching from the fairway, as were two old-timer regulars in their cart on the 17th (I wasn't far from their green).  It cleared the trees, and after listening for some rattling on the way down, I heard none - only the exclamations of my aunt that it had made it to the green, and a moment later that it had gone in.

The old guys couldn't hear her, but later they asked me in a sarcastic tone if I made par on 15.  "Nope," I said.  "But I did make a 2."

One of my favorite shots I've witnessed from someone else occurred on the 14th of The Heritage, when I was joined by a fellow employee who was still on the clock but bored and asked a bag room employee to cover for him.  When we got to the par three, he knocked in a wedge for his only ace, but of course couldn't report it to the pro (our boss) out of fear of losing his job for playing when he was supposed to be working.

My real favorites, however, and what George may or may not be getting at, have been non-hole-outs where I've used creativity to bump and run shots from 50+ yards over mounds and through troughs to get to tough pin locations.  Those ones are always a blast and leave me smiling ear to ear.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 06:29:38 PM »
Some thirty years ago, a 17 year old...golfing with my dad as a twosome...beautiful early summer evening, light breeze...playing twilight rates...11th hole at a local muni...par 5, 505 yards, slightly uphill to the green, my drive had stopped just on the right edge of the fairway...staring into the sun just above the western horizon, dad said he'd stand right behind me and keep his eye on the ball for me, reminded me to keep my head down and concentrate on the shot at hand, ya da ya da ya da ['course he was right]...absolutely flushed a 3-wood, at the pin all the way, ended up about 5 or 6 feet just short of the cup.

Of course I missed the putt  :-\

JJ

Scott Coan

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 06:45:05 PM »
Final day of my Club championship (3-day, 54 hole medal) .  Top 12 make the final day.  Me and another are the 13th and 14th players as we make it in on the 10-shot rule.

Just to make it interesting, Hurricane Edouard has taken a northerly turn and southeastern Mass. is right in the path.  Players gather at clubhouse and a couple bail on the day.  Conditions are beyond atrocious.  Sustained 50 mph wind and rain.  Me and the 14th guy are just happy to have made the cut so when we get the go-ahead we happily tee it up into the gale.  We are hitting full 3 and 4 irons from the 150 yard markers…

Needless to say I play the very best round of golf of my life and at the par 4 17th green I am lying greenside and absolutely stymied behind a small pine tree.  I have to play it backwards to the fairway and then hope for and an up-and-down for a double.  Even this is not easy as I have to negotiate it over a couple of heavy rough-covered humps just to get it back out to the fairway.  Unless, as my caddie suggests, I try and loft a wedge out over the marsh and into the 50mph gale, relying on the wind to bring it back into play.  The pin at this point is literally bent straight over.  Under any other circumstances the swing that I took would have resulted in the shot going 100 yards straight out-of-bounds.  Instead it drifts out and over the marsh and as it loses it’s forward momentum the wind takes it right back on the green.  An absolute miracle of a shot made all the better as I binned the put for a bogie 5.  I think my hand is still stinging from the repeated high 5's exchanged with my caddie.  

In a perfect world I would have gone on to win that Club championship but, alas, I ended up with a score of 77 on the day (+7) and the leader at the start of day shot 86 to pip me by a shot.  Second place was 1 behind at the start and shot 85 so I missed a playoff by 1 shot.

Little does my son know that he would be named Edouard had I been able to win on that day!

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 06:50:50 PM »
Mine happened last fall. 17th hole at Hickory Hills in Columbus. Duck hooked my tee shot barely into a water hazard left of the fairway. Ball wasn't submerged, and I had a clean path to the back of the ball as long as I hit it left handed. I also had some cattails to contend with on the backswing. I had about 125 to the flag, with a decent sized tree on the direct line. Sooooooooooo, I had to turn over an 8-iron to hit it left handed, ball below my feet in a water hazard, and I had to take the club back on a path to avoid the cattails while getting the ball up quickly enough to clear the tree. Fortunately the flagstick was in an accessible location for a left-handed draw, about 4 steps from the front right of the green.

