News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

6000 Yards of Pure Charm: Glen Ridge Country Club
« on: March 10, 2006, 01:23:12 PM »
I had the wonderful priviledge of touring Glen Ridge Country Club (Glen Ridge, NJ) this past Wednesday with Dean Paolucci and Doug Braunsdorf. Dean had the principle role in overseeing the Ron Forse restoration of the club and he has much to be proud of at Glen Ridge. My own interest in the course stems from my research on the Penn State White Course and some of the similarities were striking.

At first glance (Google Aerial) Glen Ridge seems to be a redundant "up and back" routing in a cramped area. However, as Doug so adroitly put it; the course is a "chess match" of golf architecture. With exception of the all-world 18th, none of the holes are overly ball-busting in length, but the premium placed on the approaches by the newly expanded greens and bunkers make Glen Ridge a challenge for the mind.

Some examples:
The wonderful short 2nd hole, with a "quadrant" green that Willie Park was fond of building. Each hole location has several methods by which an aerial approach can get there, and the rolls and shape of the green allow for some tucked hole locations that are difficult to get to, and I'd imagine that three putts abound on this green.

The restored bunker complex between the 3rd and 5th fairways. The third hole is of particular interest as a short par 5. The green site is tucked behind a former canal and the confluence of angles on the hole combine to give any grade of golfer a chance to "fight for the angle" and get home in two. This bunker complex confounds the golfer attempting to get as far right as possible to attack the hole from an ideal angle.

The ideal fifth green with severe slope from left to right that appears to be front to back from the fairway. Of particular interest is the knuckle on the front right of the green, which helps give the appearance that the green is more front-to-back. This sort of visual deception abounds all over the course, and greens are given the apperance of canting in one direction but really sloping in another. The greens themselves have an elevation difference of 7-8 feet in a lot of cases.

Looking across the fifth green to the second green shows both the nature of the Forse restoration work (changes in green coloration where they were expanded) and the severity of of the green complexes isn bunkering, slope, and internal contour.

Doug and Dean on the 8th green. Not how the restoration of the original green size has reintegrated the edge and anchor mounding with the rest of the green. This gives more flexibility in course set up by allowing a wily greenkeeper to tuck hole locations and challenge different aspects of the game other than length from hole to hole. Also note Doug in a lovely 1985 mafioso motif.

The all-world approach to the 18th green. Nore the principal's nose style bunker that can confound a mis-struck approach shot. This green was completely resodded by Ron Forse and has been expanded to restore much of the contour and hole locations. With a sever teir running through the center, and confounding contour on both sides of the green, this hole serves as an ideal finish to a wonderful gem of a golf course.

I am of the opinion that Glen Ridge is a shining example of a membership and architect can work together to restore the original design features of a golf course that still match the challenges of today's game. Park was able to brilliantly route the course using the dominant features (A ridge running perpendicular to many of the holes is attacked at different subtle angles and from different distances, in some cases, it may be carried full on from the tee, in others certain sides are favored, and in others it confounds the tee shot to add length and a measure of blindness to the hole).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 02:10:46 PM by Kyle Harris »

Tom Huckaby

Re:6000 Yards of Pure Charm: Glen Ridge Country Club
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:25:20 PM »
Kyle - damn proud of you for using Flickr, another fine Yahoo! product.

Course looks VERY cool - jeez you do have a lot of quirky charmers around you my friend.  And of course I meant golf courses.

;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 01:26:59 PM by Tom Huckaby »

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »
 As a Deveraux  Emmett  fan I must say Doug looks magnificent in his black leather jacket and pants.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 01:55:00 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 01:50:29 PM »
Kyle

How will Forse deal with the RTJ "revisions?"

A nice test of golf for a "short" course:

Tees      Par      Yards      Rating       Slope
Blue      71      6030      69.0      130
White      71      5856      68.8      129
Red      72      5700      73.7      132

Glen Ridge Country Club was originally founded in 1892 and has been listed by the USGA as one of the first 100 clubs established in the United States. The course was designed by Willie Park, Jr., with subsequent revisions by Robert Trent Jones in 1949 and again in 1978. The layout has an old-style feel to it, with narrow fairways, fast undulating greens, and several blind shots.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 01:53:50 PM »
Steve,

The RTJ revision was the relocation of the 9th green to add tennis courts.

AW Tillinghast also rerouted a few holes (13 and 14) because the club sold some land and had to reroute for continuity.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 07:49:09 PM »
Kyle,

Glen Ridge is a sporty, member friendly golf course that can take its toll on the complacent golfer.

The interesting and diverse use of a straight line stream on six holes is one of the unique features.  The three par 3's compacted into one segment of the property is another.

The terrain makes the course unusual with the western holes on a fairly steep grade with the eastern holes on rolling, flatter land.

It's fun to play and the work by Dean and Ron has benefited the members and others who play there.

Years ago, when tennis became popular, the club decided to install tennis courts at the expense of the golf course, not unlike Montclair and Metropolis, and as a result, RTJ was brought in to move and modify the 9th green.

The original hole was a terrific, difficult hole, uphill all the way until you went over a blind knoll to a green set down in a dale.

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 07:50:23 PM »
The course looks like a great candidate for a par of 69 and that is not meant to be in any way disparaging.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 10:26:59 PM »
As a Deveraux  Emmett  fan I must say Doug looks magnificent in his black leather jacket and pants.

