News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Fortson

Cypress Point - I'm a changed person
« on: April 04, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »
For my 951st post and finally a "Yabb God" club member I have chosen Cypress Point as my topic to post on.

I played CPC about 6 days ago for the first time.  I never knew if I was going to get a chance to play there as it is so exclusively private I assumed my chances were slim.  However, by chance of luck or fate I was given an opportunity to play there on fairly short notice.  I played in a two-ball with one of my best friends (also a playing pro) and we had one of the greatest golfing days of our lives.

In my mind, no course I have played stacks up to this course from an overall experience.  Some are close but CPC just edges out TOC, NGLA, Shinnecock, Dornoch, etc. for me.  Words cannot describe the beauty, architecture and feel of the course.  My friend looked at me on the 16th tee and said, "This is pretty much what it is all about... isn't it?"  I could only utter a simple "yes".  I think it's all I could verbalize without falling completely short of what I truly felt.

I won't bore you with my shot by shot analysis but let's just say that my buddy shot 68 (he was -5 after the 8th hole) and I shot 72 (I holed a wedge shot on #10 for eagle from 75 yards!).  I birdied 15 and we both parred 16 after hitting 3-woods into a 30mph left-to-right and hurting wind and both hit the green and two-putted.  

I could not think of a place I'd rather play golf everyday (if I could) than CPC.  I am definitely reborn and changed from the experience as a golfer and person.  If you are ever lucky enough to get an opportunity to play CPC do so at all costs.  You'll never regret it.

Jeff F.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:25:46 PM by Jeff_Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Tony Petersen

Re:Cypress Point - I'm a changed person
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 07:32:56 PM »
 ;D I would trade many a round at The Desert Mountain Club for just one invitation to play CPC (*hint, hint, hint) ;)

Seen the photos, heard more than one player wax poetic and would give my left nut to play 54 in one day ;) ;) ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 07:42:27 PM »
You were here and didn't call?.......I feel like the Jewish mother who comes up with, "Oh, how I suffered having you and the sacrifices I made etc."

I have heard similar paeans from a whole buch of GCA'ers and all of it from the heart.

Thanks for posting.

Bob

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 07:48:32 PM »
Jeff:

Fantastic! It's hard to explain to someone that hasn't played there just how amazing it really is. Fortunately you are now faced with that problem!!! What a horrible predicament  ;D

Even if I never have the privilege to play there again, I'll always be able to remember every feeling I had that day. I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

All the best,

Doug  

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 07:49:10 PM »
Bob,

I had to know what you wrote. So I looked up "paeans"

"A song of joyful praise or exultation."

Nice.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 07:59:53 PM »
Jeff, you comment about your rare opportunity to play CPC, and your friend the "playing pro" playing what sounds like his only time there, both shooting very impressive scores for what you describe as pretty windy conditions, causes me to wonder...

I wonder how many of the top -say 2000- players in the country have played there.  It would be interesting to hear comments from a broad section of the elite players who have experienced CPC.  Are they universally in awe?  On one hand, I am thinking that in terms of difficulty, resistance to scoring and challenge, the course isn't rated so high based on difficulty to yield those scores to first timers.  Yet of course the setting and the uniqueness of the entire experience has to be the key factor in the universal praise.  

Obviously, the setting might be for a golfer or non-golfer the ideal spot to spend the rest of ones days enjoying the majesty of the scene.  But, if you can score relatively easily as a top player, would/could it "ever" get a little routine and stale? Anotherwords, as a competive and skilled player, might it start to become too... something or other?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:04:47 PM »
Ditto all of the above.  All of the senses are overwhelmed by the place, and you leave earth for a few hours.  I thought I'd be very nervous and almost giddy while there, and instead the whole ambience put me at a comfortable ease and let me enjoy the entire experience.

And how about that front nine?  All I ever heard about was the back, but that front nine is every bit as magical.

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:07:42 PM »
it really is the Sistine Chapel of golf!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 08:09:03 PM »
"In my mind, no course I have played stacks up to this course from an overall experience.  Some are close but CPC just edges out TOC, NGLA, Shinnecock, Dornoch, etc. for me."

Jeff:

Congratulations on playing there your first time and I love your take on it and your remarks about it.

Guess what, and since I did not see you include PVGC in that remark of yours above, I've got to tell you there's a friend of mine who's one of the more significant members of PVGC who loves that course (PVGC) with all his heart and soul who said to me more than a few times that in his personal opinion, CPC is the #1 golf course on earth.

