News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Mark Brown (Memorial Fund Update)
« on: February 28, 2006, 06:08:41 PM »
It is with great sadness and a very aching heart that I inform you that Monday we lost a good friend and a valued voice on our board with the passing of Mark Brown.

I received the following email from a mutual friend, Reid Nelson, on Tuesday:

Though details are very much incomplete, I do know that Mark was found at his home yesterday by his wife, Cindy.  At this time the cause of death has not been determined officially, but from what I’ve been able to learn, Mark may have died from an overdose of prescription medication.

As you may have known, Mark suffered from depression and had been on medication for years.  Though I don’t pretend to understand this terrible mental illness, I know that it is just that, an illness like any other disease. And just like we cannot choose not to get the flu or a cold, an individual has no control over depression.  But, whereas we can treat and ultimately cure many physical ailments, sadly, there is only treatment but rarely ever a cure for manic depression. For as long as I knew Mark, he fought very hard to battle the demons of depression.  And through it all, he was able to control the illness and put together a very successful career.  I don’t know Mark’s complete résumé off the top of my head, but I know that much of his professional career was driven by his deep love for golf.  It was that passion that caused him to resign his position as a financial analyst for GE to move to Hilton Head Island and start a small publication called Golfers’ Guide some 20 or so years ago.  That led to his founding of Southern Links – now Links Magazine - which debuted with the March-April 1988 issue.  More recently, he had worked as a consultant to several high-profile real estate developments, including Berkeley Hall, Black Diamond Ranch and others, advising them on all aspects of the business – from golf course design and landscaping to member services and communication.  Mark had an incredible “eye” for the game.  He was a devoted student of golf architecture and an overt proponent of classic, strategic design convention.  His expertise in this area led to several consulting jobs with various “name” properties.  A developer in his native Pennsylvania was so impressed with the work Mark had done, he hired him to design the first course at a resort in the Pocono Mountains.  Jack Frost National, Mark’s first original design, is scheduled to open later this year.  

Mark’s thoughts and philosophy regarding golf course design and recent trends within the design business had grabbed the attention of many throughout the golf community.  Within the last few months, his budding design business had been the subject of articles in the Hilton Head Island Packet newspaper, Golfweek Magazine, Travel & Leisure Golf, The Augusta Chronicle and even the New York Times, as well as other publications.  After reading the piece in The NY Times, Jim Furyk was so impressed with Mark’s design philosophy that he contacted Mark just a couple of weeks ago, offering to lend his design assistance and his name to the firm, if Mark thought it would help him and partner Terry Legree attract more potential clients.

It came as a complete shock when I was informed of Mark’s death.  Apparently, the internal struggle with depression became too much for him.  Years of battling a relentless demon ended with his apparent suicide on Monday.

At this time, I have no details about services, memorials or anything.  I just wanted to let you all know that we have lost a good friend.  Please keep Cindy and their three children in your prayers as they face the greatest loss of all – the loss of a devoted husband and father.

My heartfelt prayers go out to Cindy and the Brown children. What a terrible tragedy.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:30:21 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tom Huckaby

Re:Mark Brown
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:11:45 PM »
Michael - thanks for posting this.  Obviously condolences, thoughts, prayers go to his family.

What a tragegy indeed.

Depression is a horrible thing.

TH

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 06:13:46 PM »
Huck - I immediately thought about Mark's quote that you use under your name: "Lighten up, it's only a game." And that was just a few days ago.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 06:15:41 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 06:14:29 PM »
What an awful tragedy.

I was just going through some old magazines last night and came across a snippet on Prestwick 12 golf, Mark's company, and thought I might post a question on it.

Thank you for passing this along, Michael. If you have any further contact info for the family, I would appreciate it if you could share it with us. Definitely let me know if they have any sort of fund for the children.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 06:23:58 PM »
Huck - I immediately thought about Mark's quote that you use under your name: "Lighten up, it's only a game." And that was just a few days ago.

Michael - right on - I quoted that because it encapsulized so much of what I feel about all of the battles in here... most are light, thankfully.. but when it leads to loss of friendships, well... Mark did sum things up so perfectly and concisely I had to make that one of my taglines.

My regret is I failed to contact Mark and tell him I was quoting him.  I figured he might see it, and then I just put it off, forgot...

Tragedies like this just do serve as a great reminder for us all - go hug your wife, your kids, your friends...

Michael - can you send me an address to which I can send condolences, flowers, a note, something... It might seem weird to come from "the internet" like this, but maybe showing the effect Mark had might be of some comfort to the family.  I leave it to you though - just say so if that would be inappropriate.

TH
huckaby@yahoo-inc.com

LATE EDIT - we're thinking the same way, George - didn't see your post when I did this one.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 06:24:42 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 06:29:31 PM »
My sympathies....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 06:35:20 PM »
You can send condolences to:

Cindy Brown
P.O. Box 23645
Hilton Head Island, SC 29925

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 06:39:12 PM »
I heard the news this morning as Mark was a good friend of our Pro and golfed many times at LCC. It came as a shock to many....he will be missed. I'm praying for your family Cindy.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 06:39:47 PM »
You can send condolences to:

Cindy Brown
P.O. Box 23645
Hilton Head Island, SC 29925

Many thanks.  As George said, please do let us know also if any funds have been set up.

TH

Tom Dunne

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 06:59:09 PM »
I was so sorry to hear this terribly sad news this afternoon.

