News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Marriott Shadow Ridge (Large Pictures)
« on: March 14, 2006, 01:35:37 PM »
WOW This Photobucket is great.

Here are some large images from Marriott Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert, CA. This course has very interesting bunkering which has an Australian flair to it. Very different from anything else in the Palm Springs area. Good work by Faldo and Co.

Craig Van Egmond

Re:Marriott Shadow Ridge (Large Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:18:02 PM »

Faldo must have been working with Curley/Schmidt again on this one. At least it looks like their work.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:36:02 PM »
Great photos.

Have played Shadow Ridge a half dozen times in the past couple of years and like it more and more.  The fairways are wide but the proper playing angle is a huge advantage.  Several holes have double fairways bisected by bunkers (8 and 11).  The 11th is my favorite hole, even though it's only 350 from the tees I play.  The fairway is 100 yards wide but the best angle for the approach is from the extreme right side of the fairway.  Cross bunker at around 200 yards and big bunker at around 260 in the right center of the fairway.  Loads of options for such a short hole with such a wide fairway.

The greens complexes have roll offs into chipping areas.  Maybe it's because of the limitations of my short game but I hit more Texas wedges there than I usually play.  There are areas around the greens where you can be dead because of severe contours.  Like all resort courses, they seem to have an aversion to center pin positions.

The last couple of pictures here are of 18, which is a good hole but uncharacteristic of the rest of the course because the landing area for the drive is pretty small.  There is plenty of room to drive your ball on the rest of the course.

Evan_Green

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 08:52:07 PM »
Craig

You are right - Schmidt and Curley did work with Nick on this one.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:27:39 PM »
It doesn't look as if they have enough bunkers on this course.  ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »
Evan,
Two things.

You need to learn how to use Irfanview or something and reduce those photos, and also that it's the other way around--Faldo observed and made some site visits while Schmidt & Curley did the work. (Lets give FULL credit where credit is due)

Evan_Green

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 09:46:55 PM »
Evan,
Two things.

You need to learn how to use Irfanview or something and reduce those photos, and also that it's the other way around--Faldo observed and made some site visits while Schmidt & Curley did the work. (Lets give FULL credit where credit is due)

Tommy,
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is " Irfanview"

Fair enough regarding Schmidt and Curley.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 09:50:49 PM »
Evan, Your not ignorant.

Free to download and an excellent program to use. Also no spyware  attached to it either.

http://irfanview.com/

Brian Curley thanks you!

Jin Kim

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 10:20:18 PM »
I like the big pictures!

Evan_Green

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 10:39:10 PM »
Tommy

That Irfanview is pretty complicated. I dont really get it yet.

Why am I so bad at technology ::)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 10:39:31 PM by Evan_Green »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 10:40:58 PM »
Tommy

That Irfanview is pretty complicated. I dont really get it yet.

Why am I so bad at technology ::)

Bad with technology??

Maybe.

Bad with pictures??

Not at all[/color]

I always love seeing the pictures you take, as they are all awesome.  Please do not stop posting these wonderful pictures!!

Thanks Evan!!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 10:46:28 PM »
Evan,
If you have it downloaded, and you have a image open, click "ctrl" and the "R" on you keyboard.

When the sizing window opens up, click on the right side, "800x600"

This size is usually pretty good for GCA's discussion group. Now click "ctrl" and the "S" keys and save the image accordingly. You should be able to post it from Photobucket fom there with no problem.

If you have problems, just IM me and I'll walk you through it further.

Evan_Green

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 10:55:05 PM »
Testing: 800x600

Testing 1024 x 768

Evan_Green

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 10:56:44 PM »
Evan,
If you have it downloaded, and you have a image open, click "ctrl" and the "R" on you keyboard.

When the sizing window opens up, click on the right side, "800x600"

This size is usually pretty good for GCA's discussion group. Now click "ctrl" and the "S" keys and save the image accordingly. You should be able to post it from Photobucket fom there with no problem.

If you have problems, just IM me and I'll walk you through it further.

There is still hope for me Tommy! Thanks

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 11:40:16 PM »
Always hope. Hope is a good thing!

Evan_Green

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 11:53:01 PM »
This Irfanview is a cool tool. The downside to it though seem to be that:

1) It takes more time to get the images onto Photobucket if you have to resize each at a time. This causes a time problem if there are 20 images to resize, etc. rather than just 1 or 2.

2) The images dont seem as good as the original XL images I posted. If you look closely there is a crosshatching in the picture and it isnt quite as clear and brilliant as the original.

Thus my conclusion is I'll probably have to keep the XL size when Im posting a large series of pictures (such as this thread) for time efficiency and maximum picture quality and use the Irfanview when im posting one or a couple of pictures (say in response to someone else's thread) so as not to screw up the viewing of that thread.

Thanks again Tommy for your help.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 11:57:18 PM by Evan_Green »

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 01:29:51 PM »
nice pics, thanks for posting Evan

I wish the fairways weren't so green and it seems like they could also cut down on some of the maintained areas out there too
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 03:07:22 PM »
I have really enjoyed Shadow Ridge on the several ocasions I have played the course.  

My one question is this:  Marriott has built a resort course here, is Shado Ridge too difficult to get resort players around?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 03:38:12 PM »
I haven't played Shadow Ridge but I have played Faldo's course at Wildfire in Phoenix and it seems that he loves these deep and steep faced bunkers.  They do look good but I wonder how much of a maintenance problem they cause and how do you prevent balls from plugging in the face of such a bunker - the player would have an awful time getting to the ball, playing the shot, and then raking the bunker.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 04:40:07 PM »

Jerry,

Wildfire was also a Curley/Schmidt course w/Faldo, so the bunkering is very similiar, at least to my eye.

I liked Wildfire, I thought it had some good stuff and different from the normal desert fare.

Evan_Green

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 04:44:14 PM »
nice pics, thanks for posting Evan

I wish the fairways weren't so green and it seems like they could also cut down on some of the maintained areas out there too

Paul, just an FYI, I played this course in the summer in 100 plus degree heat. They probably were doing extra watering given the heat. However, I would be surprised (but I could be wrong) if the course looked much different in the winter.

Evan_Green

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 04:46:11 PM »
I have really enjoyed Shadow Ridge on the several ocasions I have played the course.  

My one question is this:  Marriott has built a resort course here, is Shado Ridge too difficult to get resort players around?

As I mentioned in the last post, I played the course during the Summer (August). I was rather surprised that the course was filled with back to back tee times - starting on both nines. Unfortunately they couldnt find anyone for me to play with so I was a single behind foursome after foursome.  ::) Pace of play was about 4 1/2 hours, which isn't too bad considering - but still a tough pace when your a single and its 105 degrees outside...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 04:46:52 PM by Evan_Green »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 04:53:03 PM »
Evan,

Interesting.  What day of the week was it?   If it was crowded in high summer heat on a weekday, they must be doing some gang-busting business.

Evan_Green

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 05:02:59 PM »
Scott I played the course on Saturday, August 20. Even though it was a weekend, I wasnt expecting the place to be THAT crowded.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back