News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

What would you serve?
« on: December 08, 2005, 08:10:46 AM »
In my mind I combined the Augusta thread (nice leg pull, Turboe) and the Food for thought thread and began to wonder...if I won the Masters what would I serve for dinner?

My first thought were cheesesteaks and hoagies from Jim's Steaks made fresh on site with Black Cherry Wishniak soda, Tastykakes and soft pretzels.  But maybe something a bit more upscale, although that simple menu is pretty hard to beat.

What would you guys serve?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 08:14:00 AM by Wayne Morrison »

cary lichtenstein

Re:What would you serve?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 08:13:16 AM »
Corned Beef on Rye with french fries

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 08:16:32 AM »
Cary,

What, no potato salad or knishes?

Sacha,

I guess I would've known if I had them before.  I think I just might if there's one near Aviara Four Seasons.  Whatever it was, hmmmm good!  Come on, Sacha.  If you won the Masters we'd expect you to fly out a burger crew to cook them up fresh right there on the premises, right?

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 08:17:10 AM »
Thelma's (ATL restaurant) fried chicken, okra and black-eyed peas. Pecan pie for dessert. Sweet tea.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 08:18:38 AM by BCrosby »

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 08:21:09 AM »
I suppose we'll be going there this summer then, right Bob.  Perfect dinner after touring the aquarium all day  ;)

Mission accomplished yesterday.  I'll call you later this afternoon with details.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 08:30:28 AM »
Barbeque ribs from Fat Matt's Rib Shack (also ATL restaurant), cole slaw, brunswick stew, slices of white bread, sweet tea, cold beer.

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 08:38:04 AM »
Fat Matt's is another good choice.

Wayne, Wayne, Wayne. Where are you from, some fancy Philly neighborhood? Don't you know that in the South, the really good restastaurants are only open for breakfast and lunch? Supper is the family meal, always taken at home.

It's those fancy pants Buckhead types that go out in the evening. But most of them are northern transplants, so we put up with them. Reluctantly. ;)

Bob

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 08:43:31 AM »
I'd probably have the same food as the patrons eat. It would be served in the little green plastic bags. The pimento cheese, BBQ, and egg salad is delicous. Also include some fried chicken from the nearby "Wife Saver" carry out.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 08:45:10 AM by Bill Gayne »

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 08:47:51 AM »
"Wayne, Wayne, Wayne. Where are you from, some fancy Philly neighborhood? Don't you know that in the South, the really good restastaurants are only open for breakfast and lunch? Supper is the family meal, always taken at home."

Tommy is the one from the fancy Philadelphia farm neighborhood.  I live in "butlertown."   Folks from my neighborhood were the upstairs maids and grooms.  'Course a lot of those upstairs maids married into those estate families and got out of butlertown ;)

Well then, I guess the Morrisons will be dining with the Crosbys in the evening.  No self respecting southern gentleman would allow his guests to dine out, right?  What's Betsy fixin'?  

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 09:11:57 AM »
As much as I like the idea of cheesesteaks from Jim's or D'Allesandro's with Tastykakes and Black Cherry Wishniak soda or  Double-Doubles from In-N-Out or even the Corned Beef on Rye, I would serve a more formal meal,the likes of which have never been served at ANGC, as follows:

Appetizers: Gefilte Fish and Chopped Liver
Soup: Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls
Intermezzo: Kishka
Entree: Brisket(not that BBQ stuff from Texas,which is pretty good,I might add, but real brisket cooked with onion soup mix) served with Kasha and Bowties
Dessert: Apple Cake
Apertif: Slivovitz Plum Brandy

This meal would cause quite a stir at ANGC. ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 09:31:16 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 09:16:25 AM »
After regaling the assembled champions with the inside account of my heartstopping playoff victory......

Start with a baby arugula salad topped with shredded bacon and apple slices.  Then a cup of Legal Seafood Clam Chowder, then moving into a choice of entree between Macadamia nut-encrusted Mahi Mahi or Grilled Atlantic Swordfish.  This would be accompanied by french fries from the Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes, VT, and green beans from my grandfather's garden in Massachusetts.

