News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Mike Clayton's Ranfurlie
« on: September 11, 2005, 02:19:17 PM »
There's been a lot of talk about Barnbougle Dunes and some about St. Andrews Beach.

How about Ranfurlie?

I've seen some photos of the course, including a few excellent shots in Paul Daley's new book, that grab my attention.

Has anyone played Ranfurlie?

The course looks excellent... very low-key, understated and rugged.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 02:19:51 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Tom_Doak

Re:Mike Clayton's Ranfurlie
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 04:57:54 PM »
Jeff:  I've played the course, and it's very good.  

It's not in the same category as Barnbougle or St. Andrews Beach because Michael & co. did not have the same sort of terrain to work with ... except for a few large trees which they used strategically, the site is very open and windswept, and the contours are very broad.  I would venture to say it is not the sort of property which any young designer would want to stake his reputation upon.

Considering that, it is really a remarkably good course.  The greens and bunker construction is very well done, and in many cases insists that you play the approach from one side of the fairway over the other.  I really like how they ramped the greens up from the front to allow a running approach.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 05:16:08 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts, Tom.

Based on the photos I've seen, it appears the property wasn't ideal. But still, again, the course looks very interesting. And it appears "old", which to my way of thinking is wonderful!

Like St. Andrews Beach, the architecture appears to be very much lay-of-the-land.
jeffmingay.com

Big Pete

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 06:35:58 AM »
Jeff
I have played Ranfurlie a couple of times , and walked it a couple more as caddy in pennant .
My impressions were that the course being so open reminds of the old term"playing fields" because you can virtually see all the other holes as you go around .
I would also say that it is a "players course" which would appeal to the thinking golfer , but may not have the same appeal to the social golfer . I know some of the ladies found it less friendly .
It is a very good golf course however , and a stringent test of golf . Mike Clayton's done a terrific job....

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 08:57:20 AM »
I've been fortunate enough to play the course a few times. I always look forward to a game there. Lots of fun, and good strategic problems to encounter throughout the round.

There's good variety in hole structure, green complexes, and a nasty little problem of a sharp rise around the clubhouse has been dealt with well, especially with holes 9 and 10.

I concur with Peter's comments re: Ranfurlie as a Player's Course. Strategic, certainly not picturesque, and a wonderful job on a plot that lends itself more to rice farming than the sport of golf.

Matthew
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 09:04:49 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 09:15:30 AM »
Strategic, certainly not picturesque,

I have heard a a few people say this and I am not sure I totally agree.  I think at the right time of day and the right time of year it is definetly a pretty course.  Whilst it doesn't look great as you come into the carpark, there are several great vanatage points on the course that give good views over the course, defined by some excellent bunkers and roughs.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 01:23:19 PM »
In photos, the golf course looks very attractive... in a Garden City kinda way!
jeffmingay.com

Paul_Daley

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 07:05:03 AM »
For a variety of reasons, be it the landform, location or marketing, this course is virtually unknown to an army of Melbourne golfers. Those who play it just once, don't seem to understand or appreciate its subtle virtues. Although the overall property is flattish, there are a few dramatic elevation rises. The big plusses are its sound bunkering and several stellar angled appraoches to greens. The greens are not repulsive in any way, either. Ranfurlie provides an enjoyable golfing experience - a solid debut MC design. My guess is that it is ten years away from gaining street cred.

Big Pete

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 06:30:09 PM »
Following our esteemed author's trail so to speak , re Clayton design's initial efforts one notes the effort at Ranfurlie , a number of pretty neat renovation jobs such as Peninsula Nth , and dare I say Rosanna? - where members such as myself are impatient to see the next step , and then Mike's involvement at Barnbougle .
Clayton design has a bit on it's plate at the moment , so I suggest there will be some interest in their next few projects , and if these are well received - Look out!!
Note also Mike Keiser has mentioned Clayton as an emerging talent...

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 07:42:10 PM »
Following our esteemed author's trail so to speak , re Clayton design's initial efforts one notes the effort at Ranfurlie , a number of pretty neat renovation jobs such as Peninsula Nth , and dare I say Rosanna? - where members such as myself are impatient to see the next step , and then Mike's involvement at Barnbougle .
Clayton design has a bit on it's plate at the moment , so I suggest there will be some interest in their next few projects , and if these are well received - Look out!!
Note also Mike Keiser has mentioned Clayton as an emerging talent...

Peter

you may dare say Rosanna.  It is a delightful club, and the changes there have been dramatic (and torturous at times I understand).  Rosanna's  is certainly a model my club Blackwood is following in part in conjunction with Mike Clayton.  Rosanna has the advantadge of some lovely Vern Morcom greens/bunkering as well.

We have recently commenced tree removal (not as significantly as Rosanna, yet!).  I had a lovely favourable comment from a member who is in to cricket as well as golf.  He said playing golf on the amended holes now versus yesterday was akin to shifting from batting in the nets (practice) out to playing in the middle of the oval. :)
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 11:38:58 PM »
I've gotten to know Mike Clayton through some email correspondence, and sincerely respect his thoughts and ideas about golf in general, and course architecture in particular.  

Moreover, the photos I've seen of his work is very, very exciting - Ranfurlie, Barnbougle, St. Andrews Beach, and some of the aforementioned renovation/restoration work. Absolutely wonderful stuff... stuff that may possibly be thrusting Australian golf course design into a "renaissance" period, if everyone is lucky!

Hats off to Mike and his talented team!
jeffmingay.com

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 11:51:07 PM »
Jeff,

You need to get down here and see Royal Melbourne and the other 15 courses worth seeing in Australia.(There are plenty of free beds down here and they tell me your winter -our summer - it pretty ordinary) Almost all the best courses are within an hours drive of where I'm sitting. The other 3 - Barnbougle,NSW and Royal Adelaide are all an hours flight away.

Ranfurlie was a lot of fun simply because it was our first big job and I'm not sure we were too worried about staking our reputation on the land.We knew it was good enough to build something good and getting any job down here is good!

Women generally detest the course because it is no physical beauty  - read big trees-  but I think those who understand what they are lookng at really like it.

One bloke told me it was 'the worst course he had ever seen!'
What can you say to that other than 'well,you obviously have no clue what you are looking at!"

Big Pete

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 04:02:25 AM »
Clayts
If it was the worst course he had seen , perhaps it is the only one?
Which also makes it the best...
Not that I can see you worrying about turkeys like that!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back