I never met Mark, but just a couple of months ago we chatted on the phone several times as I wrote a news item about Prestwick 12. I was struck by his friendliness, and how modest he was about P12, one of the biggest little ideas to come along in golf in some time. The very core of Prestwick 12 shows his fundamental love of golf...and how much thought Mark had given to making the game we love a little better, a little more accessible to kids, a little more accessible to people who see the state of golf today as too taxing on their time, their wallet or both. His goal with Prestwick 12 was to create new golfers--what a great thing that is. As someone who started playing golf on a rinky dink par-3 course in the shadow of a shopping mall, it would be a thrill someday to see Prestwick 12's nationwide full of golfers young and old.

I had only just begun to know Mark, but I'm truly glad I had the chance to encounter his ideas and love of the game. He will be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Brown family.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 07:36:18 PM »
This is a shame. Mark seemed like a good guy from his postings and clearly his heart was in the right place with the development of the Prestwick12 model. I hope it continues -- it is a fine idea.
My thoughts are with his family.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

redanman

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 08:16:56 PM »
I LOVED sparring with Mark.  A great guy with firm convictions on golf and architecture. Neer met personally but had lots of fun going back and forth on here.  WE have several mutual friends, too.

Those that don't know it should visit his website, he indeed had a VERY impressive resume.  Very involved in the game for a long time and very dedicated guy.

LINK TO MARK BROWN ASSOC.

Bipolar, if that's what he had is really, really tough stuff to deal with.  The family very often gets fooled as to how the loved one is doing and gets absolutely shocked.

Thank you for passing it on, Michael.  You've also  reminded me that I owe Reid a call, too. Amazing how small the world of this board really is.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 08:28:04 PM »
Michael W:

Thank you for sharing the information -- I am deeply saddened on Mark's passing.

I had the opportunity to meet and speak with Mark over the years during various golf-related functions involving media and I always found his knowledge & passion for the game to be front and center.

He will be missed greatly -- my thoughts & prayers to his wife and children.

P.S. I look forward -- even more so -- to the opening of Jack Frost GC later this year.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 08:38:22 PM »
Although I didn't know Mark personally, I followed his career in golf from the early publications of Golfer's Guide and then to Links Magazine and then to his consulting practice. He actually did what many of us here would like to have done had we had the nerve to leave our business or professional careers.

He will be missed here and in the golf world.

My condolences to his family, friends and associates.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 09:25:47 PM »
Michael, my condolences.
Every post of his that I read showed Mark to be a good and decent man. I'm glad for his sake, and for that of his family and friends, that he followed his dreams and was able to work in the field that he loved so much. That he was able to do so in the face of such a painful struggle is a real testament to his heart and courage.
My thoughts...
Peter    

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 10:42:33 PM »
Per your requests...

Memorial contributions may be made to:

Mark William Brown Scholarship Fund
c/o Jeff Cranston
10 Buckingham Plantation
Bluffton SC 29910

Brad Klein

Re:Mark Brown (Memorial Fund Update)
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 11:41:28 PM »
Mark Brown pioneered serious journalism focusing on golf course design and development. He battled a form of bipolarity for decades, was open about it, was attentive in terms of his medication, and was a devoted family man and golf enthusiast of the best sort. He was a fine editor snd photographer and was doing all sorts of interesting things lately. He was a GW rater and a GCA poster. We are all losers in this.

Cindy and the family need our prayers and support.

Doug Wright

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 01:12:10 AM »
Michael, thanks for letting us know.  Here is Mark's last post on GolfClubAtlas.com, just two days ago...

"Tom,

To survive financially most architects have to understand that they're in the entertainment business, or they're just pumping up the developer's ego.

"They're not the fortunate ones, they're not the Senator's son"  If you recognize this you're old.

Then hopefully you get some projects that the developer's not hands on and you can do some things you really want to do. Life is all about making trade-offs. Like Sebonac.

Cheers."

Very sad indeed. Deepest sympathy to his family.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 01:12:53 AM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 01:12:39 AM »
My condolences to his friends and especially his family.  I had just read some posts from him (just a couple of days ago).

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jack_Marr

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 02:34:51 AM »
God bless. May he rest in peace.
John Marr(inan)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 02:59:02 AM »
Just got home, answered email and then saw this.

My thoughts and prayers for Mark and his family. I'll stick this at the top so people can see this.

This is the second guy from GCA to pass-on that I know of, and it's the second guy I regret not getting to meet and share a round of golf with. The other being Dick Cesana.

Chris Pike

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 08:02:40 AM »
Here is the link to the obituary...he will be missed:

Mark Brown
"Golf is a game in which you yell Fore, shoot six and write down five."  -Paul Harvey

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 08:24:31 AM »
Mark and I had emailed privately in recent months as he was very excited to be getting some serious design input on a new course being built in the Pocono mountains.  I believe that construction is supposed to be completed later this year and I'm sure in some sense he'd be very pleased to know that people will continue to enjoy that work for years to come.  

My deepest condolences to his family at the news of his sad passing.  

Life is indeed short and each day is to be savored.

PThomas

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 08:52:35 AM »
my heart goes out to Mark's family and close friends......this is indeed a tragedy

for those GCAer's who pray, pls keep them in your prayers
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 09:43:41 AM »
my heart goes out to Mark's family and close friends......this is indeed a tragedy

for those GCAer's who pray, pls keep them in your prayers

I did not know Mark, but I do know depression.

This monster of an illness took another fine person.

My condolences.

I know that some families take solace in reading threads like this (after some time passes of course). Perhaps someone close to the family can gently suggest this (again, a bit later). Of course every family is different and grieves differently - I just know from a different 'net board that one grieving family was greatly appreciative of a similar thread.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back