Top it off with a choice of Lemon Merigue Pie with vanilla ice cream or Rasberry Sorbet.

Now if ever win the Masters, I will be ready.....

-Brad

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 09:17:14 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Brian Noser

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 09:16:42 AM »
Well being that I am from St. Louis

Imos Pizza, Toasted Ravioli,Pork steaks, Gooey Butter Cake, and lots of Anheuser Busch Products.

mmmm good Mr. Simper can attest to that.

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 09:23:53 AM »
 deep-dish pizza from Chicago :)!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Philippe Binette

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 09:26:13 AM »
POUTINE....and a Pepsi (Quebec's unique fast food)

More seriously:

Green salad, balsamic sauce

Grilled Salmon over a spinach pasta plate with citrus and oregano sauce

Nice white wine allong with it (I'd give a lot to Tiger... to rule him off for the week...)

Chocolate cake

Johnnie Walker Gold Label

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 09:27:48 AM »
   The entire left side of the menue.

... Earl

Dan King

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 09:47:28 AM »
This year I would do a tribute to the great food of N'Awlins.

I'd start with a nice, rich chicken & andouille gumbo. The main course would be some alligator sausage and a crawfish etoufee with some fried okra and jalapeno cornbread. I'd end the night with some flaming bananas foster.

Dan King
Some of the stuff that stares out of a gumbo should not be allowed out except for Halloween. Ugly makes Cajuns hungry. The Elephant Man wouldn't last ten minutes in Louisiana. These people eat anything that moves. They don't even bother selling Raid in Louisiana except as a seasoning.
 --Steve Epstein

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 10:03:44 AM »
Dan - you would have loved the Yahoo! holiday party last weekend.

;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 12:03:16 PM »
As much as I like the idea of cheesesteaks from Jim's or D'Allesandro's with Tastykakes and Black Cherry Wishniak soda or  Double-Doubles from In-N-Out or even the Corned Beef on Rye, I would serve a more formal meal,the likes of which have never been served at ANGC, as follows:

Appetizers: Gefilte Fish and Chopped Liver
Soup: Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls
Intermezzo: Kishka
Entree: Brisket(not that BBQ stuff from Texas,which is pretty good,I might add, but real brisket cooked with onion soup mix) served with Kasha and Bowties
Dessert: Apple Cake
Apertif: Slivovitz Plum Brandy

This meal would cause quite a stir at ANGC. ;D

L'chaim!

John Kirk

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 12:03:52 PM »
  The entire left side of the menue.

... Earl

"Earl...my man!"

JSlonis

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 12:09:16 PM »
It's getting close to lunch time and my stomach is rumbling.  I would bring my friend and owner of my favorite Italian restaurant located in Voorhees, NJ.

We would serve the following:

Mixed greens salad w/ Extra Virgin Olive Oil/Balsamic dressing.

An appetizer medley of:

Misto Funghi- Mix of sauteed wild mushrooms, a touch of garlic, wine & fresh tomatoes.

Sauteed broccoli rabe w/ Italian sausage, garlic and red pepper.

Fried or Grilled Calamari, w/ Spicy marinara sauce.

A small pasta course(Intermezzo):

Gnocchi served w/ a pesto cream sauce.

Main Entree:

Pan Seared Dover Sole or Branzino, served with either an olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice mix...or...w/ Livornese sauce, which is light tomato sauce w/ black olives, and capers.

OR

Grilled Sirloin Steak, topped w/ Crabmeat, in a Barolo Wine, Porcini Mushroom sauce.

Dessert:

Home-made Tiramisu
Expresso/Cappuccino

Wines:

All from Italy...

