News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Prioritizing Restorations
« on: October 04, 2005, 05:47:35 PM »
A Golf Course with a limited maintenance budget, but dedicated superintendent decides to go through a renovation/restoration. Among the plans are tree removal, fairway widening, green expansion and bunker work. Some new tees are to be added as well as expanded.

How should the super prioritize the work given that only one or two of the above projects can be completed in a given season's budget? Time is of no consequence, just a desire to reach the vision of the restoration/renovation.

wsmorrison

Re:Prioritizing Restorations
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 06:08:04 PM »
Kyle,

As a general rule of thumb, wouldn't you do the bunkers first?  Bunkers are the architectural feature that most golfers remember.  Its the most costly aspect of a restoration but one that has the biggest impact.  It would only get more expensive if put off but I think you'd want to do them first from a project point of view.  You wouldn't redo the fairways or do green expansions unless you've done the associated bunkers first.  At least the heavy equipment would be done with and the green and fairway expansions can follow.  If there's any removal of material for the bunker work, it can be used for later tee construction.  I'd do tee additions and expansions along with the fairway and green expansions.  But I'm not sure; it is just intuitive.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 06:24:50 PM »
Wayne,

Interesting. My first reaction would be the greens. Expanding greens offers more hole locations, more angles and may bring hazards into play that weren't as in play as before. That or tree removal. How did Rolling Green do things?

Though I can see how fixing bunkers and putting some teeth back in them may cause interest.

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 06:31:11 PM »
"How did Rolling Green do things?"

I presumed you asked because you'd interpret that the opposite would be correct ;D

I think getting the bunkers right would really spark an interest in a general sense.  Depending upon the specific state of affairs at this course, it is more overt than green expansion or fairway expansion and it isn't so hard to get past the membership as tree removal.

Whatever is done, it should be an integrated process and the best way to do that is a long range restoration and master plan in conjunction with an educated membership.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 06:34:53 PM »
In my case, I am assuming a master plan has been made, and the club/course is at the implementation stage. Like Gil's plan with Rolling Green, there still seems to be discussion and changes happening there... how were changes prioritized and then implemented?

I'd imagine individual holes or maybe sections of the course for ease of traffic flow, but within those holes, what was done first/second/third, etc?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 06:46:28 PM »
Kyle:

We always advise that clubs do all of the least expensive and non-invasive procedures first ... correcting mowing lines on greens and fairways, and tree removal.

I'm not surprised if you get a lot more answers about "bunkers first," because that's where contractors and architects make their money, and bunker styling seems to be a fetish for golfers these days.  But giving the bunkers a new haircut is cosmetic, and does little for the strategic interest of the course.

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 07:32:57 PM »
Well, there you go Kyle.  I was wrong about that.  But I assumed that the bunker changes were not about cosmetics and styling but more to do with drainage and playability.  It was more of my financial background that promoted getting the expensive stuff done first because its going to be more expensive down the road.  I'd listen to Tom on this one.  He knows what he's doing and I was only speculating.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 07:33:27 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 07:40:29 PM »
Kyle,

Fairway lines and trees should come first.

But, they usually come with an additional price tag, a revamped irrigation system.

Bunker projects are expensive, and if you do them first the club may lose its will and ability to fund the rest of the projects, so I'd go with Tom Doaks suggestion to prioritize in reverse order of expenditure.

PjW

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 07:46:40 PM »
Kyle:

First create a detailed budget on the cost of the work.  Divide the work into seqments such as a greens complex, tee complex, or bunker complex.  Fit the amount of work you can do in one capital season to a scope to fit that budget.  Try not to open up to many areas at one time and make sure you can complete per your schedule.  Try not to work on one area more than once.  Consider out sourcing work which will put a drain on your resources.  Make sure you have the backing of the club.

As a rule of thumb figure you are going to disturb twice as much area as you are planning to remodel.  Tie-in's are critical.   8)

Phil

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 08:24:51 PM »
I can't imagine even doing the new mow lines unless the tree removal is done. It's critical to establish sight lines, and that doesn't happen with trees in the way. Also, from an agronomic standpoint, I wouldn't reccommend cutting anything shorter unless the shade and other tree nasties (roots, competition, etc.) are not an issue.

Start with tree removal, and make it wholesale clearing if the budget allows. Then, make your next move with mow lines, green expansion or renovation, then bunker work.....and perhaps decide whether new tees are wanted.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 09:47:28 PM »
Tom's answer is dead on target, whether a club has lots of money or very little. Changing grass lines is relatively cheap, very slow, very tough on the superintendent, but incredibly rewarding when it is complete. Almost all the compliments for Scranton come from changing grass lines, removing massive amounts of trees and regrowing the long grasses. The bunkers will be the last project.

