News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

The Tree Thing
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:53:14 AM »
Many times people talk about tree removal[/color].

Are there any courses that would actually benefit from adding trees??

And, are there some courses that do not do tree removal due to houses beyond the trees where the removal would look bad (Sahalee)??
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:11:42 PM by Jordan Wall »

Kyle Harris

Re:the tree thing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »
Jordan,

I don't think I could ever think of any - mainly for agronomic issues. Trees require a lot of care, water and nutrients that could otherwise go to the grass. Also, shade and air circulation are quite valuable to a superintendent.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:04:33 PM »

Are there any courses that would actually benefit from adding trees?? NO

And, are there some courses that do not do tree removal due to houses beyond the trees where the removal would look bad (Sahalee)?? Smeyer's Southern Dunes in haines City Fl. could use a tree removal near the southeast corner of the property. The trees block houses and a view of a lake. But the biggest reason to cut the bastards down, is airflow to the teeing ground which doesn't get enough sunlight, to grow the winter rye. Subsequently leaving the back tees unplayable and closed. What a pity.

Paul Carey

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 03:26:54 PM »
Wow.

To say there are no courses anywhere in this big world that could not benefit from a tree somewhere is absolutely silly.  Does this condemn virtually all modern architects and courses that have added as little as one tree to a piece of property?

C'mon fellas...this tree thing has gotten a bit out of hand.

As for the other question it is quite common for a course to use trees as a buffer from "unsitely" views.  I also thinks that at many places I would rather have trees rather than views of homes, trailer parks, office buildings, etc.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 03:31:19 PM by Paul Carey »

Michael Hayes

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 03:59:25 PM »
After removing 450+ trees, I can actually say that I am ready to plant a few...  3 Flowering Cherry trees to replace the 3 big pines I took out behind the 17th green.  As soon as my chainsaw quits running, I plan on getting those suckers planted. ;D

MH
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 05:33:49 PM »
Another thing, like what Michael said.

Are there any cases of too much tree removal??

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 06:25:35 PM »
I agree with Paul. The tree bashing has gotten way out of control.

Clearly there are some situations where adding trees is beneficial.  How about Shadow Creek, for starters. Second, the occasional adding of trees can create strategy.  A hole where someone would  intentionally not take the architects intended line of play because there is no penalty for doing so would be a good tree planting, like for example, the Hinkle tree.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 06:33:56 PM »
East Lake is planting a bundle. I do not know the number, but I'd have to guess easily in the 100's. In 20 years, those will be tree lines fairways and with those zoysia fairways, no problem with turf coverage...great track!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

mike_malone

Re:The Tree Thing
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 07:50:49 PM »
 Planting trees on the borders of a parkland course makes alot of sense. Also, planting trees to create a dogleg makes sense.
AKA Mayday

Andy Troeger

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 08:08:05 PM »
Wow.

To say there are no courses anywhere in this big world that could not benefit from a tree somewhere is absolutely silly.  Does this condemn virtually all modern architects and courses that have added as little as one tree to a piece of property?

C'mon fellas...this tree thing has gotten a bit out of hand.

As for the other question it is quite common for a course to use trees as a buffer from "unsitely" views.  I also thinks that at many places I would rather have trees rather than views of homes, trailer parks, office buildings, etc.

Paul,
 Very well said. I've never played a course before and after a tree removal program (thankfully in my opinion), but I'd be interested to know if the members at all the courses that have done the removals think its as wonderful as the general view on this site. Just because some courses benefit from tree removal does not mean they all would (or do)!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 08:08:27 PM by Andy Troeger »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 08:18:53 PM »
One thing that I think can sometimes get overlooked when it comes to trees is that sometimes trees can be just as beautiful and good looking to  course as say, massive sand dunes or something.  Trees can really make a course look good, but then again on some courses it can make it look bad.  I think trees arent exactly favored among some courses where a tree or even a few would make a few holes look a ton better.  For instance the tree in the middle of the fairway at Sahalee #18 makes the hole.

There are also courses that are overtreed, from what I have heard maybe PV and Augusta.  While the trees might not make the course bad or anything they might somehow detract from the experience of playing somewhere.  In a case like Augusta, from what I can see on TV, the trees are very beautiful and I could not picture the course without them.  However, if trees detract from the way a course is meant to be played, then they should be removed.

A good example of good tree removal might be at Kitsap Country Club, just ask Michael Hayes ;)

A course that might actually need trees, well, theres gotta be some.  A nice course called Harbour Point about twenty minutes from where I live recently cut down a couple beautiful trees that IMO need to be grown back.  Its cases like this where trees are a good thing.

Scott Cannon

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 08:24:24 PM »
Don't some architects use tree's, say behind a green, for depth perception, or should I say deception?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 09:21:56 PM »
Paul, I understood the original posit was to add to an existing course.

Why anyone would want to design around something less permanent than the golf course, is beyond me.

I miss the old days when tress were considered weak elements of design.

I appreciate the occasional strategic use of trees, but it's a slippery slope that apparantly many (even those with really big jobs at really bigtime resorts) slip down.

Oh yeah, anyone who plants a deciduous tree should not only have themselves shot but the tree too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 09:24:30 PM by Adam Clayman »

John Foley

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 10:36:13 PM »
Can't think that planting a tree is a good thing in any way shape or form. I reallllyy hope Bill V comments also.

One thing I've seen in a few places is the use of the dead tree. Oak Tree in OK has one, The Player course in Mission Hills had one and a small course here in Rochester,Far View has one.

Has anyone else seen one in a design? I'm sure the insurance aspect of a tree which may fall over at anytime is a tough one to argue against.
Integrity in the moment of choice

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 12:04:25 AM »
One of the best holes on Dye's Plum creek in Castle rock, had a dead tree with a noose hanging from it. It didnt look like it would fall, but a very cool addition to a hole that narrowed all the way to the green. The back drop, as I recall, were some trees that grew naturally near a brook/arroyo. Excellent gca.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 09:31:34 AM »
Don't some architects use tree's, say behind a green, for depth perception, or should I say deception?

From what I hear...

...Pinehurst #2, hole 3 maybe??

redanman

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 10:09:04 AM »
I completely support planting trees very densely at the periphery of a golf course at least 100 yards from the nearest golf hole to keep out the riff-raff.

Scott and Jordan (read the archives, young man) adding trees for depth perception is generally a bad idea, especially if the hole plays in any direction except north for agronomic reasons.  Golf is a lot more fun and skillfull (maybe not as fair, big deal) by helping the player with cheap tricks like aiding depth perception.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back