News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Hughes

Myrtle Beach August 14-20
« on: July 25, 2005, 02:01:20 PM »
I'll be in Myrtle Beach the week of August 14-20 or so (MattW, stop that snickering right now!). Wanted to see if anyone had any interest in joining me for some golf?  Also wanted to see if anyone had particularly strong feelings on recommendations.  
I am hoping to play True Blue at some point, as a true lover of Tobacco Road.
Any thoughts on Tom Doak's course at the Legends--is it actually a Doak course?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tony_Chapman

Re:Myrtle Beach August 14-20
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 02:44:23 PM »
Andy - You must play Caledonia. A wonderful golf course in my opinion. You can check out both Caledonia and True Blue via www.fishclub.com

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 02:50:44 PM »
I played Buccaneer's Bay on Saturday.  Had a hole-in-one on the 3rd hole.  Fun course, lots of options and angles and very reasonable green-fees.  

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 02:56:53 PM »
Sandbox - I, too, have played there. Did you find the 'turf' running fast and firm as it usually does there?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 03:32:15 PM »
Good one, Brian.  I have yet to have the pleasure of "teeing" it up at BB.  I've made an ace or two at a couple of the links on the north end....

Andy,

Yes, Heathland is a Doak course, one of his earliest designs.  It's a "faux links" course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 03:34:06 PM »
"Ace" Gracely.  Hmmm.  8)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 04:22:12 PM »
Andy - Caledonia has been closed since June 16 to regrass the greens and make a few other "adjustments." They are currently scheduled to reopen on August 16. You could be catching the course at the absolute best time to play since it originally opened! Call the course and check on the condition of the greens before you make serious plans to play there.

Doak's "Heathland Course" is one of my very favorite on the Grand Strand. You'll have a great time there.

I'm also going to be in the Grand Strand area around the same time as you. Email me and we can compare notes on a possible game or two.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 06:38:47 PM »
Guys,

Who designed Buccaneer's Bay?

I haven't been to MB in a few years, but thought I knew pretty much everything there.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 06:57:13 PM »
Mike

I believe it was C.L. Ownsmouth

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 07:01:05 PM »
Andy

Be sure to play both Caledonia and True Blue to appreciate the range of Mike Stranz's talent. He will be missed!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 09:55:48 PM »
The Heathland Course at The Legends is indeed a true "Doak course" -- my second solo design.  I spent a lot more time on the dozer there than I have anywhere lately.

I did a bit of work on the Parkland Course there before retiring from the job because the owner and I were pulling in opposite directions.  Not many people know it, but Mike Strantz actually helped finish that course, just before building Caledonia.  The holes Gil Hanse and I worked on were #'s 12-16 plus a couple on the front nine, although I don't know if they kept the stuff we built on the front.

We would have had a Raynor-style horseshoe mound within the 13th green, but that was one of the things the client didn't like.

The courses I enjoyed playing most when I lived down there were The Dunes, Wachesaw (the original Fazio course), DeBordieu, and Tidewater.  Caledonia was built afterward, but I would highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 09:58:26 PM by Tom_Doak »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 11:00:53 PM »
Rob Waldron,

Too FUNNY!  ;D

To answer the original question, I'm a big fan of The Dunes, Caledonia, True Blue (until the last 2-3 holes, which are a letdown), Legends Heathland (Parkland is pretty good, as well, if a slog at times), Tidewater's ok with some cool low-lying stuff, and I enjoyed Norman's course at Barefoot Landing (although my guess is that the ambiance has now been destroyed by rows of housing...i played when that was just getting underway).

Jfaspen

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 07:45:58 AM »
Definitly play Caledonia if the conditions are nice.. Playing the 18th there at sunset is a sureal experience.
Also check out Heritage club, Mike Stranz did the green complexes there.  I found it a very enjoyable course.  I've played parkland at the legends and found it to be a good course, I can't wait to get to heathland.

Enjoy the grand strand

Jeff

Andy Hughes

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 12:03:09 PM »
Sandbox, you seem to play different courses since fatherhood found you ;)

Michael, sounds good. I'll send you a PM.  I hope you are OK playing with a Paladin grad? :)

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 03:14:04 PM »
I hate to admit I agree with Mike Cirba about The Dunes (Best course at the Beach IMHO). Tom D's Heathland Course at The Legends is a wonderful tribute to the heathland courses of Scotland and Ireland. Tidewater was always one of my favorites, however the conditioning was lacking my past few visits. The housing development has destoyed much of the ambiance. On the north side of MB is another of my favorites, Tigers Eye.

If you play any of the Barefoot Courses stick with the Love, Fazio and Dye. Do not even bother with the Norman. My thoughts after playing it were either he got stuck with the last choice of properties or he did not do a very good job with what he had to work with. My understanding is that he had either first or second choice of properties!

The Heritage is also a fun layout. Hopefully the conditions have improved their as well.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 03:24:24 PM »
Well, Rob was going along pretty well there and then he veered seriously off course.  

