News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Character Examination
« on: June 30, 2005, 12:44:12 PM »
I have been trying to play some competitive golf this year (after about a 20 year hiatus) and have been struck by how common it is for those playing in events to complain about everything.  It sure is a marked contrast from the smiling faces at Sand Hills.  

Some recent examples:

Complaint about a hole with trees to the right of the tee and a pond on the left in the landing area of a driver (guess whether he was a right to left player).  The hole is short enough to hit a 3-wood short of the pond and have 160 into the green.

Greens too slow.  Greens too fast.

Criticism of a treeless course by a good player who explained, "I'm a traditionalist.  I like a course with a lot of trees and not so much wind."

Universal allegations of sandbagging in a handicap competition.  

Complaints about slow play even though the complainer wasn't much quicker and our foursome played in four hours.  

Making fun of a player who is grinding.

"Perspective guys" who in one instance are talking about how nice it is to be out on a beautiful day and in the next instance are swearing a blue streak over a poor shot.

I think players were precisely the same 20 years ago.  It is funny what a bit of nervousness does to personalities.  

Is my experience universal?  I find myself having to fight joining in the whine fest.  Do better players complain less?

Pat Brockwell

Re:Character Examination
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 12:50:32 PM »
By my definition a player that doesn't always have to fabricate complaints is the better player, regardless of scores and skills.

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 03:06:30 PM »
"Perspective guys" who in one instance are talking about how nice it is to be out on a beautiful day and in the next instance are swearing a blue streak over a poor shot.

I think these are independent and that those of us who live, die, and self-flagellate over every shot are equally capable of enjoying the day.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike McGuire

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:22:10 PM »
Jason -

Most people/players are intent on creating drama...don't emulate them.

You mentioned your return the competitve side. I like the attitude of Gary Player.... he was quoted during a tournament saying how he liked the fast greens. The next week the greens were slow and he said... man I love the slow greens....

He just accepted the situation and gained an advantage over the field every time.

I l have not evovled to that level. If the greens are slow I whine.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 10:25:36 AM »
I too have returned to playing some competitions after a 25 year lay off, and everytime a "youngster" tees it up with me I flashback to when I was kid and I scared the heck out of the adults with my long drives and total lack of fear.  Now I know how it must have felt to have a 15 year old hand you your lunch.

I've been playing a lot of golf lately with a new guy on our maintinence crew who plays to a 1 handicap. He considers the Portsmouth (NH) Country Club his "home course" and still maintains his membership there. He pushes me to focus, take my time to look at my shot, and use better course management, two things I thing you lose when you stop competing. The results have been some of the best golf I've played in years.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 03:34:58 PM »
Remember the old Saying aboout the "little boy who complained because he had no shoes until he saw another little boy who had no feet"

Tell the complainers they a whinners and they need to grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

One guy who used to play with us was banned from our group because he whinned like a baby. We warned him he was no fun to play with....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 03:36:36 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 09:20:44 AM »
I can't stand playing with people who feel the need to tell me the (supposed) reason(s) for EACH of their bad shots..

cannot they realize that it was just a shitty shot that they themselves are solely responsible for?  I don't want to hear how they haven't played much lately, the wind came up at the last second, yada, yada, yada.........

excuses, excuses........GOD I HATE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back