News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Favorite house that is in play!
« on: December 06, 2005, 04:25:10 PM »
The Old Course Hotel notwithstanding.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Favorite house that is in play!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »
MacKenzie's house on the 6th, but only when I hit a snap hook.

Susan Lucci's house on the right, off of the tee @ #4 Garden City Golf Club. Tell me who wouldn't want to pelt that be-atch with a Black Max. (my favorite ball of choice)

How about a ricochete back off of the barn at Friar's Head #3?

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 04:34:10 PM »
The Grotto at LACC

JESII

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 04:34:45 PM »
Your second has me on the floor, beautiful!

I guess Stonewall has something long left on 18.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 04:38:00 PM »
Susan Lucci?  now I REALLY gotta get out to GCGC ;)!!!!..is she a golfer too????

back to the topic :(:  The Barn at Five Farms
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 04:38:30 PM »
Dormie House at Cutten Club is Thompson's last residence. It is definately in play from the 16th tee.

Evan_Green

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 04:39:21 PM »
Bruce's Castle at Turnberry #9 (although there isn't much left of it!)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 04:46:19 PM »
The 2nd at Cricket. Not famous but it's there.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 04:46:36 PM »
Another one would be the 10th @ Heritage Palms in Indio, where Art Hills worked with a 150 foot corridor that features the end house--with nary a protective feature--right smack in the driving area. The house gets pelted all the time. Part of the problem was he built this really large waste area that makes everyone block their shots to the right. It's uncanny how many golf balls go over there.

Great work by Art.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 04:47:44 PM »
I don't think you can call it a house, but I have hit the windmill at National a time or two

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 05:03:44 PM »
#7 at Scenic Hills in Pensacola, FL.  Not a famous course by any stretch, but did host the 1965 U.S. Women's Open won by Donna Caponi.  Heaven only knows the politics behind that siting, as the course was only about six years old at the time and is still nothing much.  

#7 is a dogleft left, almost 90 degrees.  The fairway in the landing area slopes sharply right.  

I stood on the tee there Saturday and watched my son pump two 3-woods DIRECTLY OVER the house that is tucked in the corner.  The preferred line is right down the fence line, he was a bit left but both balls were in play.  

That house has been owned by a series of non-golfers over the years who have seemingly had no idea that there is golf being played on those verdant adjacent pastures!

Could be the worst house location anywhere, and I remain surprised that one of the past owners doesn't own the golf course.

Agman

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 06:14:08 PM »
The fourth house back towards the tee from the green left of the fairway on the 10th at Seawane on Long Island. It was the house I grew up in, and it offered a box seat for watching my parents' friends and friends' parents go deliciously ballistic with every flub and foozle as they streamed by. Needing to make sense of any endeavor that could turn the neighborhood authority figures into such screaming idiots, I grabbed some old hickories my father had stowed in the attic, cut a hole in the chain-link fence between our backyard and the fairway, and snuck on after the last group came through in the gloaming of a summer eve. I was 11.

Some 40 years later, I still haven't figured it out.

Still,  a chain-link fence with barbed wire atop it as the boundary line  -- I did a good job of camouflaging the hole I cut -- meant I never had to look far when I needed a golf ball. A few would find their way into the flower beds most every weekend. When I was 15, I finally got caught by one of the assistant pros -- he graciously let me put out on the 11th after quietly ambushing me -- who then took me in to see his boss. The head pro -- and I can't for the life of me come up with his name  -- gave me the option of reform school or caddying. I figured out I wasn't really a candidate for reform school, so I asked why I'd possibly want to schlep golf bags when I could be playing baseball in  the schoolyard down the street. He ticked off an appealing trinity: I could make some cash, he'd give me occasional pointers, and I could play the course free on Monday.

I caddied whenever I could until I went off to college and my parents moved from the community. That was in 1968. I've never seen the course since, but the house is still there, and I trust several generations have followed me through that hole and into golf's wonderland...

js

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 06:19:19 PM »
17th hole at Tanoan CC in Albuquerque, a thouroughly awful course but for this one feature....