The Love Course at Barefoot Landing is a good cure for insomnia, the Fazio course is beach bunker city, while the Dye course is Fugly as a bear's butt.

But worst of all is his recommendation of THe Heritage, which has perhaps the best drive in public course leading to an incredible clubhouse.  The course however, is golf's version of the movie "Battlefield Earth"; overwrought, campy, trying too hard to be futuristic, important, and melodramatic.  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:25:07 PM by Mike Cirba »

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 06:44:19 PM »
Mike

You forgot "challenging", "fun", "memorable" in your description of Heritage!

Brian Cenci

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 08:55:06 PM »
The Thistle Club just north of the Grand Strand is a nice course.  Some very interesting and fun holes.  Played it there earlier this year.  The Doak course is a nice course also.

-Brian

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 09:44:24 PM »
Mike

You forgot "challenging", "fun", "memorable" in your description of Heritage!

Rob,

I didn't forget.  ;)  ;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 08:37:02 AM »
Andy - Looking forward to it. Some of my best friends are Paladins!  ;)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ted Kramer

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 08:47:10 AM »
Caledonia is a must play in the Myrtle area.
And a 36 hole day of Cal/True Blue is a definite winner.

Not many people mention Heather Glen, I happen to think it is a solid 27 hole complex.

-Ted

Andy Hughes

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 10:44:01 AM »
Rob/Mike,
Is the Dunes one of those courses that you need to be staying somewhere to special to play, or is it open to all like most of the other ~ 100 courses?
I played there years ago; wish I remembered it  :-\

TomD, thanks, I dimly recalled that you had begun something at the Legends and that you parted ways before completion. I didn't realize you had already finished one course there before that.

Also, we did play Caledonia several times over the years, and would second those who have lauded it.  Between that and moreso Tobacco Road, True Blue is the course I most wish to play in MB.  Though Buccaneer Bay sounds exciting as well, and how often do you get to play an original Ownsmouth?  ;)
Andy

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 08:47:24 PM »
Just back home a couple of hours ago from a week at Myrtle, and saw this thread.  Myrtle get killed on GCA often, and I consider it to be grossly unfair.  It has always smacked of serious elitism to me, because the architecture just isn't bad.  I think the clientele here often forgets that it is coastal golf in the SE, which means that the climate prevents a lot of the elements of design that are so prized on this site.  For instance, "firm and fast" simply isn't a real possibility much of the year.  

However, every year I play courses at MB that would be considered very good if they were located elsewhere, but are considered mundane in the volume of MB golf.  Dan Maples' design, The Witch, is a good example.  It is a fine track, enjoyable for all levels of golfers, and pretty to boot, but doesn't stand out there.  If the exact same course was here in Atlanta, it would be highly regarded and considered to be a very solid course, whether public or private. Tom Jackson is another GCA whose work at MB is extensive, but overlooked, IMHO. But I digress...

My thoughts on courses:

1. If Caledonia has reopened, the 36-hole, 1-day double with True Blue is the best deal at the beach.  Both are wonderful, totally different, and right across the street from each other.
Regardless of where you are staying, make the effort to get there.

2. Heathland is well worth the time; played for the second and third time there this trip, and I like it more each time.  Skip the Moorlands; it's dopey.  Haven't played the Parkland course.  (I just read the item about Strantz working there that Tom Doak mentions here in a tribute piece to Strantz in one of the local papers, and I'll be sure to hit Parkland next year.)

3. On the north end, Thistle is a good golf course, and Tiger's Eye at Ocean Ridge Plantation is worth the effort.  I also like River's Edge in Shallote, NC a lot; get there if you can.  I like Heather Glen and Glen Dornoch both, but they are second tier to the courses mentioned above.  Oyster Bay is good, and is part of the Legends group, so multi-round packages are available.

4. I enjoyed the Love course at Barefoot, the only one of the 4 courses there that I have played.  It is not as good as DLIII's course at Kinderlou, but still a solid golf course, and the 16th hole is one of the best par 4's I have ever played.  Absolutely a wonderful hole.

My budget is always limited, so I've haven't hit the Dunes yet.  It is always over $100, even in the summer when everybody else is cutting deals, and I just can't take the weight in a week where I play everyday.  Someday...

Enjoy the trip, and enjoy the golf.  There is excellent golf to be had at MB, and lots of it, regardless of what some here will say.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 09:09:11 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Andy Hughes

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 04:13:52 PM »
Just back home a couple of hours ago from a week at Myrtle, and saw this thread.  Myrtle get killed on GCA often, and I consider it to be grossly unfair.  It has always smacked of serious elitism to me, because the architecture just isn't bad............  
Enjoy the trip, and enjoy the golf.  There is excellent golf to be had at MB, and lots of it, regardless of what some here will say.
Thanks for the info A.G.
Fortunately, I am one of those who likes, to one extent or another, almost every single course I have ever played.  I have always enjoyed the trips to MB, and I am sure I will this year as well--looks like Heathland and True Blue will be the two I most try to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back