News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Gracely

Tee-time spacing when only two groups are playing??
« on: February 27, 2006, 12:12:05 PM »
If you were running a course or a tournament, and there were only two groups on the tee-sheet for the entire day, do you think it's possible that they could be spaced such that they didn't have to wait for each other?  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 04:22:48 PM by Brian Gracely »

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Tee-time spacing when only two groups are playing??
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 12:35:53 PM »
Brian,

Out of the couple of thousand rounds in my life, this happened once at The Bridge. Why don't you send an instant message to Jeff Warne who is the pro. I can personally attest that whatever university Jeff graduated from prepared him well for this task of spacing out two groups for the day.

Now if you would like to talk about the thousands of other rounds that I have played that are more relevant to this board, please do so. Otherwise I suggest you remove that rather large chip on your shoulder and come back in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 12:36:50 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 01:03:17 PM »
If the tournament was being televised and the broadcasters who had paid big bucks for the rights needed the groups to be close together for logistical reasons, then I would put them close together.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

DTaylor18

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 01:19:16 PM »
Brian, it depends on how you define the groups.  For example, if you were the pro at Oakland Hills and people continually jumped the fence and played your course even if they weren't members, such as what you used to do, that may force them to change their approach.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 01:26:33 PM »
Geez, a pro that can accomodate eight players in a day and break 80 on a good day.

What do I do for an encore? ;D

Of course you could always take the easy way out and start one group on the front and one group on the back.
That's my personal favorite as it gives me time to run over to Southampton and get in 18 before they return.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 02:45:17 PM »
Mike,

I doubt that we've played many of the same courses, so I'm not sure there is much we could discuss.

Brian,

You have played Sand Hills, Cypress Point, MPCC, Southern Pines and Tobacco Road, so have I. So what are you talking about?? The first two dominate discussions on this website.

Sorry, I am not buying into the "I'm a regular guy who just plays munis routine." There are great people on and off the site who have hosted you at places that most in this golfing world will never see. I have offered to host you at Mountain Lake and you are more than welcome to play Yale or Wianno with me. Sorry I can't get you out on National at 9:00 AM on a Saturday in July, and nobody is crying for either of us in that respect.

Be part of the solution rather than the problem.

Cheers.

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 03:13:27 PM »
If you were running a course or a tournament, and there were only two groups on the tee-sheet for the entire day, do you think it's possible that they could be spaced such that they didn't have to wait for each other?  

Evidently, you are misinformed.  The two groups did have tee times that were sufficiently spaced.  The first group played there first hole at 7:30 AM and the other group started at 11:40 AM ... ;)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 02:24:07 AM »
Please tell me this is another of the "joke topic titles"...

The relevance to golf course architecture would be exactly what??

redanman

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »
Now THIS is a great topic.

Send one group off #1, one group off #10.  Pace of play problems? just have Dick Cheney show up bird-huntin'.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back