News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Don Graham is posted
« on: February 13, 2006, 10:13:52 AM »
A few courses - probably less than ten -  have opened in the past decade that have virtually escaped criticism and been universally praised. Wild Horse is one of those courses world wide.

The worst thing I have heard about it is that Wild Horse is practically dismissed  8) as being labeled as the best bargain in the United States, which is like labeling Yale as just a great university course or Bethpage as just a great public course. As my two brothers pointed out driving away, instead of costing ~$35 a round, suppose Wild Horse cost $150 - name the courses that cost $150> that are better? The list is short.

As the world leader in number of golf course construction projects, the United States has presented woefully few courses/clubs like Wild Horse that are worth emulating. Somewhere along the line, the message in the U.S. became contorted to be: more money spent = better golf. This sad formula has led to golf stagnating in this country.

Thus, it is especially refreshing to return to a place like Wild Horse where world class golf is enjoyed at a reasonable price. With the wind, firm playing conditions, and Bunker Hill's use of the ground contours, golfers who enjoy the art of making shots invariably fall in love with it. The same joys of the ground game and flighting the ball through the wind as found in the U.K./Australia are present here. For those of us obsessed with comparing the merits of one course to another, I can't help but by-pass comparing Wild Horse to U.S. courses and head overseas. My own hole by hole comparison with the cult favourite Cruden Bay has Wild Horse winning the 18th to finish 1 up.

Don Graham has been the Head Professional since Wild Horse opened in 1999 and has seen the course in all its different moods. Thus, he is in the ideal position to talk about the subtleties of the design and what makes it such a pleasure to play on a continuing basis. Dave Axland's Feature Interview in January 2003 on this site talks about some of the financial aspects re: Wild Horse. Don's Interview dwells more on the playing characteristics and the individual holes.

Read together, hopefully the two Feature Interviews begin to present a picture as to why Wild Horse is worthy of much study. Without doubt, great golf at a great price is an unbeatable combination.

Cheers,

Mike Nuzzo

Re:Feature Interview with Don Graham is posted
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:13:07 AM »
Don & Ran,
Good interview.  Thank you.

If the biggest green is 5,000 sft (wow!), what is the average green size?

On the 15th it looks like a large target for the bomber (from above), what defends the hole from the long hitter?

Please describe your irrigation system - how does it work in the wind?

Is the course ever too firm?

I look forward to my first visit.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:29:28 AM »
Thanks for the nice article, Ran!

More "fuel for the fire" to FINALLY get out there and visit.  My wife and girls are headed to Cleveland for the annual visit to Grandma's house, and I will sadly (well, not soooo sadly) be staying behind for work.  Since they'll be gone for two whole weeks, maybe the timing will be PERFECT for a weekend trek over from Eastern Iowa.

Gotta get "the Mayor" on the horn and try to nail something down for then!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Gary_Mahanay

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:43:15 AM »
Ran,

I could have sworn in the interview that Don said that the property was previously used for grazing cattle.  I just don't know how this can be because Patrick Mucci told me on another thread that Wild Horse was previously a corn field.  Is there any possibility that Mr. Mucci could have gotten this wrong? :o

Gary

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 01:58:31 PM »
In addition, Don and the Wild Horse crew were incredibly accomadating of our crew to squeeze us in on the morning of the Nebraska Amateur semi and finals.

Neil Regan, George Bahto, Tom Paul, Steve, Bob Huntley, Mike Sweeney, Tony Chapman, Huck, Patrick Mucci, Dick Daley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:34:05 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 02:14:07 PM »
Sorry to be off topic, but could someone name the chaps in the photo?  I can guess the tall chap and the Clinton wannabe.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 02:24:50 PM »
Sorry to be off topic, but could someone name the chaps in the photo?  I can guess the tall chap and the Clinton wannabe.

Ciao

Sean

I can give you three of them..."distinguished" gentleman in the middle wearing trousers (Bob Huntley), red shirt (think Yahoo!), grey shirt next to him (the "Mayor", Dick Daley).
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 02:33:04 PM »
Reposted and please ignore Pat Mucci's finger on my shirt!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 02:41:30 PM »
Good god, what a motley crew!

As you can imagine, that little trip was more fun than grown men are allowed to have.

Gotta echo Mike S. - many thanks once again to Don for squeezing us in.

