News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jfaspen

Arnold Palmer's Dream 18 (Public)
« on: February 12, 2006, 09:12:33 PM »
Earlier today, I taped a special on the Fine Living channel which features Arnold discussing his "dream 18" made up of public courses which he has designed.

Listed below are the holes/courses which were shown.

1. Kings North, Myrtle Beach, SC Hole # 6 (The Gambler)
2. Bay Creek, Cape Charles, VA Hole # 3 (Prettiest golf hole in the Mid-Atlantic)(So the narrator claims)
3. Tournament Club of Iowa, Polk City, IA Hole # 12
4. The King and the Bear, St. Augustine, FL Hole # 18
5. Teton Pines Country Club, Jackson Hole, WY Hole # 5
6. Aviara Golf Course, Carlsbad, CA Hole # 18
7. La Cantara, ???, TX Hole #4
8. Oasis Golf Club, Mesquite, NV Hole # 6
9. Oasis Golf Club, Mesquite, NV Hole #8 (A great golf hole is determined by an individual based on the first thing he sees on the tee --Ed Seay)
10. SilverRock, Palm Desert, CA Hole # 18
11. Running Y Ranch, Klamath, OR Hole #6
12. Hapuna, HI, Hole #12 (While there is strategy involved, people don't travel to Hawaii to be challenged on the golf course)
13. Turtle Bay Resort, Kahku, HI Hole # 12
14. Reunion, Orlando, FL Hole # 7
15. Eagle Ranch Golf Course, CO Hole # 12
16. Stonewall Resort, Walkersville, WV Hole # 17
17. The Golf Club at NorthHampton, FL Hole # 16 (Classic golf hole, double carry of water, island fairway, compared to Donald Ross)
18. The Bay Hill Club, Orlando, FL Hole # 18

The notes in () are my attempts at paraphrasing.

Palmer Course Design sure likes to use rocks to front greens that border ponds.  Also, only 1 par 3 is included.

This course plays to a Par 77 and over 8200 yards.

Just thought some would be interested.

jf

SPDB

Re:Arnold Palmer's Dream 18 (Public)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:22:25 PM »
I can't believe he wouldn't include a hole from Tralee. Perhaps he's unfamiliar with "his" catalog of courses?

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 10:40:53 PM »
Mind blowing that Musgrove Mill wasn't in there somewhere. I've been told though that he just did the routing that someone else actually designed the holes if you've ever played Musgrove its easy to see that he had nothing to do with it.

Lawrence

Tom Zeni

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 11:02:45 PM »
I've been to Myrtle many times, and while most prime courses will give you a break on price for season, or time of day, Kings North never ever does. You pay full boat all the time.

One of it's key features on the major renovation of King's North was the installlation of Crenshaw bent grass.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 11:06:26 PM »
I'm surprised no holes from River's Edge are included in the list.  Any of the closing stretch of 3 holes along the marsh of the Shalotte River would be worthy of mention.  

William King

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 12:00:36 AM »
I'm surprised no holes from River's Edge are included in the list.  Any of the closing stretch of 3 holes along the marsh of the Shalotte River would be worthy of mention.  

Not a hole from Spencer T. Olin Municipal either (Alton, IL). To my knowledge I've only played 2 Palmer courses (Eagle Watch in Woodstock Ga being the other), but I thought the IL course was very solid. I esp. liked many of the par 4s.

Evan_Green

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 02:02:04 AM »

Mind blowing that Musgrove Mill wasn't in there somewhere. I've been told though that he just did the routing that someone else actually designed the holes if you've ever played Musgrove its easy to see that he had nothing to do with it.

Lawrence

Lawrence

Since Musgrove is private and this is a list only of his public courses, it wouldnt be eligible.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:03:02 AM by Evan_Green »

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 04:08:00 AM »
I can't believe he wouldn't include a hole from Tralee. Perhaps he's unfamiliar with "his" catalog of courses?

Sean

I think Tralee is private.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 09:10:51 AM »

Not a hole from Spencer T. Olin Municipal either (Alton, IL). To my knowledge I've only played 2 Palmer courses (Eagle Watch in Woodstock Ga being the other), but I thought the IL course was very solid. I esp. liked many of the par 4s.

I too have played Spencer T. Olin several times while I lived/worked in St. Louis.  It is a pretty fun course, but overall I'm not a big fan of the Palmer/Seay gang...not sure why, but their courses just don't "do it" for me.

The one exception so far (and I've played 5 of his designs) has been Musgrove Mill which was a killer course...but I'm not sure the extent of Palmer's actual involvement, I think that one of his other senior architects did the design.  Maybe Turboe can add a bit of commentary here...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 09:26:43 AM »
but I'm not sure the extent of Palmer's actual involvement, I think that one of his other senior architects did the design.  Maybe Turboe can add a bit of commentary here...

The associates doing the design work is the standard for ALL courses that they are involved with. That's the way they sell their services. They have a great team of individual architects (Harrison Minchew, Erik Larsen, Vicki Martz, etc.) that don't get a lot of publicity. Rest assured, they don't market PCDC by telling prospective customers that Mr. Palmer is actually doing the heavy lifting on the project.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 09:39:44 AM »
Tralee and The Bluffs on thompson Creek in La are the two best Palmer/Seay course I hav eplayed. None from either. The King is allowed to be a bit forgetful at his age.

mike_malone

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 09:42:21 AM »
 Is Tralee a public course or just a typical Irish member course that allows outside play ?
AKA Mayday

Evan_Green

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 09:55:38 AM »
Another possibility is #5(?) on the Bay Course at Kapalua - the par 3 that plays over the Ocean.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back