So there you go! ;)

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 08:14:03 PM »
But, if you can score relatively easily as a top player, would/could it "ever" get a little routine and stale? Anotherwords, as a competive and skilled player, might it start to become too... something or other?

I can't speak for Jeff, but I also was pleasantly surprised by my score there considering I hadn't played in months (76 and hit only 7 greens).  I thought about your question shortly after my trip, and I figured with all of the variety of that place, it could never get old, and I really didn't think about my score at all when I was there.  However, if I were a member, I imagine the thrill would still be there of trying to surpass previous scores, regardless of its relative lack of difficulty compared to tougher tracks.

The course record there is 63, held by Jim Langley and Adam Scott (among a couple of others I think).  The excitement that course generates on that brilliant setting makes the game about as fun as it could ever be.  And the pursuit of ever lower numbers on those tantalizing holes could never end.

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 08:18:34 PM »

but I also was pleasantly surprised by my score there considering I hadn't played in months (76 and hit only 7 greens)

Mr. Sleeman:  I think you owe me a lesson next time I see you!  well done!

and yeah, I don't think I'd get tired of playing there either...

so much coolness there:  the variety of holes, the sand dunes, the masterful bunkers, the barking seals, etc., etc., etc.......................................
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 08:19:47 PM »
Jeff:

Great stort and ditto my feelings after each of the rounds (three in total) I have played there in my lifetime. Althouth I have to say the 18th still provided a downer given what the first 17 holes provide. The phrase by Demaret rings true to me about the best 17-hole course in the world.

Just a quick question -- what were your expectations prior to playing CP and have you had any / many courses where those expectations were exceeded to the level CP provided to you?

One other question -- if you had to name one patrticular aspect that struck as first among all others would it be the overall routing, the distinction between different parts of the course, general atmosphere, or whatever else comes to mind.

Thanks ...

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 09:19:45 PM »
Mr. Huntley,

I didn't expect to have much free time to play fun rounds and ended up having plenty.  I certainly thought of calling you but on such short notice I didn't want to surprise you.  
----------------

RJ,

My buddy has had full exempt status on the Nationwide Tour and is an excellent player.  We were both in awe of the place.  WHen learning about courses as a youngster CPC was certainly on the list of "hope to plays" and the tee shot on #16 one in which you only dream of getting to hit.

With that said we both agreed that the golf ball is TOO good right now.  We were flighting shots that 10 years ago the wind would have hammered on but the wind wasn't touching our ball all day and it was blowing 20mph at minimum.  Our scores were low considering that the wind was up and it rained for 10 holes (including 15-17).  Cypress isn't a HARD course it is a FUN course.  Every shot is fun.  There was a challenge on every shot, especially aasking you to move the ball from one direction to another.  I like that.  I like shaping shots.  CPC amply rewards good shots and makes recovery shots sometimes even MORE fun.  That is what is so cool.  Even after a bad shot you have something to look forward to next.

Cypress Point would never become boring in my mind.
--------------------

Brian,

The front nine is just as awesome as the back IMO.  Good point.
--------------------

Tom,  

I have never played PVGC or ANGC and that's why I didn't mention either.  I'm sure they'll be as good as one can imagine if I ever play them but I find it hard to believe that any course could make me feel the way CPC did.  
--------------------

Matt,

Re: #18.  Look at it like a cigarette after the best sex you ever had.

I had high expectations but I tried to just stay in the present and not think too hard about all the things I had imagined and instead let the course unveil itself slowly.  I would say NGLA and TOC exceeded what I was expecting because I hadn't ever really seen the holes in books or on TV prior to playing them.  I knew about the history of TOC and seen pictures of #1, #17 and #18 but had no idea what it would actualy look and feel like there.  As for NGLA I knew ZERO about it until I played there.  People told me to play it because I like architecture and I got a few opportunities to play there when I was working in the Met Section.  It blew me away.  I had no idea a course like that existed.

One aspect that trumped them all at CPC...

