News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Chapman

Charleston
« on: December 06, 2005, 10:44:32 AM »
Where should I golf in Charleston? I'm not trying to get on Yeaman's Hall or anything like that. I just want a half way decent public track that won't cost me a month's mortgage payment.

Rob_Waldron

Re:Charleston
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 10:49:39 AM »
I recently played Charleston National. (After playing Yeamans) It offers some unique if not quirky holes. Several holes on the back nine are cut through marshlands requiring several forced carries.

Others of interest include the two Wild Dunes courses, Patriot's Point and RiverTowne.  

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 11:26:09 AM »
Well, it's a very short drive to Kiawah and the Ocean Course. That shouldn't be more than about a fourth of a mortgage, but worth it at some point. :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 11:27:49 AM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:31:20 AM »
Tony,

Had a very enjoyable / reaasonable round at Dunes West, albeit years ago.

As AG points out, if in Charleston there is good golf, then there is The Ocean Course!!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Matt MacIver

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 11:37:03 AM »
I 2nd (3rd) The Ocean Course, if feasible.  My other favorite public courses down there are RiverTowne and Dunes West, which are right across the street from each other.  Charleston National a cut below that, and I've never played Patriot's Point but heard average things about it from my local relatives.  Turtle Point on Kiawah Island, and Osprey, are the better known courses, behind Cougar, and lastly, Oak.  

Have fun.  

RE Blanks

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 12:02:32 PM »
Charleston Municipal - you can order a 6 pack of can beer and the ladies at the snack bar will put it in a plastic sack and pour ice over it for you.  No need for coolers.  Good place for cart ball and cheap beer.  Afterwards, I would parlay the trip with a visit to the bowling alley.  Then maybe get some Fried Fish and Oysters at Bowens Island.  And some claim it was originally designed by Raynor.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 12:05:43 PM by RE Blanks »

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 12:06:38 PM »
Ok, you have my feathers ruffled on Kiawah. Do I have to stay at the resort to play there. If so, I'm done because we are staying with relatives and I don't think this would work. If I can just go there and play the thing, maybe I'll check into it.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 12:45:30 PM »
No, you don't have to stay here on Kiawah to play our courses.  Now's a good time to play out here as this is the time when our rates are the lowest.  Tell you what I'll do...  If it makes the difference between playing TOC or not, contact me at mike_vegis@kiawahresort.com and I'll book you at our hotel rate vs. our outside (walk-on) rate ($196 v. $230 per round).

And, I highly recommend Bowen Island for Oysters -- tis the season for Oysters here in the Lowcountry!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 01:04:31 PM »
I didn't know that oysters had a season, but man that sounds good.  Tony, do yourself a favor and splurge to see TOC at K.  It is a must see for the serious GCA fan.  Maybe you could sneak a peek at Cascada on the way, although it is private.  If it isn't busy, sometimes if you ask real nice, the super might allow you to just walk along periphery or something to snap a few photos.

I played Goose Creek once somewhere in north Charleston.  It is a homesite course by Art Hills that has about 6 good holes.  But, it is a parade of homes sort of thing.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 03:32:29 PM »
TOC-K ranks as my #1 favorite track, although my travel has been limited thus far to the Southeast US.  

Bulls Bay is a private course that is a must-play if you can get on.  

Andy Hughes

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 03:35:03 PM »
Mike V, am I reading you right, that $196 or $230 per round is the lowest rates of the year? What is high season/cost?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

JNC Lyon

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 05:00:47 PM »
Charleston Muni is a fun track.  I only played nine holes, but I remeber some fun golf.  Supposedly there is Raynor influence, and I remember one Raynoresque green site.  For eats, Reeves offers the best barbeque in town, south of Charleston.

The Ocean Course is a lot of fun, but not my favorite, seeing as i only played it once, and that was a couple years ago.  Probably worth the cash.

I did visit Briar's Creek on the Kiawah River, but did not play.  Very cool place, totally isolated (the sign for it doesn't have a name on it!!), but the setting is awesome.  Recommended if you can get on.

Most of my golf in Charleston was played at Seabrook Island, just South of Kiawah.  The Willard Byrd course is fun, nine holes in the woods, nine in dunesland/marshland, with some strategically interesting holes.  There is housing, but the course is definitely walkable. Not great, but certainly a fun place.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 05:02:49 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »
For eats, Reeves offers the best barbeque in town, south of Charleston.

Where is that located exactly since I am down in Charleston at least once a month, and I have never eaten there.

The Ocean Course is a lot of fun, but not my favorite, seeing as i only played it once, and that was a couple years ago.  Probably worth the cash.

One thing I will tell you about TOC I have played it about 4-5 times in my life, and just like the original TOC I think it gets better every time you play it.  The first few times I think my senses were overloaded with the visual stimulation and sensory overload you get on just about every hole, thanks to the ocean and Mr. Dye's handiwork.  the more you play it and can try to look past those things the more the great subtle details become more noticable.  It is a great course the first time you play it for all the obvious reasons, but it is one that truely grows on you from there the more you play it also.

I did visit Briar's Creek on the Kiawah River, but did not play.  Very cool place, totally isolated (the sign for it doesn't have a name on it!!), but the setting is awesome.  Recommended if you can get on.

Even just getting out to see Briar's is tough to do JNC.  I have had the pleasure of playing it a couple times and it is a wonderful track.  But you are right it is tough to get on.

One thing to keep in mind is the geography.  From the courses way north that have been mentioned:  Bulls Bay, Wild Dunes, Dunes West, Rivertown, Charleston National all the way down to the ones on the south end.  Kiawah Courses, Seabrook Island, and Charleston Muni is probably a distance of 1 Hr depending on traffic times
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Robert Kimball

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 10:16:09 PM »
If good, fresh seafood is your game after golf, you gotta visit Hyman's. The oysters alone.......

Seabrook is very enjoyable, and alot of fun without the Kiawah crowd (or demand). And Patriot's Point is a lot of fun to play, just have the mindset that you are just going to have fun playing golf. The 17th is an island green with a good view of Charleston Harbor and Ft. Sumter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back