News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Bob_Huntley

David Kelly
« on: March 31, 2006, 11:49:33 AM »
If anyone has David's CELL-phone number please let me have it.

Our game today has been moved up an hour to avoid the weather and I need to so advise him.

Bob

Kevin_Reilly

Re:David Kelly
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »
This weather has been gawd-awful.  Hope James Bennett packs appropriate rain gear for his visit to "supposed to be sunny" California.  What has it been...24 rainy days in March?  Courses here in the Bay Area are abolutely soaked.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 05:03:21 PM »

For those of you who are convinced we all wear bowler hats in London to keep the rain off, a domestic Hosepipe ban, effective tomorrow, was announced in the middle of March!  (Could be effective in persuading clubs to go firm and fast). :)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 05:18:05 PM »
Hey Lynn - seeing your post here reminded me that I was going to forward to you a post on another golf board... www.4gea.com that had a thread about the greatest college basketball shooters of all time...where JJ Redick would fit in on an all time list.  Here was the post:

Oscar was the best offensive player ever.  Pure shooters, JJ is as good as anyone, more range than most.  Rick Mount, Robin Freeman and  Butch Komives were all pure shooters.  Lynn Schackelford had the highest arcing softest shot.    It's hard to classify Pistol Pete as a pure shooter, I would say he was more of a scorer than pure shooter.

Good luck to the Bruins tomorrow.

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 06:01:21 PM »
Sorry...I can't resist the occasional basketball rant.

Oscar was the best offensive player ever?  Whoever wrote this must be 75-80 years old.  I saw Oscar play near the end of his career, and there was NO way he was a better offensive player than Michael Jordan.  Or Kareem Abdul-Jabaar for that matter.

I played golf last month with Lynn, and believe it or not, one of the few basketball stories he shared was about playing against Rick Mount.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 06:05:17 PM »
Is Lynn related to noted "amphibian" Charles Shackelford?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 08:29:50 PM »
Lyn,

Thanks.

Everything worked out well until the 13th. The two old timers quit on 14. David and Mark Arata went on to play the 15th and 16th. Mark put it on and David was short. They both swear that their umbrellas were inside out and the rain pelted down. They walked in from 17.

All in all a pretty miserable finish to the day.

Bob

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 08:37:42 PM »
What a pity... :'(
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:22:33 PM »
Oscar was the best offensive player ever?  Whoever wrote this must be 75-80 years old.  I saw Oscar play near the end of his career, and there was NO way he was a better offensive player than Michael Jordan.  Or Kareem Abdul-Jabaar for that matter.

The thread was about college basketball only.

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 10:46:09 PM »
Kevin Reilly, Bob Huntley

When does Summer start in San Francisco?  What about spring? ???  According to the weather averages, San Fran gets 8 days of rain in March, for 80mm (thats 3.2 inches).  Well, at least the weather is meant to be better in April - only 5 days of rain for 35mm (1.4 inches).

Murphy's law says it'll rain this week, and that all the greens will be/have just been cored.  Still, the architecture will be fine, as will the company be.  And the sun might shine through.

Its 21 hours and counting before departure.  I'm starting to get excited, or is that just panic setting in. :P

James B
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:47:21 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 03:27:43 AM »
James,

Summer starts in September and ends in October.

Last fall, on a cold, foggy day, a tourist asked me when the good weather came. I said, "September and October." They pointed out that it was, in fact, October 1.

I said, "Well then, I guess it's just September."

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 12:04:56 PM »
Bob, I trust you are referring to CPC.  So the 18th has found its place in golf, "a short uphill walk to the clubhouse from the 17th green."

RE Basketball
Coach Wooden said he has only seen two high school players who were ready to go straight into the NBA, Oscar Robertson and LeBron James.
As good a time as any to share a good Wooden story.
For as long as any can remember, Wooden and Oscar were the guards on the all time Indiana High School team.  On a trip a few years back, one of the high school officials starting quizzing Wooden on his size, stats, etc.  The official stated that Damon Baily (who is revered in Indiana like Hogan is in golf) seemed to be taller and had better stats.  He also implied that from time to time, changes in the team have to be made.  Wooden, who has a quick sense of humor and who could care less about any of this said, "well you guys have a problem on your hands."  And the official said "what's that?"  And Coach Wooden says, "who is going to tell Oscar?"
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Michael Robin

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 08:56:55 PM »
Hey Lynn, thanks for that Wooden gem. Any chance we can get you to give us another one regarding your legendary UCLA Freshman vs NCAA Defending Champion UCLA Varsity game? Your Freshman team was not to be believed!!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 09:20:08 PM »
I was at UCSB in fall 1963 when the UCLA freshman came up to play our freshmen.  They should have played our varsity but would have probably won.  They had a lefty guard, what the devil was his name? who made one jumper after another from the corner, behind the plane of the backboard, knocking down one arching shot after another.

I later remember seeing Lynn make that same shot quite a few times!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 11:14:26 PM »
Congrats Lynn on a great game and win. Athens CC was great today but sadness in Tigerland tonight.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 11:16:25 PM »
David and Mark, I am so sorry the weather gods were not with you.

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 12:46:16 AM »
I'll tell you the best 'pure-shooter' I ever saw from a serious college BB-fan and that was - Chris Jackson of LSU in the early to middle '90's.  He was un-real.

everything about his form was perfect - over 90% from the foul-line also.  had a good career in the NBA for awhile and then he converted to Muslim and changed his name and dissappeared.   ???

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 09:19:04 AM »
I'll tell you the best 'pure-shooter' I ever saw from a serious college BB-fan and that was - Chris Jackson of LSU in the early to middle '90's.  He was un-real.

everything about his form was perfect - over 90% from the foul-line also.  had a good career in the NBA for awhile and then he converted to Muslim and changed his name and dissappeared.   ???

Eric,

As a slight aside...I still wonder how much of his "perfection" tendencies stemmed from his battle with Tourette's Syndrome.  I remember some stories circling back when saying that as a kid he'd stand in the park shooting free-throws and could not leave until he hit a certain numbre in a row...not because of his battle with the basketball or hoop, but a battle with his inner-demons which drove him to levels of perfection and completion caused by this unusual disease.

Can anyone else confirm some of these stories, or is my own mind slipping here?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

redanman

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 09:36:17 AM »
James

The weather won't be worse than my and Martin's  day at Pasatiempo in December.      8)  (didn't need the sunglasses that day)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back