I hate to be trite but the property 15, 16 & 17 sit on is the most amazing piece of earth I have ever seen, let alone play golf on.  If there is proof that there is some sort of higher power/God out there the proof is on the property those three holes sit on.  It is the most amazing location I have ever been.  I was waiting for hobbits and elves to jump out of the trees and ask me where the ring was. ;)

Jeff F.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:29:15 PM by Jeff_Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 09:28:58 PM »
Apparently when Mackenzie wrote Hunter from England to ask him how the course was received on opening, and was told by Hunter that everyone loved it, leading MacKenzie to basically say; "Oh Shit, what did I do wrong?"----MacKenzie's conclusion was that the golf course and the setting was apparently so other-worldly beautiful that no one really noticed the course's strategic components and some seemingly controversial aspects of it (BTW MacKenzie was a believer that "controversy" in golf and architecture was ultimately a good thing).

I don't think MacKenzie's initial suppositon was whistling Dixie because the first time I played CPC (in a pretty serious match mind you) by the time I started approaching #14 that entire setting was so otherworldly beautiful and dramatic I can't even remember much of what happened with the golf or the details of it from then on.  ;)

PS:

Despite all that there is one feeling I will absolutely never forget about that first time---that was when we got to the tee on #18 I thought that hole from the tee looked like the oddest thing I'd ever seen. I think I may even have said:

"What are we supposed to do here--hit the ball right into that grove of trees with the bunkers in it?"  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:31:14 PM by TEPaul »

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 10:21:45 PM »
Jeff -

There has been a bit of moaning and groaning from some of the usual suspects (not here, but elsewhere in the media) about CPC being a prime example of a great, classic course that has been rendered obsolete and defenseless by the modern ball and equipment.

I am curious about how you & your playing partner found the course in that regard.  Were you guys hitting wedge into all the par-4's and mid-irons into the green for your 2nd shot on the par-5's?  

Did you feel your golfing abilities were truly tested and challenged?

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 10:40:15 PM »
Jeff, I had the same experience although not as proficiently as you did!  

Given the distances you and your buddy obviously hit the ball, did you feel the course still offered the challenges in MacKenzie's original design?

I imagine the greens were much faster than ever played in during Dr MacK's day.  Did this protect par from you guys?  Eager to hear your thoughts.

15-17 are pretty darned spectacular, but I also absolutely loved turning the corner of the dune at #8 and seeing the ocean for the first time in a while.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 11:24:38 PM »
Jeff -

There has been a bit of moaning and groaning from some of the usual suspects (not here, but elsewhere in the media) about CPC being a prime example of a great, classic course that has been rendered obsolete and defenseless by the modern ball and equipment.

I am curious about how you & your playing partner found the course in that regard.  Were you guys hitting wedge into all the par-4's and mid-irons into the green for your 2nd shot on the par-5's?  

Did you feel your golfing abilities were truly tested and challenged?

DT

David,

To give you an idea of how it played I'll list what I hit into every green.  Keep in mind it was windy, raining for at least 10 holes, and the ground was fairly wet.

#1- 8-iron
#2- 9-iron
#3- 6-iron
#4- 9-iron
#5- LW
#6- LW
#7- 5-iron
#8- SW
#9- PW
#10- SW (I holed it out!)
#11- 8-iron
#12- PW
#13- SW
#14- 7-iron
#15- 7-iron
#16- 3-wood
#17- 6-iron
#18- 8-iron

I didn't reach any of the par-5's in two.  I had chances on #5 & #6 and missed both greens.  Both I had to hit 5-wood into to try to get home in two.  #2 & #10 were unreachable.  The longest iron I had into a par-4 was a 6-iron and that was beacause #17 was dead into the wind and rain.  So yes, CPC played fairly short.  The modern golf ball lets you take tee shots over hazards that I imagine were meant to be side-saddled, not lept over.  Plus, the most obvious thing about the ball that my friend and I have noticed over the last few years, and really noticed in the conditions at CPC that day, was that the ball cuts through the wind like a knife through soft butter.

Ultimately, I felt my golf skills were challenged.  Was it as hard as Bayonet down the road?  No.  Was it more fun without being too easy?  Absolutley.  CPC is a delightful place to hit fun golf shots.  Some demanding, some generous.  It was a nice change of pace from all the "tough" course set-ups I've been seeing lately.  It made the sport enjoyable instead of taxing.  

Jeff F.

P.S.:  I'm sure CPC has a mean side when the right wind blows in fast and firm conditions.  Get those green speeds up and watch out!
#nowhitebelt

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 11:30:25 PM »
Jeff, I had the same experience although not as proficiently as you did!  