2001- Isole e Olena- Chardonnay, Tuscany

1997- Isole e Olena- Cepparello, Sangiovese, Tuscany

2000- Le Strette- Barolo, Piedmont

Dessert wine:

1991 Romeo- Vin Santo

ENJOY!!  Ciao... ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 12:19:17 PM by JSlonis »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 12:17:41 PM »
I'd simply have my agent put it out to bid...If a publicly traded company like Mortons, Burger King or Kellogs won it would be fine by me.   Now if I was in charge of the tournament I would have a guy like me banned for life.   Has there ever been a sniff of a financial motive in any previous meals...Did KFC ever sponser Fuzzy..

rjsimper

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 12:33:52 PM »
Well being that I am from St. Louis

Imos Pizza, Toasted Ravioli,Pork steaks, Gooey Butter Cake, and lots of Anheuser Busch Products.

mmmm good Mr. Simper can attest to that.

St. Louis Pizza...the most unlikely delicacy in the country....

I'd serve fried chicken and coll...oh wait, that's Fuzzy's dinner.

I'd start off with a pre-appeteizer of rolls and the cheese spread from the Pine Crest Inn in P'hurst

Evil Jungle Thai salad from Houston's restaurant (features a marinated chopped filet mignon)

Teriyaki marinated skirt-steak with sticky-rice and two scoops of macaroni salad (hawaiian style)...and a bowl of hot salted edamame.  Spam Musubi available for those lacking an aversion to canned meats ( :raises hand: )

Key-Lime Cheesecake for dessert

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 01:08:38 PM »
Oh yeah baby, I'm hoping Steve, Dan, or Jamie get a green jacket and invite me.  I love the ethnic food.

Jamie Slonis, yours is most familiar to me.  I'd go pretty much the same route, but since I'd be the chef, I'd cut the menu down slightly...to avoid the extra work ::) ;D

First, drink a glass of wine...toast those no longer with us... then

I'd go with a boat load of Cozze mussels sauteed in red wine and heavy garlic-olive oil, sparse tomato, capers, and chopped hot pepper, served with whole loaves of hard crust rustic Casareccio or Pulgliese bread that you rip apart and pass on for sopping up the sautee juices as you gorge on the mussels.  

Drink a glass of your preferred wine...(I don't like whites, so I'll go with Montepulcino Brunello all night)... argue who was the better player by age 30, Tiger or Jack...

Secondo:  My version of Ciopino / piano d'mare, green spinach linguini topped with a san marzano basil and capers and red pepper marinara containing pieces of just about all crustaceons that live on the bottom of the sea, (except lobster-I'm very allergic to those).  Topped with toasted oil-garlic bread crumbs.  The green spinach is the sea weed, the toasted crumbs are the sand, and all the bounty that lives on the floor of the sea.

Drink another glass or two of wine, argue if MacKenzie would have moved more dirt had the D-5 through 9s been invented in his day...

Serve a piece of white fish, grilled or baked, light oil and herb, lemon.

Drink a glass of wine, argue if ANGL should maintain a rough.

L'insalata of arugula, lettuga basilicato and cibole rosso and finocchio, olio/aceto to freshen the palate.

a bowl of assorted fruit, cheese

Another glass of wine... argue if it is the ball or the club specs that need changing.

Make all the guests walk not play the course for two hours and when they come back in, serve them a dish of real spumoni...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 01:09:55 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 01:29:42 PM »
In N Out Burger flown in from California..
Double Doubles for everyone.
Animal Style Fries.

Ali G = Geoff Shackelford?

;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 02:23:12 PM »
Jamie,

Come on, you've got to tell the name of this restaurant.  I just had lunch with Tommy Paul and even still I'm salivating over the menu you just described.  Man that sounds good.  If you ever win the Masters, sneak me out a tidbit or two out the side door, will you?  

By the way, in my cellar I have a case of each of '97 through 2001 Ceparello.  Except I can't find the 1999.  Did I miss that somehow?  Anyway...let's get together for a vertical tasting.  They are one of my all-time favorite producers though I've never had the Chardonnay from Isole e Olena, I gather you like it.  Have you ever had their Cabernet?  Hmmm...good!

RJ,

Is it OK if I come over for dinner sometime?  Sounds awesome.  We'll play Lawsonia links and I'll open the bottles while you do the cooking.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:24:56 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back