News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Only 2 at Bandon
« on: December 21, 2005, 08:13:06 PM »
Next April I will be heading to Bandon Dunes with my Uncle, Uncle-in-law (uncles bro), and my dad for my sixteenth birthday (we will be going for 2 nights and 2 days).  Though I will most likely play all three courses, my dad will play just two, as he has a very bad back and cannot walk more then one a day (he hasnt walked a course in four or five years, but this is bandon dunes...).  What two Bandon courses do you guys think would be the best to experience, and keep in mind this could quite possibly be the only trip my dad makes to Bandon.  Opinions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks

JW

peter_p

Re:Only 2 at Bandon
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 08:24:02 PM »
First,  hire a caddy for your dad. That will do the most to avoid back strain. I'd pick Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes as the most memorable. Walking and climbing wise - they're all pretty much the same from a hard/easy walk standpoint.
If it's real windy, Bandon Trails is the most sheltered. If you're playing 36 in April I hope you have one of the first times.

Tim Bert

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 09:42:20 PM »
I really like Trails, but if you are going out there and only playing two then I think you've got to play Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes.  All three courses have a ton of great holes, but in my mind it is the holes on the ocean which put it over the top.

Pac Dunes is a no brainer.  I think you'll get some varying opinions on the other two.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 09:49:41 AM »
Wow, this is a tough call.

Pacific Dunes is a no-brainer for sure.  But then again so is Bandon Dunes.  And dammit if I went to all that trouble to get to the middle of nowhere Oregon (sorry Peter!) then I'd damn well want to play Bandon Trails also.

I guess it comes down to this:  in terms of quality design and interesting play, I'd have to give the nod to Trails over Dunes.  But in terms of spectacular ocean-side scenery and links golf feel (sod-wall bunkers, nearer to the sea) the nod goes to Dunes.  

So unless your Dad is a Coore&Crenshaw-phile and/or an architecture nut, then Dunes must be the call.  But if he is either of those things (like most of the nut cases in here) then it would have to be Trails.

And Peter's advice to get a caddie is rock solid - but those are kinda expensive.  Another back-saving device at about 1/12 the cost is the rick-shaw pull cart they have for rent there - yeah they look weird, but man don't knock them till you try them - they work really well and definitely help with the fatigue factor.

TH

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 11:08:59 AM »
Does anyone else think it's great that we have a 16-year old on this board? I do.

One of my all time great golf experiences was being on the wait list at Pebble with a just graduated senior in HS who was getting his "gift" from Dad on a Friday. We were on the list from 6:20 until about 2:00 when he the pro pulls him in and gets him like a 6:10 tee time for Sunday morning. Much to my luck a spot opens at 2:30 and I get on Pebble. That was a fun day.

Jordan I hope you and your dad have a wonderful trip. Some of life's greatest memories are made between a father on his son(s) on a golf course. And, if you have not read the book Final Rounds please do so at your convience.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 11:09:36 AM by Tony_Chapman »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 11:12:04 AM »
I might be 16 but I LOVE GOLF.  I only started playing a year and 3 months ago but during a 21/2 month summer span I played 100 rounds ;D

Anyways I am really looking forward to spending time with my dad, especially at Bandon Dunes.  It will be really special!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 11:20:58 AM »
I too think it's cool we have a 16 yr old here - especially one with the great stories that Jordan has.

To that end, it might be time for me to trot out my "greatest round ever" story again... nah, I've told it too many times.  Just rest assured it involves my Dad and Pebble Beach.

If there's anything better than Parent/Child golf (changing that from Father/Son to allow for all of the Mothers and daughters), then I've yet to see it.

Enjoy Bandon, Jordan - but more importantly enjoy the time with your Dad.  I know it sounds weird, and we're all old fuddy-duddies telling you this, but you're gonna have a lot of great memories someday, but few will likely top these.

TH

ps - seriously, use the rickshaws at Bandon.  You're gonna think they look weird for sure, but man do they work well.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 11:23:27 AM »
You have to play all three. I am Pacific Dunes 1, 2 and 3rd. lol No Pacific is the best and the other 2 are on somewhat equal footing. But play Bandon Dunes second well for no real good reason other than your dad can only play 2 and it was the first course built and the place is named Bandon Dunes.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 11:26:42 AM »
Because I am in good health as is my uncle we will both play all the courses.  I am thiking about going to Sandpines on the drive back to WA so my dad can enjoy a round with a cart.

