News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Rees Jones visits Cog Hill Dubsdread
« on: November 04, 2005, 08:34:27 AM »
From today's www.dailysouthtown.com

Here are excerpts from today's article by Tim Cronin
on Rees Jones' ideas for Cog Hill's Dubsdread course. A US Open in the works?

"Rees Jones recently visited Cog Hill's Dubsdread course for an in-depth survey.

Bulldozers may soon follow.

Cog Hill president Frank Jemsek said he expects to commission Jones, one of the most highly regarded golf-course architects, to renovate the Lemont course, built by Dick Wilson and Joe Lee in 1964 and home of the Western Open since 1991.

"We're fairly well sold on him," Jemsek said, speaking for his family. "I think that everybody likes him and is impressed with him."

Jones is expected to forward a contract to Jemsek soon. With the financial terms would be a comprehensive plan for a renovation.

"They would draw up a master plan and we would then come in with our comments," Jemsek said.

Jones' day-long examination of the course included suggestions on where to reposition greens, bunkers and tees, though the routing itself — which runs across hillsides on the bluffs above the Des Plaines Valley — will not be tampered with. Instead, it will be brought up to date.

"He wants to challenge the best players in the world, but doesn't want to beat up the average player," Jemsek said. "I was impressed with him."

Among the suggestions was to move the third green, now at the end of a dogleg left, to the right, making the green smaller and allowing for the adjacent fourth hole, currently a straightaway par 4, to be bent into a dogleg with a much more difficult tee shot."
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Robert Thompson

Re:Rees Jones visits Cog Hill Dubsdread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 08:57:14 AM »
Do you get the impression Jemsek was "impressed," since he says it in both of his quotes? Rees must truly be impressive.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 09:13:32 AM »
anyone know how Rees got to be THE Open doctor?  was it simply based on his work at The Country Club for the 88 Open:  "He did a good job there, so let's just keep using him"?!?

hmmmmm, there's talk of moving the Western around, which would make Cog available for an Open, and now Rees enters the picture....what timing, huh?!?!? ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 11:01:23 AM »
I think a chainsaw is a better starter than a bulldozer.

I have always loved Dubsdread, but it certainly can be made better, but I hope not too much "fairer".

Amen brother...start at the right end of the "spectrum" and work from there.  Why move big earth features, when a few open cooridors and some reshaping of easier features may be the best ticket to start with?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 11:20:44 AM »
If they do this to perhaps get an Open, do you really think they will widen the corridors in an effort to "please" the USGA?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 11:24:22 AM »
Any recommendations on how to make the 10th more difficult?  That must be the easiest of any of the non-par 5s on the course.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 11:28:20 AM »
 a good point about 10, Ace...Tiger nearly drove the green this year, I think...no room to back up the tee there either, as 1 fairway is right behind it

I don't recall any driveable par 4s at an Open....

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 11:33:08 AM »
If they do this to perhaps get an Open, do you really think they will widen the corridors in an effort to "please" the USGA?

No, they won't...but trees hanging down into bunkers that restrict your backswing and bowling alley-wide tee shots due to overhanging tree limbs is NOT my idea of strategic golf.

But that's just me...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 12:05:39 PM »
#7 at Olympic is and was driveable.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 12:13:03 PM »
Bill and Kevin - I wasn't sure about that.....nothing wrong about one , of course, but problem with 10 there, imho, is that right now there is nothing terribly dramatic about the hole - true for the rest of the course as well!, I think- nor anything that makes it truly punitive if you miss

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 12:14:58 PM »
How are they going to distinguish it from Medinah #3 when he's done?  Sorry...easy cheap shot.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 01:00:19 PM »
It is a shame they aren't considering new corridors. The property has plenty of natural features that could be utilized to create something special.

As for #10. It's a transition hole to get over to the last 8. The small bunker ringed green is not bad, it even reminds me of a Tillie par five green. However, the rest of the hole, is just flat, tree filled nothingness.

T_MacWood

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 04:57:27 PM »
Dick Wilson is spinning in his grave (albeit on a wobbly axis) -- his hated rival's son recasting one of his proudest designs.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 06:23:17 PM »
Steve Shaffer,

The real question is:

Why does Jemsek want to alter the golf course ?

Is it because he didn't like Wilson's work, or is it to counter the impact of technology ?

If he didn't choose Rees, who would have been the next candidate ?

The problem lies in Jemsek's perceived need to alter the course, not with the architect he chose to carry out his wishes.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 06:34:30 PM »
This might be somewhat off topic, however, the article specifically says Rees is, "one of the most highly regarded golf-course architects."  Is this actually true?  And if it is, in what circles are we talking about?  I don't have nearly the problem with him that many here do, and have only played one course (Torrey Pines) that he's redone, but from that experience, he is markedly repetitive.

I've also played Cog Hill and would simply hope and pray that he doesn't alter some of the better holes too much.  I thought the stretch of 12 through 16 were incredible.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 06:52:03 PM »
Please hide the course next time he comes to town.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 06:55:28 PM »
The problem lies in Jemsek's perceived need to alter the course, not with the architect he chose to carry out his wishes.

Problem? What problem?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 09:09:45 PM »
Pat Mucci

There have been other articles on Cog Hill where Jemsek has expressed interest in having a US Open at Cog Hill and bringing in Jones, probably at the USGA's suggestion,to doctor the course is the ticket to getting an Open. Now that the Western Open will be a rota of courses as dictated by the PGA Tour for the new FedEx Cup, the USGA can come to Chicago in a year when the Western Open is not at Cog Hill. He was probably told by the USGA that the course needed work to hold an Open. Certainly, the other facilities and space for tents are there.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back