News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Power Lines as a design element!
« on: December 30, 2005, 03:08:57 PM »
While I was playing a ho-hum round of golf this morning on a less than ho-hum course with power lines running across two fairways, I started trying to compile a list of courses I've played with power lines that are either in play or at least running through the course property.

I came up with 4 off the top of my head, and I think my favorite it Wintonbury Hills.  They did a nice job of keeping the lines out of play and also routing the course in a manner where the power lines don't stick out like a sore thumb even though they are cutting right through the property.

So here's my question to the group - what is the best course (or your personal favorite) designed on land with power lines?

Brian Noser

Re:Power Lines as a design element!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 03:16:18 PM »
Tim I can think of a few that have them. My favorite was where they had the Missouri mid Am,  at Rivercut in Springfield MO this year, and it had power lines on the course but they did a good job of keeping them out of play on the course. However the range you could hit them. Made a cool sound when struck. Also here in Mo there is a course on ski slopes that the lifts are in play on 4 holes.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 03:18:23 PM »
I seem to remember seeing it on a PGA Tour course.  I wanna say it's one of the courses in the Canadian Open rotation, but I'm not completely sure.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 03:22:28 PM »
I recall power lines being in play during the World Match Play Tourney at La Costa.  I think they are in play on what is normally the 2nd hole...a reachable par 5.  Last year, they reversed the nines for the tourney.

I didn't answer the thread's question...did I? ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:30:20 PM by JSlonis »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 03:42:03 PM »
Dick Kirkpatrick's new Copetown Woods course, near Hamilton, Ontario has power lines running through it. I've only seen Copetown recently, under snow cover but look forward to getting back there for a game in the new year.

Hopefully Dick will jump in here to discuss the challenges those power lines presented during the routing phase of the development.
jeffmingay.com

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 04:19:40 PM »
Tim,

There is a very municipal and rudimentary golf course in my home town called Towers golf course. It actually plays out and back along the right of way between two sets of power lines. I thought power lines were found to be carcinogenic?

Riverside CC in New Brunswick has power lines that intersect the line of play in front of the 4th tee. During one round in our national junior championship, my partner hit the lines with his drive. The local rule allowed him to play another tee shot.

TK

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 04:31:32 PM »
Shuttle Meadow, an old Willie Park Jr. design in Kensington, Ct., has the same powerlines crossing the fairways on the par-5 3rd and 8th holes and they are in both cases easily in play.

Low-key powerlines are also in play on the 10th at Inwood, a 110-yard par-3.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 04:33:20 PM »
Tim,

Sounds like you must play your golf in an architectural wasteland.

Tim Bert

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 04:37:28 PM »
Hi Dale,

The 4 courses I mentioned are in three different cities around the country.  Just a miniscule percentage of the courses I've played.  The power lines today just made me think of this topic.

The course I played today did seem to be a bit of an architectural wasteland.  It was the first course I've played in a new city for me - Nashville - which I've heard described in unfavorable terms as a golf town.  I'm not going to judge the entire area based on my first experience.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 04:39:59 PM »
Tim,

There is a particularly offensive set up High Power Lines that rips across Pennsylvania and New Jersey that can be seen/played under on the following courses:

Meadowlands, Blue Bell Country Club, Horsham Valley Golf Course, Fairways Golf Club, Bucks County Country Club, Lookaway Golf Club, The Ridge at Back Brook, and Stanton Ridge Country Club.

The latter two being in New Jersey. I think the power lines also make an appearance at Mainland Golf Course in Montco, PA.

peter_p

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 04:47:47 PM »
Rock Creek near Portland OR has power lines alongside the ninth hole. Both towers and lines are in play.

The TPC at Snoqualmie Pass has powerlines after the 1st green and may be one of the better tracks. Contrary to Rock Creek, you get definite vibes from the power here. Real high voltage.

john_stiles

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 05:05:16 PM »
Power lines were not a design element when built but played
CC of Morristown (Langford) and CC of Asheville (Ross).  

They now have power lines in play.

Have played many others long forgotten and you always have to read the local rule on the card.  Recollection is that local rules vary and some 'require' re-play without penalty and some do not allow any replay, it is 'rub-of-power-lines.'  

A local favorite sandwich shop is below high voltage transmission lines. Some days the lines really have quite a loud crackingly sound.  Other days it is just a loud hum.

BCrosby

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 05:12:29 PM »
Power lines are in play on a couple of holes at Crooked Creek in Atlanta.

Of all the man-made objects that exist in, on or around a golf course, they have to be the worst.

Bob

grandwazo

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 05:33:18 PM »
old marsh, pete dye in jupiter, although it is a little bit disconcerting to hear the electricity crackle through the lines in the middle of 300 acres of pure marshland starting on about the 11th hole, this is one of the most beautiful, places you will ever play golf.  my understanding is that they didn't do enough due diligence when planning the course, and the power company came in after the fact and ran the lines exactly at the point on the golf course you are deepest in the marsh and away from civilization the most....always in unbelievable condition, a great caddie program and staff.  

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 05:54:14 PM »
There is a leading candidate here in the Pacific NW...

Desert Canyon in Orondo, WA is a pretty good high-desert type track with some power lines prominently featured on a few holes.  While it would take a bid pull/slice to hit them, you can literally feel the buzz from the lines well in advance of getting to them.  They are part of the system that carries power up from the Columbia River.  If you are the paranoid type, you would swear that these power lines are super-charged and capable of great harm!!

