News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gene Greco

Block Island, Rhode Island
« on: February 11, 2006, 08:57:01 PM »
   Been meaning to post this for awhile.

Took a trip over this past Labor Day weekend to Block Island by ferry from Montauk.

Received a tour of the island from a local who stated there was a golf course at one time located along the cliff on the southside of the island by the light house.

Very Fisher's Island-like setting with an even more dramatic elevation over-looking almost Caribbean blue waters which I have never seen in these parts.

Evidently, the armed forces took it over and used it as an ideal lookout for German subs. In fact, the final act of war of WWII took place off the waters of Block Island as a rogue German sub commander still continued to fight even after the surrender.

Does anyone know anything about this golf course - architect, year built, etc?
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

ed_getka

Re:Block Island, Rhode Island
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 10:01:20 AM »
Gene,
     Did you stay out on the island during your trip? BI is one place I was thinking of adding to our itinerary for our 25th anniversary trip.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 10:19:34 AM »
Ed,

I have not been out there in years, but it is a great spot for that type of trip. The only thing to remember is most of the hotel/inns are in town away from the ferry and beaches, so you probably need to be up for renting a bike with a backpack for a few days type of trip. There is a passenger ferry from Montauk and Newport, but I think the only car ferry is from New London, CT.

Gene Greco

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 11:20:45 AM »
Ed,

Yes, Spring House, island's oldest hotel. Quintessential white clapboard New England inn with wraparound porch overlooking Old Harbor.

Can't think of a place (Block Island) better suited for a 25th anniversary get away.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 01:17:35 PM »
Happy New Year Mike and Gene. Thanks for the feedback. On what part of the island would I be looking for vestiges of the NLE golf course?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

hick

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 01:31:11 PM »
Gents, My family has been on the island for 200 years, and my grandfather started the conservation movement in 1972 and as of this month fortythree percent of the island is now preserved. We still have 200 acres on the southwest point looking out at long island. Gene i may have given you the tour of the island as not everyone talks about the old Vail golf course.Feel free to email me on where to stay. Here are a few ,the 1661 Inn, The Manisses, the Atlantic Inn, The rose Farm Inn.

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 01:41:31 PM »
Mat,
   Thanks for the info. I'll be in touch as the planning comes along.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 11:20:19 AM »
We still have 200 acres on the southwest point looking out at long island.

Sounds to me like we may have a potential site for the next Fishers Island... ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 11:26:10 AM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Gene Greco

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 01:19:48 PM »
Mat

It was a very knowledable gentleman in a van who was proud of his original collection of wampum who gave us the tour. I believe his wife is a photographer/artist.

You will need to contact me so we can play next summer/fall.

Just send me private email when you want to tee it up.

Gene
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 01:20:07 PM by Gene Greco »

hick

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 03:05:57 PM »
Gene, sounds good. That old boat is history as there will now be a highspeed from Mountauk with two trips a day. Montauk Downs is on my list for this summer.

Mat

Gene Greco

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 03:13:39 PM »
Mat:

Will look forward to not only meeting and playing golf with you but also to warmer days!!!

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 03:26:05 PM »
 The "taxidriver" that gave us a tour was priceless. He told us "bootlegging" was invented on Block Island and had my wife and three daughters caught when he suggested one house had FIVE KITCHENS.-----  Mr. and Mrs. Kitchen and their three children.

The lack of a golf course is probably a good thing. I thought about going to the mainland to play a good R.I course but bagged it based on the travel time back and forth.

We loved the low key nature of the place.
AKA Mayday

SteveC

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 04:53:10 PM »
Ed,

I've been going to BI for 20 years, know it well.

Important question - when is your 25th? Time of year makes huge difference in weather (obviously), accomodations, and restaurants.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 05:00:36 PM by SteveC »

ed_getka

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 07:19:39 PM »
Steve,
  We have a couple of years and we will not necessarily travel at the date of our anniversary to avoid crowds. Plus, we are renewing our vows on top of Sentinel Dome at Yosemite, so we will probably travel early fall since our anniversary is in July. What would you recommend?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back