Came off exactly as planned, landed on the front edge, and ran just past the hole to about 18 feet in the fringe. The guys that I was playing with are still amazed.

And I missed the putt.

Prior to that one, it was on #16 at Pacific Dunes. Straight down wind with the flagstick as close to the front left as possible. And I was in the right rough, about 70 yards. My only play was to land it short left of the green, and use the slope to take the velocity off it and kick it right onto the green. Ended up about 3 feet and kicked it in for 3.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 09:20:41 PM by Doug Sobieski »

Tony Petersen

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 07:06:51 PM »
 ;) Down 5 after nine holes in the match... Pull out the 3-wood on 10 and take the next 5 to get back to even... All even going into the 18th hole... Hit my drive left into the gunch (uphill, dog leg left par-4 / 430 yrds)...

Punch, cut shot from 150 with a 4-iron to keep it under the trees... Green is the shape of Oklahoma... Perfect shot, cutting right (I'm a lefty) as we enter SE Oklahoma, runs up the banking on the east side of the state, runs along the border to the NE, then slowly trickles SW to a top / right pin position... ended up with a tap in for birdie...

HOWEVER, I STILL LOST THE MATCH AS MY OPPONENT DUNKED A WEDGE FROM 140 FOR AN EAGLE !!!! ;)

Where is the justice ?!?!?  ;D ;D ;D
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 08:44:40 PM »
Pitching Wedge from 112 on #18 at Rio Rico to a back left hole location into a 25mph wind.  Hit it to 8 feet to easily two-putt my way past 1st Stage of Q-School.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »
Hitting a good flop shot with a sound swing from a normal fairway lie after about 5 years of chunking and skulling them.

D_Malley

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 09:07:57 PM »
i shoot right on the number in the philly open qualifier at torresdale frankfort, i think it was like a 78 or 79. so i now must go out in a six man playoff for the final spot in the tournament.  all six guys mostly other pros tee off #1, par 4 about 380 with water crossing fairway. i kind of scuff a 3 iron into the right rough on the downslope about 125yrds out. i am hitting first of the six guys and hole out a nine iron for an eagle.  the other five guys now playing for alternate positions make four birdies.  amazing moment walking back to clubhouse, without eeven going to the green to retrieve my ball.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 09:21:28 PM »
I have a tie:

1. a 4 iron from 190 on the 13th hole at Bradshaw Farm here in the ATL for an ace.  I had just said to my buddy that "This feels perfect" as I got set up; two hops and in.

2. a high draw 5 wood over really tall trees to drive a par 4 in the Father-Son tournament at our club.  My son, 10 at the time, thought his dad was very cool at that moment.  He's now 16, and rarely thinks that way of his dad these days, but I always have that shot, right?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 09:42:02 PM »
A tie.

235 yard three wood for double eagle 2 at Riviera's par 5 second hole.

238 yard three wood for a one at MPCC's par three fourth hole.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to brag about this for the umpteenth time.

Bob

Gary Daughters

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 09:44:19 PM »

6-iron into the hole from 165 at Stonebridge in Rome, Ga.
I think it was my third eagle.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Dan Kelly

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 10:47:49 PM »
I can't narrow it down to one.  ;D But, seriously:

I'm thinking of four -- and they have one thing in common: a big wind.

Three were approaches into very high, quartering winds, hit low and "boring" (misnomer of the year). The other was downwind and downhill -- also hit low, on purpose, with about a 100-yard runout.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 11:04:12 PM »
        I hit a five iron from about 210 yards into a par 5 at Spencer Golf and Country Club.  I couldn't see through the trees, so I just picked a target and played over them.  Very little wind, but after I hit the shot, I looked at my partner and said "That may be the most solid shot I've ever hit."  I struck it perfectly." We got up to the green and sure enough, it was in the hole.  Double Eagle 2.
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back