Oh, Tom, I would love to hear your story.  I have been a member not long so I havent heard it  :)

Michael Hayes

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 11:27:53 AM »
I will jump on board with the call that both ocean-side courses cannot be missed, even though I am fast becoming a CC lover...Trails is AWESOME!!!  Trails is also the hardest walk on the property, you definetly want it to be the first round of the day!!
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Ryan Crago

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 12:09:30 PM »
hey jordan,

i was just there a few weeks back, and i would agree with the previous responses:  Bandon and PD for your dad... and all 3 for you.

you may want to check out Ocean Dunes in Florence in addition (or, as some on this site would say, INSTEAD of) to Sandpines in Florence.  I'd suggest playing there on the way DOWN to Bandon, rather than afterwards - its a great warm-up, but was a bit of let down for us AFTER a great Bandon experience.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 12:18:11 PM »
Ryan-
How does Salishan (lincoln city) compare to sandpines and ocean dunes?  We are driving right through there and thats a pretty nice course, I think.  You are right, a better time to play a non-bandon course would be before and not after.

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 12:57:29 PM »
I believe Mr. Bert is also 16!

Jordan, pls don't make a special trip to Sandpines.....it is truly disappointing, as I frequently post along with others here

there HAS to be a better place you can play!

and Huck is right (ow, that hurts saying that! ;)) - the rickshaws work pretty good

I haven't been there since Trails was built, but the other two are AWESOME!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Michael Hayes

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 01:16:28 PM »
Salishan has done a major remodel and is in pretty good shape in the winter now...If you are driving down the coast and are a little futher north Gearhart GL and Astoria CC are just north of Seaside and great tracks...
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 01:32:01 PM »
Thanks for all these course recomendations, I really need them.  You guys are awesome ;)!  Just thinking I'll play Pacific for sure.  I'm stuck in a spot between dunes and trails though because I think Dunes might be better but dad and I loved Kapalua Plantation so much we really want to play another CC.  Oh, and does anyone know how early I should call to get my tee times?  Thanks again.

JW  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 01:33:28 PM »
Jordan - check your Private Messages for my story.  You asked for it!

And re reservations there, do it NOW.  Last I heard it was fully-booked for all weekends for all of calendar 2006.  Weekdays are likely still doable.

TH

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 01:34:30 PM »
I'd call NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Wright

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 01:36:05 PM »
Jordan,

I'd have your dad take a caddy. The rickshaws are great but most caddies there will be quite helpful the first time round BD and PD and add to the great experience. And the walks are not walks in the park even with rickshaws--there are some hills to climb, especially at PD.

Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

peter_p

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 01:38:44 PM »
Huck,
Using rickshaws on those courses is still bad for the back. They have three categories of caddies depending on what you want them to do and what you want to pay.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 01:38:44 PM »
Jordan,

I'd have your dad take a caddy. The rickshaws are great but most caddies there will be quite helpful the first time round BD and PD and add to the great experience. And the walks are not walks in the park even with rickshaws--there are some hills to climb, especially at PD.

Best,

Doug - concur with that.  My thought was just that caddies there are pretty expensive, and if that's an issue, then the rickshaws surely are better than carrying yourself.  But mainly I meant for young Jordan HIMSELF to use a rickshaw.  I guess 16 yr olds don't have fatigue as an issue... but still....

;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 01:41:05 PM »
Peter - I don't get that, and my back is as bad as that of anyone not named redanman.

The rickshaws saved me bigtime.  No bending over, no weight, no nothing.  When this came up before I recall posts to this effect, and some study saying that... but man in my experience that did NOT ring true.  Carrying killed me, rickshaws saved me.

And you're right re the classes of caddies - it's just tough at times to make the choice - my experience was we were ASSIGNED caddies rather than choosing any.  I'm sure that can happen though.  But even the cheapest caddie is still gonna run you quite a bit more than the $5 rickshaw.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 01:43:30 PM »
I think if my dad is going to take me all the way to Bandon I could surprise him and get him caddies for both rounds.  That would be real cool and he would love it.  Does anyone know a particular caddy at Bandon Dunes that is really good?
You guys are the best.

JW

Ie-  Do you guys know how much money would I have to save for a caddy for two rounds at Bandon?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 01:50:21 PM »
Jordan:

Here's the deal re caddies, from their website:

Caddie Fees
Single Bag $50
Double Bag $100

Gratuity Guide
Senior Caddie $25+ per bag
‘A’ Caddie $10+ per bag
Apprentice player discretion

And you're a darn good son to do this.  Let me know if things don't work out with your Dad - adoption sounds good to me.

;D

TH

ps - there is one HOT young blonde female caddie there - hopefully others will know her name - you might rise to hero-Son if you get her.   ;)

PThomas

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 01:57:07 PM »
Huck - the hot caddie:  what an original excuse for a bad score!  I'm running out of them and I need new ones!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 02:03:34 PM »
Huck - the hot caddie:  what an original excuse for a bad score!  I'm running out of them and I need new ones!

Sadly, she was never in any of my groups when I was there in June.  But I did see her from afar.  Of course I used that as the excuse for the next horrid shot.

;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back