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 06:17:12 PM »
Just north of Portland Oregon is Wildwood, a short but fun family owned course...the short par 4 ninth hole has power lines running the length of the hole in play on both your drive and wedge to the green...local rule is that you MUST replay if you hit the lines...

In Hood River, Indian Creek has lines running between the 11th and returning 12th fairways...they only come into play when you use the 12th fairway as an alternate route for #11 to steer clear of the left side out-o-bounds housing.

As far as an element of fine GCA, I would have to say that the power lines and transmission poles are way over-rated.

A sad note: I hear that the Cooling Tower for the decommissioned Trojan Nuclear Power Plant is to be demolished...the sight of it from the 13th green at Three Rivers Golf Course in Longview Washington has always been an inspiration for a powerful drive on the next tee. :D

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2005, 06:27:10 PM »
There is a course in Sydney where the power lines run through the course & across a short par 4 where a lay up is encouraged. I’ve seen someone play a perfect lay up on this hole only to see it ricochet off a power line & into knee high rough to become lost. Yes, he got to replay the shot with no penalty, but he wasn’t happy about the lost ball.

The great thing about power lines on a golf course is the ambience they give. On the course I mentioned before, if the lines are wet with dew or rain they give an audible buzz that is extremely noticeable. I’ve played there a couple of times & on each occasion the lines were buzzing. All I could think was, “Am I going to need to call Erin Brockovich one day!”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2005, 06:38:06 PM »
Nyeh, B-fields from high tension lines aren't too bad unless you're under them for LONG periods of time.

They did studies with cattle grazing under them in the past.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 07:08:03 PM »
Graham Cooke's new Fox Creek in Dieppe, New Brunswick has power lines running along side one of the holes on the front nine (maybe 6 or 7?)

They run down the right side of the entire hole, sharing one clearing in the forest.

I thought it was a shame; a real eyesore on an otherwise attractive layout.

JohnV

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 07:15:27 PM »
The worst power lines I can recall were in front of the first tee at Fallbrook Country Club just outside San Diego.  The tee is elevated about 15 feet above a road and the tee shot goes over the road to  the fairway.  This puts the power lines slightly above the tee and right in front of it.  When the Futures Tour played there in 2000, we had a player hit three straight tee shots that hit the wires.  Talk about controlling your trajectory.

My old home course of Rock Creek Country Club in Portland Oregon had a huge high-tension tower at the end of the drive zone for the 9th hole in the right rough.  The lines ran the entire length of the hole.  If someone hit the tower, you would hear it all over the course.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 07:15:42 PM by John Vander Borght »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 08:40:17 PM »
Firestone (South) is the PGA Tour course that has them, although they're not in play, and they try like hell to keep them off TV.

Eight or ten years ago I was starting to think that EVERY 500 acre site that was left had a power line running through it.  We had a run of them, including Quail Crossing and Riverfront.  It is really hard to design around them, especially with a housing element involved, because usually the development wants to have a golf hole as a buffer between the houses and the power lines.

I hadn't seen a power line on a site again for a long time until Tumble Creek and Rock Creek, which both have them in the distance; trying to route so you never look at them is tricky, because if they aren't right next to the course they aren't on the map and you can't see if you're aimed right at them or not.

None of these are a match for the huge towers which dominate many of the newer courses in Japan, those are unbelievable.  But you'll never see them in the pictures of the courses because they are PhotoShopped right out of there!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2005, 01:46:02 PM »
The course I played today did seem to be a bit of an architectural wasteland.  It was the first course I've played in a new city for me - Nashville - which I've heard described in unfavorable terms as a golf town.  I'm not going to judge the entire area based on my first experience.

But did it not have an island green?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JBergan

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2005, 03:18:24 PM »
Tim,

There is a particularly offensive set up High Power Lines that rips across Pennsylvania and New Jersey that can be seen/played under on the following courses:

Meadowlands, Blue Bell Country Club, Horsham Valley Golf Course, Fairways Golf Club, Bucks County Country Club, Lookaway Golf Club, The Ridge at Back Brook, and Stanton Ridge Country Club.

The latter two being in New Jersey. I think the power lines also make an appearance at Mainland Golf Course in Montco, PA.

Also Rancocas GC in NJ, #7 and #11.  I once was playing in a sixsome (middle of winter, empty course) and 5/6 hit the power lines on #11, a par 3 which was playing about 135, I would never have believed it if I weren't one of the unlucky five.   >:(

Chris Neff

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2005, 03:39:06 PM »
Hyde Park GC in Jacksonville,FL. A great Donald Ross public golf course on the westside of town has what I am assuming is a cell phone tower close to #9 and #10. The tiedown cables come into play. The cables or cell phone tower is always talked about when hyde Park comes up in discussion.

Chris Neff

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2005, 03:49:06 PM »
One of the most amazing displays of ball striking I've seen was from Jody Rosenthal (now Anschutz), playing for Tulsa in a college tournament hosted by the U of Texas twenty years ago.  The ninth hole ran under a high power line and they had the rule that you had to play the shot over if you nicked the wires.

She was in the fairway with a six iron and looked at the power lines like they were in her way, and sure enough, she hit the bottom wire with her shot.

So she dropped a ball, went through her routine, and hit the wire again in the same spot.

So she dropped again, changed to a five iron, and got it under the wires but missed the green a bit wide.  It's the only time I ever saw her get mad at anything.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back