And GREAT interview.

Re WH being somehow diminished by the price reference, well... I can understand that.  It would still be a great course at $150, $250, $350!  But we'd talk about it differently, methinks.  I find no problems with praising great "bangs for the buck."  Good lord do we need MORE of those - so the success stories like this, and Rustic Canyon, surely do need to be praised for such.  Of course the problem might come when course raters somehow downgrade these courses in this light - ie for god knows what reason thinking "the course can't be that great, it only costs $35 to play" - and I guess that might occur to some extent.

But to me that pales in importance to praising a course that achieves greatness at a great price.  I really think the future of golf rests with courses like this...

TH
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:41:42 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 02:48:27 PM »
Speaking of Centerline Bunkers, here is Huck with Tony the local chuckeling above:

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 02:56:48 PM »
AHHHRGGGGGGGGGhH!

I remember that shot well.  It was on the par five #3. A great drive and I thought a very well-hit 2nd left me right behind that bunker, with the 50 yard pitch shot I love so much (add sarcasm).  You see the result of said pitch, as that is shot #4.

GREAT golf hole, for just how this worked out.

TH

Gene Greco

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 03:11:37 PM »

Does Mucci EVER stop causing trouble?  :D

As a child, Patrick must have been punished all the time by Sister Magill for his continual antics in the classroom, in the lunchroom and out on the playground.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 04:57:46 PM »

Mike,

Next time you lose a bet to Mucci, he might make you wear these instead:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 04:58:31 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 06:16:31 PM »
The 12th @ Wild Horse

As we have been zeroing in on Doak scale, is this course not an 8 on the Doak scale? The only people that I have heard lower is those that play it after Sand Hills.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 06:22:09 PM »
Mike, I'd call it an 8 with no hesitation.  I can definitely see travelling there just to play WH and WH alone.  In fact, many do... Dick Daley is a very wise man.

But yes, if one comes off a few days at SH and then plays WH, the latter is bound to suffer in comparison.  But given my all-too-frequently-stated take that SH is the best course on the planet, jeez that should be NO knock on WH!

BTW, it would be an absolute BLAST to play with hickories, from any tee.  SH would only work from the front tees (and from there god what fun it would be).  Ran never did play all the way back, did he?  Can't see how one would make a few of the carries.

TH

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 06:27:44 PM »
Wild Horse will reopen for play on March 1st weather permitting

Memberships still available:  Fees below do not include tax.

Single Membership  $425.00  

Huck,

I don't think my wife is going to go for a Clayman type move for the Sweeney's to Nebraska, but this has to top even some of the Mark Rowlinson's deals as the best in golf!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 06:29:49 PM »
Wild Horse will reopen for play on March 1st weather permitting

Memberships still available:  Fees below do not include tax.

Single Membership  $425.00  

Huck,

I don't think my wife is going to go for a Clayman type move for the Sweeney's to Nebraska, but this has to top even some of the Mark Rowlinson's deals as the best in golf!

Holey moley - you're right - also re coolness factor it's also right up there... hmmm... of course my wife would never go for the Clayman move either, but... $425 is not THAT far outside the "wife won't notice or can't give me crap because she likely spent that on clothes last week" zone... hmmm... it may well be worth it to buy that just to get a bag tag and a newsletter, not to mention convince her I have to go there for the club championship/member/guest!

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 09:46:25 PM »
Where does one fly to from the outside world?

How far from that airport to the golf course?

Where do you stay?

How far to Sand Hills?

I need a travel agent!  8)

John Foley

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 10:13:13 PM »
Why is there no officail write up from Ran on Wildhorse?

Dick's My Home Course piece is great, but I would have hopped Ran would jot his thoughts down.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Jordan Wall

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 10:21:37 PM »
Why is there no official write up from Ran on Wildhorse?

Dick's My Home Course piece is great, but I would have hopped Ran would jot his thoughts down.

Well there would be nothing but Ran's thoughts.  The profile is very good, so there is not really much Ran could add.  Its not that Ran's thoughts would not be good, its just that its pointless to have two course profiles on the same course.

John Foley

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 10:29:48 PM »
John - It would be interesting to see of how many who make the pilgramage to Sand Hills actually go see Wildhorse. I think that anyone who hangs out here in the tree house feels, especially from Dick's comments, that if they don't stop by and see it they are missing something special.