Master Dark Lord Braunsdorf...may I have another putt, sir?  

« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 10:27:38 PM by Mike Cirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 10:33:49 PM »
While singing "We Are The Champions" a capella at the top of his lungs, Dark Lord Braunsdorf leads another unsuspecting innocent over to the dark, corrupted  side of restoration architecture....

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 10:39:34 PM »
Kyle:

Actually, the 18th green and approach was the work of that little known illegitmate but remarkably brilliant golf architect by the name of Ronald Willie Park Forse Jr.

I think it was at the left side of Glen RIdge's first green that Ronald Willie unloaded one of the most inciteful remarks about golf architecture I've ever heard. He said the key is to always remember to change the rate of change. That left me absolutely stunned by its eruditiousnessisity until I came to realize all he actually said was; "Don't do continuous straight lines because they look like mindless man-made crap."

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 10:46:28 PM »
Tom,

Actually, if you had taped RWPF's comments and played them backwards you would undoubtedly have heard him say, "All hail Dark Lord Braunsdorf, ruler of the unseemly back alleys of restoration architecture" three times.  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 10:49:46 PM »

Lord Braunsdorf: This feels like golf.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 10:54:19 PM »
Kyle:

Actually, the 18th green and approach was the work of that little known illegitmate but remarkably brilliant golf architect by the name of Ronald Willie Park Forse Jr.

I think it was at the left side of Glen RIdge's first green that Ronald Willie unloaded one of the most inciteful remarks about golf architecture I've ever heard. He said the key is to always remember to change the rate of change. That left me absolutely stunned by its eruditiousnessisity until I came to realize all he actually said was; "Don't do continuous straight lines because they look like mindless man-made crap."

Tom, one other thing about that hole is the tree on the left side, and how it confounds the shot from the left side of the fairway, but still allows for the shot maker to use the green and trajectory to get close to the hole.

Situations like that abound on the golf course, which is really a good poster child for tree maintenance and integration with the features of the course.

T_MacWood

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 11:10:32 PM »
What year did Willie Park redesign Glen Ridge and how extensive was his contribution?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 11:13:54 PM »
Tom MacWood,

It was during 1912 that he did the design. The club moved locations twice, so his contribution was a completely original design.

Today's course has some modifications due to the sale of land for housing. For example, today's par 3 11th was once a short par 4.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:29:41 PM by Kyle Harris »

T_MacWood

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 11:43:34 PM »
Kyle
Park was not in the US in 1912...I think he came over in 1916.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2006, 12:01:44 AM »
Thanks Tom,

I was between 1912 and 1918.

1918 would be the date then.

T_MacWood

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2006, 09:36:18 AM »
Kyle
The club moved to its present site in 1912 and to my knowledge the original architect remains a mystery.

I've been trying to find out for years if Park was involved with this course or the old course back in the 1890's - if 1918 is accurate then we know it was the present course. Is it known what precisely he did in 1918?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2006, 09:52:30 AM »
Tom,

Dean Paolucci took us through the development of the club. This first site of the club was about a mile south of the current site. This was the 1890's site.

There was then an intermediate site halfway between the present site and the 1890's site. Both of these first sites were nine holes.

Park designed and built an original 18 hole golf course on the present site. This was in 1918.

The club is in possession of the routings of all three sites. Not sure on the designer of the first two, but they were most likely member laid out.

T_MacWood

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2006, 10:08:59 AM »
Kyle
The NY Times announced in January 1911 that the club would be moving to the new site. The clubhouse - which is an historic building - was built in 1912.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 10:11:53 AM »
Kyle
The NY Times announced in January 1911 that the club would be moving to the new site. The clubhouse - which is an historic building - was built in 1912.

That would be the intermediate site.

T_MacWood

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2006, 10:13:41 AM »
Did they take the clubhouse with them?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2006, 10:14:51 AM »
Did they take the clubhouse with them?

Is it the same one is more my question. Glen Ridge has a lot of historic buildings. I'll call Dean later today. There was two prior courses on two different sites prior to the present site. All were within a mile of each other.

T_MacWood

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 10:24:03 AM »
Yes, on Ridgewood Ave. and the new course was 18 holes on only 79 acres. I suspect the club purchased more land (not much land, it is still a very, very tight property) at some point and hired Park (or someone) to expand the existing course. The mystery remains who originally designed this course.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 10:26:33 AM by Tom MacWood »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 10:25:59 AM »
Kyle:

Glad to see that Ron Forse is involved with updating Glen Ridge but I have to temper your enthusiasm for the course with a few balancing acts.

The course is EXTREMELY CRAMPED and the walk across Broad Street is certainly an adventure -- both after the 1st, 8th, 10th and 17th holes. On the flipe side the fairways do feature a nice "bob & weave" in terms of terrain movement.

The course is also quite narrow in spots and you do face a redundancy of short pitch shots to the greens. On the flip side the greens are nicely contoured in a number of spots. One of the more underrated holes is the devilish 2nd hole. A short pitch must be played with unflinching accuracy. No doubt the par-3 11th also needs to be highlighted because of its qualities.

I do like the uphill par-4 18th but to claim it's "all-world" is a bit of hyperbole on your part. I see it more as good closer.

Too bad the original 9th hole had to be cut-off by the inclusion of the tennis courts.

If you like Glen Ridge then you would positively gush about Morris County in Convent Station. One of the real Seth Raynor gems I have played.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back