News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Based on the pictures on this web site I've got to go with Garden City..What am I missing..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 10:21:46 AM by John Kavanaugh »

TEPaul

Re:The ugliest great course is...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 09:22:19 AM »
"Based on the pictures on this web site I've got to go with Garden City..What am I missing.. "

John:

Only the same thing you always miss....  ;)

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Are you aware that there's an entire tribe of pygmies in West Africa who all think Heidi Klum is one of the ugliest women they've ever seen? She's just way too tall and way too skinny to be remotely beautiful to them. And they think her ass is ugly because to them it's basically non-existent, but that's obviously because it never had to carry the water it takes to walk clean across the Kallihari Desert.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:28:05 AM by TEPaul »

redanman

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 09:34:19 AM »
Based on the pictures  ..What am I missing..

There's your answer

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 09:55:49 AM »
redanman:

Give me a hint---is the answer in the 'based on the picturess' part, or is it in the 'what am I missing' (oddly without a question mark) part?

;)

....or alternatively, would the answer be in the "pot" part or in the "stirer" part.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:58:28 AM by TEPaul »

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 09:58:41 AM »
    The Old Course, by far.  If you didn't know where you were, you'd think you were on the moon.  If someone built it today, it would get no attention whatsoever.
    By the way, I think Garden City is pretty cool looking.

redanman

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 10:06:34 AM »
And I think TOC is beautiful.

Photos sometimes tell the story, sometimes don't.  Flat courses photograph poorly.  I've photo'd enough to know ....  tough task conveying a flat course by photos.

Maybe Vicky National is ugly with all those scars in the ground  ;).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 10:20:51 AM »
I also think TOC is one of the most beautiful courses in the world.  

I learned one thing yesterday....I you really want to see the beauty in a course..fish it.  If there is a better golf course to fish than Victoria National I would like to hear a nomination..

John_Cullum

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 10:23:51 AM »
Let me join in the heresy. I nominate Prestwick. That big structure by the 7th or 8th hole just makes too lasting an impression.

It's also possible that Prestwick doesn't qualify because of the weaknesses of the inward 9.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 10:24:50 AM »
the best ugliest course Ive seen is Smeyers Southern Dunes.

Pebble's newest house is the ugliest house I've ever seen. On or off a golf course. It looks like a bus station. One can almost hear Bill Cosby's  bus station annoucer bit as they walk by. Philly bus (&*&()garble garble(&)leaving (*(*^*^&^*(garble(&%&%*% track *(&*^(*^garble&&*()*&(.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 10:25:44 AM »
I learned one thing yesterday....I you really want to see the beauty in a course..fish it.  If there is a better golf course to fish than Victoria National I would like to hear a nomination..

Killarney GC, Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland.

John, if you think Victoria is beautiful to fish, well... you need to get to this one.  The full name is in fact Killarney Golf and Fishing Club.  Here's a small taste, one that doesn't come close to doing it justice....

http://www.killarney-golf.com/gallery.html

TH

John Kavanaugh

Re:The ugliest great course is...or..the best fishing course is...
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 10:28:28 AM »
Huck,

There is no fishing in Ireland...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 10:29:21 AM »
Huck,

There is no fishing in Ireland...

There isn't?  Guess it's a silly name for a club then... and that stuff they were doing when I was there was called something else in your world...

;)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 10:49:01 AM »
the best ugliest course Ive seen is Smeyers Southern Dunes.

Pebble's newest house is the ugliest house I've ever seen. On or off a golf course. It looks like a bus station. One can almost hear Bill Cosby's  bus station annoucer bit as they walk by. Philly bus (&*&()garble garble(&)leaving (*(*^*^&^*(garble(&%&%*% track *(&*^(*^garble&&*()*&(.

That's just because of all those shitty little houses that line EVERY STINKIN' HOLE!!!  Other than that the course itself is quite nice to look at...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

John_Cullum

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 10:59:17 AM »
I thought JakaB was a non-fisherman. I love fishing on golfcourses. TPC, Harbourtown are good, but Sea island Seaside is incredible.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 11:04:19 AM »
Has anybody considered Carnoustie for this illustrious award?....not for the fishing but simply on it's merits as lacking in beauty...great golf course, but certainly lacking in the esthetic department.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 11:05:25 AM »
Michael - I'd concur with that re Carnoustie - and the new modern hotel in the background just makes things worse....

TH

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 11:08:02 AM »
Royal Lytham perhaps
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 11:12:46 AM »
Yes Evan, That is a given. I'm not sure if I was making a point about outside influence's limiting impact on GCA, or not? :)
 ;D
 :P

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 11:19:52 AM »
I thought JakaB was a non-fisherman. I love fishing on golfcourses. TPC, Harbourtown are good, but Sea island Seaside is incredible.

I was a non-fisherman until yesterday but now I'm hooked.  I'm going to WalMart in a bit and get me a pole..

How about the great courses in Michigan..I'd think they would have some good fishing.  Hazeltine is kinda ugly..isn't it..

John_Cullum

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 11:21:13 AM »
Ogeechee a/k/a Ford Plantation also has excellent fishing.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 11:26:03 AM »
Sawgrass #17 has lots of water -- any fish?  

redanman

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 11:26:47 AM »
Just for the record, I think National Vicky is very attractive visually, but some trees need to go before this fall when the USGA  Seniors come to visit.

Fishin'?  Don't know nuthin' 'bout fishin' but Ogeechee is a pretty neat little golf course, but two very very different niners.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 11:30:51 AM »
Just for the record, I think National Vicky is very attractive visually, but some trees need to go before this fall when the USGA  Seniors come to visit.

Fishin'?  Don't know nuthin' 'bout fishin' but Ogeechee is a pretty neat little golf course, but two very very different niners.

Redanman,

If you count trees 4" dia and larger Vic has cut down thousands since your last visit...10" or larger I would say a couple of hundred.   I think Tom Meeks hates trees as much as anyone on this board.

redanman

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 11:42:52 AM »
yipee

SPDB

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 11:50:17 AM »
Ireland has some of the best Salmon fishing in the world. I might wander off Waterville to fish in Butler's Pool, because of the fishing and not because of the recent Fazio modifications.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back