Jordan - What I meant that it hasn't been profiled in the courses by country/ courses by architect section. Read Ran's write up of Sand Hills (& the others he has done) and then tell me that another write up like that would be pointless.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jordan Wall

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 10:37:58 PM »
Jordan - What I meant that it hasn't been profiled in the courses by country/ courses by architect section. Read Ran's write up of Sand Hills (& the others he has done) and then tell me that another write up like that would be pointless.

I have read all the profiles at least once and thoroughly enjoy all of them.  The Sand Hills one is especially good, as the reviews are great as are the pictures of the course.  That being said, I think the same thing about the courses in the My Home Course section.  I do not think that there should be two profiles on Wild Horse.  The course has already been reviewed with pictures, so everything would be the same.

Maybe though it would not be completely pointless due to two different opinions but I dont think two profiles on one course makes sense.

I guess that just leaves the decision to Ran.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 11:23:54 PM »
Neil Regan, George Bahto, Tom Paul, Steve, Bob Huntley, Mike Sweeney, Tony Chapman, Huck, Patrick Mucci, Dick Daley
You mean to tell me that Tom Paul actually plays golf! And here I thought all he would have time for is to post many thousands of lengthy posts on this website.

I have not found any better reason to click on a thread other than the fact that Tom Paul has posted to it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 10:18:58 AM »
Where does one fly to from the outside world?

How far from that airport to the golf course?

Where do you stay?

How far to Sand Hills?

I need a travel agent!  8)

Bill - I am here to serve.  I'm not a travel agent, but I do play one on TV.

One flies into North Platte if he can get a decent fare (which is possible but difficult - it is a very small airport) or into Omaha to the east or Denver to the west for more economical fares.  From North Platte you are right there - perhaps 30 mins to WH, an little more than an hour to SH.  It's a 4-5 hour drive from either Omaha or Denver to either course.  

There are several decent hotels in North Platte, or Gothenburg (the town that WH is actually in).  One typically stays in one of those for WH play.  

Then it's about 90 minutes directly from WH to SH, or an hour from North Platte to SH.  SH has on-site accomodations for members and guests which have been well-chronicled in here.  The term understated perfection comes to mind.

TH

RJ_Daley

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 12:36:50 PM »
I haven't been able to read the threads much this weekend, so I missed this interview w/Don until now.  I also would like to thank Don for having been a very accomodating and helpful pro.  As stated, he squeezed this bunch of hooligans into the tee sheet during their State Am match play and the next day, he got us on for a late evening round after the State pro-am, which was very well attended.

Someone above mentioned (or it is a typo) that 13th green is 5000Sq ft.  I haven't measured it, but would bet almost twice that.  

Besides Don, his faithful sidekick Robert Wayans (spelling?) and of course Superintendent Josh Mahar, have made this course a rare jewel to visit and play.  

If I could find a reason to move there, like a small but steady part time job or a teaching position for my wife, I think we would try it.  I have a great deal for a yearly membership pass at the course I play here in Green Bay, on a pretty good course.  But, If there is a better deal for yearly membership relative to the quality of the course than Wild Horse, I have never heard of it.

One thing however, that one might consider as to why the yearly membership is so reasonable.  As those of you know who play there, carts are a big deal in Nebraska.  They have a very robust cart rental and care business for those residents and members at Wild Horse who pay a yearly rental-storage fee.  And, the heat can get to where a cart is a useful way to play and not get stroked out.  So, while many of us love the place because it is a great walk on a great golf course, we should remember that the ubiquitous huskers in carts helps Don's and board's ability to keep the prices low.  And, the prices at WH are probably in line if not a bit higher than the local economy and golf scene commands.  The locals are the backbone of the course.  And their friendliness is part of the joy of traveling there to experience this unique place.

If they'd ever want to expand the food and beverage service, I'd be willing to put my family restaurant biz experience to use there.  A little more choice on food might be welcome particularly to those coming from far away.  Half the talk you hear from those that go up to the Sand Hills, is about burgers by Tom on Ben's porch.  I am confident that a similar legend for burgers or other unique pub and grub could be folded into the Wild Horse legend with a future clubhouse upgrade in kitchen and pub area.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back