Bunkers are popular since they provide the most immediate gratification.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 09:56:15 PM »
Engage a golf course architect you trust — and who is appropriate for the work. That is how a club should prioritize.

Or, you can seek the advice of GCA posters. That, unfortunately, has not proven successful for many projects. Albeit very entertaining and mentally stimulating.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 10:01:26 PM »
Engage a golf course architect you trust — and who is appropriate for the work. That is how a club should prioritize.

Or, you can seek the advice of GCA posters. That, unfortunately, has not proven successful for many projects. Albeit very entertaining and mentally stimulating.

Forrest,

By posting this, did you disqualify yourself? ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 10:03:41 PM »
I hope not. Giving advice differs from outlining advice.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:04:19 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

David Druzisky

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 10:59:18 PM »
If we were smart we would all secretly agree not to allow any client do any of the work in stages.  Do it all in one effort. ;)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 01:03:33 AM »
We did the trees first at my club out of pure need but I'm not sure I would do it again if I was in charge.  The bunkers and greens are in dire need but we are on the defensive after all of the tree work.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 08:26:27 AM »
There is no actual project that this is motivated in, just my own thoughts regarding the PSU White Course. I was wondering where everyone stood on the issue and was hoping to hear about some past instances where clubs were forced to prioritize and plan for a medium to long term restoration/renovation.

Hoping to incite discussion.

mike_malone

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 08:34:39 AM »
Kyle,

I am beginning to think a good idea is to do an entire hole. Let the members see how it looks from tee to green.
AKA Mayday

Kyle Harris

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 08:39:16 AM »
Mike,

I am inclined to agree with you if the entire workload is handled in house. Would it make sense, on a tight budget, to outsource for just one hole at a time?

mike_malone

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 08:47:54 AM »
It would be more practical to do the work inhouse on the one hole. You usually have the manpower for that. The outside contractors are best for bigger projects.

Bunker work where the goal is a uniform look on all holes ends up with contractors. The results of this for classic courses has been talked to death on this site.

Another thought I have is to do the "winter" work first. This is usually tree removal. Much can be accomplished. When the golfers return in the spring they see the benefits.
AKA Mayday

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 12:43:01 PM »
  I am beginning to think a good idea is to do an entire hole. Let the members see how it looks from tee to green.

I wouldn't do an entire hole unless its god awful and everyone hates it.  You'll then find a few people who did like it and a few who will not like the new hole.  Then you are behind an eightball and everything else you do is under the microscope.

I would try and find a few trees to trim and something that everyone hates and try to improve it.  As a result you'll get some approval from the club and its membership.  Then you could go wild.

I assume you are doing this under the radar without full board or membership approval and working within the supers budget?

Stan Burton

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 03:53:30 PM »
Kyle,
Having been in the recent throws of renovation work I would do the following:
1. create a Master Plan fully equipped with a wish list.
2. consult with your original architect or if they are not available, hire a new one.
3. consult with the person(s) that are actually going to be doing the earth work.  This should not be your supt. unless he has great experience in shaping.  I have found this to be the key component to any restoration project.  The right shaper can make it look like it has been there forever and not an add-on.
4. establish a time line and soft budget.
5. double the expected dollar amount on the afore mentioned budget and you are ready to begin.
6. and finally communicate with your members as to what you are doing and the benefits of it long term and short term.

with bent grass, changing mowing patterns and grass lines on your greens will take a considerable amount of time.  It is not as simple as lowering your mowers.  There will be considerable stress placed on the recovered areas and you will be forced to treat the entire green the same.  This will bring about a reduction in green speed and a considerable change in your greens program for several seasons.  Please inform your members that your greens will take a step back before they realize the benefits of having the greens back to the size they were designed to be.

good luck, your process is a long one!
Stan

Joe Hancock

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 05:45:41 PM »
I must add that my previous list assumes the parties involved have already agreed that the work is necessary. If there is a lot of demonstration needed, or the political climate to get the work going is less than ideal, then all lists are out the window. What is needed to convince a club to do the right might might be a demo bunker, or a demo green, or a demo tree removal(what? not a tree planting?). It won't be the same for everyone.

Joe

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 06:48:45 PM »
Kyle,

Mike,

That's a formula for disaster.

No matter how good a job is done, objections will follow, which leads to divisiveness regarding the entire project.
And, if it turns out less than satisfactory, the project is dead.

You have to sell the concept of the restoration in a global sense and not as an experiment where one hole is the guinea pig.

And, if you can't sell the project, get a new board that can, review your admissions policies or forget about it. ;D
[/color]

mike_malone

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 08:30:06 AM »
Pat,
     I assume agreement has already been reached on the plan. I think if you can't do the work well enough to please the membership, then you shouldn't do the restoration anyway. It's like "a picture is worth a thousand words". Let them "see" the benefits.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back