A par five, slightly doglegged left on the second shot. A house too close to the corner, with a wall separating it from the course, but not quite high enough to completely screen the ladies sunbathing au natural by the pool.....
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 06:29:52 PM »
The library just off to the right  of the 15th tee at Maidstone.

Any house on North Berwick.

Everything's in play for me
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 07:08:09 PM »
That's an interesting question to think about but Sully you have to admit that the building (historic barn, mens lockerroom, pro shop et al) to the right of the 2nd green at Philly Cricket has got to be the closest building to actual play on a golf hole in the world. The side of that building is literally two feet from the right green side bunker.

I don't know if Susan Lucci is a golfer but her son Andreas Huber sure is. I believe he lost in the quarter-finals of the USGA Junior Championship when at Aronimink a few years ago and he was certainly playing well enough to have a good chance of winning it. I can't remember who he lost to but it had to be Trevor Immelman or the guy who beat Immelaman to win it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:09:29 PM by TEPaul »

Bruce Katona

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 07:09:54 PM »
Ernie Els' on the 15th at Lake Nona.  The offender did not fetch the errant missile from the patio furniture.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:26:02 PM by Bruce Katona »

Sean Walsh

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 07:21:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's in play.  I'll suggest the cottage between the 1st and 2nd at Crail.  

A wonderful photo opp too.  Currently hanging on my wall at home.  

DTaylor18

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 07:24:02 PM »
The Barn that can be carried on the 6th hole tee shot at Five Farms.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 08:34:45 PM »
Three examples from Lightning Bug Golf Course At Solitude (aka "The Bug")

The owner/architect's grandmother was born in this house immediately behind the championship tee at the third hole:

A dead pull on the first tee could easily hit this barn:

It would take a wicked hook at the home hole to hit the old milk barn that now serves as the maintenance facility:

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JESII

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 08:56:11 PM »
So Mike, which is your favorite? ;D

Andy Doyle

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 09:20:17 PM »
Diamondback Golf Club - a Joe Lee design carved out of thick vegetation outside of Orlando.  Exactly 1 house "on" the entire course, on some ranch land adjacent to the 14th hole.  The house is located about 25 yards ahead and about 40 yards to the right of the 14th tee - shielded by trees and not remotely in play, except for some of the guys I play with on an annual spring trip.  The house looks very similar to the ones Bogey just posted - the main feature being the tin roof.

Guy in our group takes a huge cut and skies one off the toe of his driver.  After an eternal hang time, the ball crashes down on the tin roof like a Scud missle.  The house erupts with barefooted kids and one pissed off mom.  After talking with her and calming her down, we find out her family has lived next to the course ever since it had opened (~10 years) and had never been hit.

Andy

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 01:41:24 AM »
I doubt if anyone else will mention this, but every hole on the Coronado CC in El Paso, Texas, (my brother was a pro there in the early 70's) runs between a row of wealthy & ultra wealthy homes, each one owned by a member of the club. From swimming pools to huge plate glass windows directly in site-line on tee shots and not a single tree, at least back then, I have never been so afraid to hit a golf ball as I was back then. So many homes, and ALL can be hit... and damaged!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 01:54:48 AM »
Jeez, photographic proof that there really is a "Hillbilly tour".  Way to go Mike... ;D

TomP, thats it? :o  That's all you got on Lucci? ::) :-\  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 02:02:23 AM »
Someone else might have more details, but I think Alfred Hitchcock's house  was in perfect position for a slice tee shot off one of the holes on the back nine at Bel-Air.  

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 02:03:55 AM »
In SoCal there are countless houses in play.  I cannot think of too many courses built since the 60's that are not part of housing developments.  The setbacks are always too close to the areas of play.  There is one house that has to take the cake--the former Howard Hughes home at the dogleg corner overlooking the 8th green at Wilshire CC.  I cannot remember a high school match that one player failed to hit the house.  I think the car dealer Cal Worthington lived there in the late 70's--so a bad shot had a chance to meet his dog named Spot!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back