News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tucker Davis

Best Membership Deals
« on: February 06, 2006, 11:39:39 AM »
What are the best and cheapest private course membership deals at a good golf course?

What are initiation fees and monthly dues?

John Kavanaugh

Re:Best Membership Deals
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 11:51:50 AM »
Tucker,

Why do you ask and what are you looking for in a club..do you want a pool and tennis included.  Are you looking for any certain part of the country..

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 12:00:10 PM »
More importantly, does it have to be in the USA?  You can get into a number of Mackenzie courses in the UK for no joining fee and well under $1,000 annual dues.

Tucker Davis

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 12:06:30 PM »
US,

Just golf, but tennis, and fitness are a bonus

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 12:08:40 PM »
I researched this topic a year or two back.  In my opinion, the best deal for the money is Prairie Dunes in Hutchinson, Kansas.  I'd rather have you contact them than quote initiation and dues.  Nice place; nice town.

For a national member, the Kingsley Club in northern Michigan is very reasonable.  In addition, the course is uncrowded, and immensely enjoyable.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 12:09:22 PM »
Why join a club at all.  Now that you and your wife are GolfClubAtlas legends use that power to access any course you choose.  You might be surprised how many posters on this site would never consider paying dues thanks to their new found powers of access.

Tucker Davis

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 12:09:50 PM »
In memphis if you want to join a club you will be looking at
over $8000 initiave and at least $250 a month for a good private club.  I am just curious as to what are the best deals out there.  When I went to Auburn University I joined the Auburn University Club (Bill Bergin Design) for $250 initiative and $30 a month.  This included tennis and a nice swimming pool.  Not Too Bad!!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 12:13:15 PM »
In memphis if you want to join a club you will be looking at
over $8000 initiave and at least $250 a month for a good private club.  I am just curious as to what are the best deals out there.  When I went to Auburn University I joined the Auburn University Club (Bill Bergin Design) for $250 initiative and $30 a month.  This included tennis and a nice swimming pool.  Not Too Bad!!

Not to threadjack, but how did you like the AU Club course?  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 12:13:33 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 12:15:05 PM »
Not to be a salesman, but since the question was asked, I think it's pretty hard to beat Marquette Golf Club:

Initiation under $1,000

Annual dues under $1,000

36 holes:
Heritage Course features 9 from William Langford (looking at future restoration efforts there, something along the lines of a Lawsonia Links)
The new Greywalls Course from Mike DeVries

Season runs mid-April through early November.

National membership rates are ridiculously low.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »
Brian,

Are those courses semi-private...

Tucker Davis

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 12:20:33 PM »
A.G.,

I actually loved it.  Very hard from the Tiger Tees!  I joined when the course was only 1 year old and the greens were hard as a rock.  You had to think your way around the course because of this.  I liked the design.  The type of course where you come away from it remembering the holes.  Each hole is different.  The hike from the 18th hole up to the clubhouse is brutal.  Actually walking the course is hard, but a stern test of golf.  Great practice facility.  There is a three green practice area!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 12:21:57 PM »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 12:29:49 PM »
Are those courses semi-private...

Yep.

Then..I don't think that counts.  As a matter a fact I am very dissapointed that Prarie Dunes allows unaccompanied play.  If you allow unaccompanied play you are not private.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 12:30:46 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John Kirk

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 12:34:42 PM »
The main reason I didn't join Prairie Dunes was my concern that it would be very crowded all summer long, entertaining both members and many guests.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 12:36:45 PM »
The main reason I didn't join Prairie Dunes was my concern that it would be very crowded all summer long, entertaining both members and many guests.

Damn...I thought I had another course on my pending JK/JK tour..

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 12:41:24 PM »
Then..I don't think that counts.  As a matter a fact I am very dissapointed that Prarie Dunes allows unaccompanied play.  If you allow unaccompanied play you are not private.

Granted, unaccompanied play is permitted, but it's never so crowded that members can't get out.

peter_p

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 12:47:38 PM »
Under that reasoning most courses in the UK are semi-private, including Muirfield.

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 12:49:46 PM »
The JK/JK already has a desirable and full schedule.  There's a tour stop in that vicinity already.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 12:51:17 PM »
A.G.,

I actually loved it.  Very hard from the Tiger Tees!  I joined when the course was only 1 year old and the greens were hard as a rock.  You had to think your way around the course because of this.  I liked the design.  The type of course where you come away from it remembering the holes.  Each hole is different.  The hike from the 18th hole up to the clubhouse is brutal.  Actually walking the course is hard, but a stern test of golf.  Great practice facility.  There is a three green practice area!

VERY glad to hear that; Bill Bergin is a friend of mine, and I've gotten to play the course with him twice.  Loved it, but was probably predisposed to do so.  I've also enjoyed his other designs that I've played, but he hasn't ever gotten any buzz here.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 01:01:32 PM »
Under that reasoning most courses in the UK are semi-private, including Muirfield.

How can the members of the UK clubs stand being on the same course with the American golfer...Do our fees really keep the dues down that much.

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 01:14:24 PM »
John Kavanaugh -

There answer to your question is  - YES!!!!

Figure that the "name" golf courses in GB&I accept 10,000 to 15,000 of guest rounds a year at $120 per round. That is $1.2mil to $1.5 in incremental revenue generated and does not include the addtional revenue from pro shop sales and food & beverage.

If guest revenue was eliminated on 10,000 rounds, a club with 800 members would have to assess each member additonal dues of $1,500 per year to replace that shortfall in revenue.  $1,500 is TRIPLE what many clubs in GB&I in charge as annual dues.

DT  

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 01:21:27 PM »
If you allow unaccompanied play you are not private.

John,

Are you saying that Shinnecock, National and Cypress Point are not private?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 01:28:05 PM »
Best deal is Royal Dornock
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

ForkaB

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 01:39:13 PM »
Isn't Dornock somewhere in Oklahoma?

john_stiles

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 01:44:07 PM »

Royal Dornick is in Ard more or less.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back