Given the distances you and your buddy obviously hit the ball, did you feel the course still offered the challenges in MacKenzie's original design?

Quite frankly, I don't know.  I feel both yes and no.  I'm sure there are some hazards that MacKenzie wanted to challenge the better golfer that didn't challenge me.  I still think much of the course challenges anyone, good or bad.[/i]

I imagine the greens were much faster than ever played in during Dr MacK's day.  Did this protect par from you guys?  Eager to hear your thoughts.

Nope.  The greens had been punched two weeks prior so they were still a little shaggy and in the process of healing.  It didn't bother me.  The greens were still plenty interesting and my friend and I both felt our scores would have been lower had the greens been fast and true.[/b]

15-17 are pretty darned spectacular, but I also absolutely loved turning the corner of the dune at #8 and seeing the ocean for the first time in a while.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 12:38:29 AM »
Jeff,

It is wonderful to hear you recount the clubs used on your second and third shots, can you imagine the degree of difficulty for old fogies and long handicappers in similar situations?

Years ago Iwould hit a seven iron to number one, now it's a three wood. In the seventies I remember hitting No. 16 thirteen times in a row with a three or four wood, now it's a three rescue club left and wedge on. I know I can play better than this...but I never do. Semper fugit.

I find it a treat to see good players in action, I'm sorry I missed the two of you.

Bob

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 12:40:28 AM »
Jeff, I know how you feel.  I played there ten years ago and have not been back since.  I remember every shot I hit, including a 3 iron run up shot to the green through the woods on 18.
One of the things I have yet to see anywhere else was the caddy carrying two bags on one shoulder.  Do they still do that?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 12:45:56 AM »
But, if you can score relatively easily as a top player, would/could it "ever" get a little routine and stale? Anotherwords, as a competive and skilled player, might it start to become too... something or other?

Brian,

I do believe the course record is held by Gay Brewer with a 62.

Of course none of the the ones mentioned so far were held under tournament conditions.

My first time there was in 1963 with Blackie as my caddie. I shot 69 and have never been under par since. His sons are carrying there still.

Bob  

I can't speak for Jeff, but I also was pleasantly surprised by my score there considering I hadn't played in months (76 and hit only 7 greens).  I thought about your question shortly after my trip, and I figured with all of the variety of that place, it could never get old, and I really didn't think about my score at all when I was there.  However, if I were a member, I imagine the thrill would still be there of trying to surpass previous scores, regardless of its relative lack of difficulty compared to tougher tracks.

The course record there is 63, held by Jim Langley and Adam Scott (among a couple of others I think).  The excitement that course generates on that brilliant setting makes the game about as fun as it could ever be.  And the pursuit of ever lower numbers on those tantalizing holes could never end.

ForkaB

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 12:49:33 AM »
Tempus fideles.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 08:02:22 AM »

Cypress Point is one of the few courses that exceeded the high expectations that I had before playing it.  Simply awesome, a bargain at any price.

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 08:14:34 AM »
Bob Huntley said;

"You were here and didn't call?.......I feel like the Jewish mother who comes up with, "Oh, how I suffered having you and the sacrifices I made etc."

Hey Bob, if you're feeling neglected or something I'd be more than happy to take up all the slack and come out there and spend a couple of months with you like the Royals used to when they traveled.  ;)

Shall I bring all my silver-ware with me or are can you handle that too?

TEPaul

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 08:23:51 AM »
"Tom,  
I have never played PVGC or ANGC and that's why I didn't mention either.  I'm sure they'll be as good as one can imagine if I ever play them but I find it hard to believe that any course could make me feel the way CPC did."

JeffF:

I didn't know that. Obviously I can't help you with ANGC as I've never been there myself but if you're in these parts....

I'd be particularly interested to hear a comparison by you of what it feels like (aura and everything else) between CPC and PVGC. It sure doesn't get much different in about every way and you are a guy who's got the kind of game that's just right for an interesting comparison in that vein and I sure do feel you are also a guy who has no particular agenda with one or the other.

Come on over---we'll call you the "Ideal Comparison Man". Nice to be that kind of guinea-pig, huh?

"Matt,
Re: #18.  Look at it like a cigarette after the best sex you ever had."

Come on now, tell me the truth---did you just think that one up? If so I think you just created a remark that's gonna get famous.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 08:46:05 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back